Search for content in message boards

Seeking infor re:Clogher Family

Seeking infor re:Clogher Family

William Hardin Barnes (View posts)
Posted: 19 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Clogher
Seeking information about Michael Clogher and his wife Mary who lived in Orleans parish. They were Irish immigrants who arrived there about the year 1846. I am especially interested in their daughter, my great-grandmother Margaret Ann Clogher, who married Madison Dewitt Campbell in El Paso, TX in 1885. How did this cloistered Irish-American young woman find her way to El Paso, Texas from New Orleans? Any infoirmation will be greatly valued and appreciated.

Re: Seeking infor re:Clogher Family

John Clogher (View posts)
Posted: 24 Sep 2001 12:39PM GMT
My name is John Clogher, I'm from Athlone, Co. Westmeath in the Republic of Ireland. I'm suprised to find out that Clogher's can be found in America as it is not a common name in Ireland, however Clogher is very common in Co. Roscommon.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Edward Clogher (View posts)
Posted: 9 Oct 2001 3:26PM GMT
I am Edward Jack Clogher born and raised in New Orleans Louisiana. Grandfather was Micheal Edward Clogher and grandmother was Mary. I think her maiden name was Doolin. I have not done much research into the family name but I do know there is a Clogher Ireland.
Is that a town a County or what? Is the name derived from that town in Ireland. Wher is Clogher located exactly?
Waiting to hear from you

Thanks JACK

John Clogher (View posts)
Posted: 10 Oct 2001 10:31AM GMT
Hi,
My name is John Clogher from Athlone, Co. Westmeath in the Rep. of Ireland. My father Brian came froma small village called Dysart in Co. Roscommon. It's a 30 minute drive west from Athlone. My granparents name were Bernard and Rosealeen Clogher.

Jane Turner (View posts)
Posted: 4 Nov 2001 4:21PM GMT
I have the name Clogher in my family history, my great-great grandmother was called Clogher and she was from roscommon and she emigrated to england anywhere from the 1870's onwards. I would be greatful for any info on that family name.

Thanks in advance

Jane Turner

Martin Clougher (View posts)
Posted: 6 Nov 2001 10:44PM GMT
Many of the Cloghers from Dysart CO Roscommon changed the spelling of the name to Clougher circa 1915, from the 1930s they emigrated on masse to Boston where you will still find them today.My grandperents were also from DYSART,
Thomas Clogher and Bridgid MCDONNELL SONS PATRICK, BRENDAN. AND TOMMY, daughter Mary, Brenden died in1989 the others are all still alive in their 80s living in Ireland

martin clougher (View posts)
Posted: 14 Nov 2001 12:55AM GMT
clogher name from ballyminton and dysart in county roscommon emigrated circa 1870s john,james,willie,mary and margaret, also one other sister unknown

martin clougher (View posts)
Posted: 13 Dec 2001 12:23PM GMT
I would suggest that your ansestors left ireland after 1847 after the irish famine. Do you know where in Ireland they are from?

William H. Barnes (View posts)
Posted: 13 Dec 2001 12:48PM GMT
I believe that my Clogher forebears came from Roscommon County. Michael Clogher's first wife was Catherine Bamon. They were my G-G-Grandparents. At some point Catherine Bamon Clogher died and Michael remarried Mary last name unknown. Catherimne and Michael had two children, Mardaret and Luoise. Apparentoly these two childreen were placed in an orphange when Michael was widowed.

Posted: 30 Dec 2001 3:16PM GMT
Edited: 30 Aug 2003 6:37PM GMT
Surnames: Murray, Clogher, Sweeney

I am searching for Clogher's of Roscommon. My ggrandmother was Catherine Clogher, she married a man named Dorsey (don't know his first name) they had two boys James and Patrick. Mr. Dorsey I assume died and Catherine married my ggrandfather Thomas Murray and they had two children Margaret and Mary in Ireland. The came to the US (Massachusetts near Boston) between 1879 and 1884 and had two more children Thomas and Catherine. I was told my ggrandfather (Thomas) had a brother Michael but can't confirm that information. I've been to Ireland several times and tried to research my family but have not been successful. I have been told my grand father was l. born on the ship 2. born in Ireland 3. born in the US.. If you have any information on this family I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thank you,
Kathleen

per page

Find a board about a specific topic