Search for content in message boards

duplicate person won't merge - Ancestry or FTM issue?

duplicate person won't merge - Ancestry or FTM issue?

Posted: 21 Oct 2013 4:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
Greetings:

Running updated FTM 2104 on 64 bit Windows 7 Pro on HP latop with i3 core processor. I sync regularly in small batches.

I'm trying to clean up my FTM files by correcting old imported errors ... when I did not know any better. :-) Most of it was easily fixable with duplicate persons easily dispatched or merged. Even complex and obscure merges were successfully corrected and merged. But I have one I cannot merge no matter what I seem to do:

Louis the Pious (778-840) son of Charlemagne, had two wives: Ermengarde (778-818) and Judith (795-843)

I have corrected all impossible dates such as a birth after a mother/father died ... for Louis, his wives, his parents and his children. I have also detached phantom spouses such that Louis exists as two separate people in my list, each time married to a different spouse and having the appropriate different children ... and no other attachments. The two Louis' show the exact same data in every field.

Yet, when I run the person data error report it still shows phantom errors that were long since corrected. And, the two Louis' refuse to be merged in umteen permutations.

So my question is, can Ancestry comparison data or old sources in my FTM files over ride current FTM field data when it comes to attempts at FTM merges? Better yet, are there any tips to make this merge a success?

Thanks
Bo

Re: duplicate person won't merge - Ancestry or FTM issue?

Posted: 22 Oct 2013 9:17AM GMT
In the present and previous versions of FTM, I found problems merging people. Invariably, I found that there was some relationship between the "mergees" which kept the program from merging them. When I removed the relationship the merge worked.

Look on Person tab Relationship.

RONC

Posted: 22 Oct 2013 3:23PM GMT
Thank you RONC.

The only possible relationship conflict I could find here was that both spouses were set as Preferred. But the choices were greyed out and could not be changed, so that only one was Preferred. I did change the Status to Deceased from Ongoing for the first spouse. Yet, the attempt at merging failed again.

Cheers,
Bo

Posted: 22 Oct 2013 4:11PM GMT
Yet, when I run the person data error report it still shows phantom errors that were long since corrected. And, the two Louis' refuse to be merged in umteen permutations

How about trying to change one of the Louis to say John Jones and the try to merge Louis the pious and John Jones

Posted: 22 Oct 2013 5:27PM GMT
In one case, I ended up deleting both of the "mergees" and then adding the one I wanted and manually inserted the info from the other one. This problem has occurred more than once and I think it is related to one of the "mergees" being import via a GED file.

RONC

Posted: 22 Oct 2013 6:58PM GMT
Yes, I have done that before ... as well as in this case ... and no luck yet. Thanks for the ideas though; they are helpful. If you have others, I am game.
Cheers,
Bo

Posted: 22 Oct 2013 7:13PM GMT
Hi Kathy:

I tried your idea four ways, just now:

Replace 1 "Louis" with "John Jones" and forced a merge. No dice.

Then, fixed the 2 Louis' names and forced a merge. No dice.

Then I replaced both Louis' names with John Jones and tried to merge them. Nope.

Changed one letter in Louis, confirmed the name change and then reset to the correct spelling. No dice.

Thank you Kathy.

All ideas are welcome!

I am certainly stumped, since this is the first merge in over 10 years (and 22,000 people later) I have not been able to figure out ... yet.

Cheers all,
Bo

Posted: 22 Oct 2013 8:54PM GMT
Would let me have a copy of your file to see what I can do? Naturally I'll delete it when done. Contact me via a message if you'd like to do it. DropBox is a nice way to share files.

RONC

Re: duplicate person won't merge - Fixed it!!

Posted: 5 Nov 2013 10:52PM GMT
Thank you all, for the suggestions.

Turns out I had to go many generations back and many generations forward to uncover individuals with multiple parents, which each needed to be teased apart.

The tedious yet methodical search gave me a bonus ... my Data Error Reports now have zero critical errors. That's a first. And, it reinforces what many have said elsewhere on this FTM board ... do not trust the data in the Public Member Trees!! I speak from painful experience. :-)

Cheers,
Bo
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions