Search for content in message boards

Peitl Immigration

Peitl Immigration

Posted: 4 Oct 2012 9:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
My great great grandmother was Johanna Portelli, Schmidt, Peitl. She immigrated to America in approximately 1870-1875. She came with her husband, Johann Peitl, and children Anna and John Peitl, and Frank and Mary Schmidt. I have been unable to find their names on any passenger lists. The family came from the Zwittau area of Bohemia, Austria. Any ideas about how to find immigration information?

Re: Peitl Immigration

Posted: 8 Oct 2012 3:30PM GMT
I want to ask under what documents do you think that family comes from around town Zwittau (Svitavy today) without any passenger lists? You need to find especially passengers lists or looking where they came from? Thank you

Posted: 9 Oct 2012 8:38PM GMT
There is a family photo that has the photographer's name and city on the back. The name of the city is "Zwittau". I am assuming that the family lived near or in Zuittau. I am looking for where the family actually lived and the name of the name of the ship that they came over on and when they came. They ended up in Sanilac County in Michigan.

Posted: 9 Oct 2012 9:27PM GMT
If you want to find out whether they really came from Svitavy, parish records for Svitavy are at Zámrsk archive http://vychodoceskearchivy.cz/zamrsk/english-page/

Posted: 10 Oct 2012 3:19AM GMT
Thank you

Posted: 15 Oct 2012 11:26PM GMT
I looked a bit around the city Svitavy (formerly Zwittau). Promising locations are Nikl (today Mikuleč), Hopfendorf (today Chmelík), Oberdorf (or Oberdörfel, Klein-Abtsdorf – today Opatovec) and Abtsdorf (today Opatov), perhaps some other. Like written above by aksamitnik01, parish records are at Zámrsk archive on web site http://vychodoceskearchivy.cz/zamrsk/english-page/

If I'm not mistaken, in register births for Oberdörfel (today Opatovec) sign.M28-2374 for years 1801-1825 is on folio 46 (snap 281) written: On 2.7.1824 born in house Nr.47 Johanna, father is Franz Portele a peasant, mother is Theresia daughter of Franz Lug peasant from Oberdorfl. Note the left - June 27, 1876 a copy of baptismal certificate for the purpose of emigration (Auswanderung), picture attached.

In register births for Oberdörfel (today Opatovec) sign.M28-5503 for years 1844-1878 is on folio 10 (snap 10) written: On 4.12.1846 born in house Nr.47 Franciscus, father is Franz Schmid peasant - but it is written here: the father of this child on January 22, 1850 married with the mother of this child, and before witnesses, was declared to be the father... handwritten signature of Franz Schmid on left,... he is a legitimate son of Franz Schmid, a peasant from Opatov (Abtsdorf) Nr.4, and his wife Elisabeth nee Kraus of Abtsdorf Nr.56. Mother is Johanna, legit. daughter of Franz Portele, peasant from Oberdorf 47 and his wife Theresia nee Lug from Oberdorf 47. Note the left - June 23, 1876 a copy of baptismal certificate for the purpose of emigration (Auswanderung) etc other notes, picture is attached.

In register births for Abtsdorf (today Opatov) sign.M28-2376 for years 1844-1864 is on folio 76 (snap 75) written: On 26.11.1850 born in house Nr.4 Maria, father is Franz Schmid, Catholic, a peasant, legitimate son of Franz Schmid retired, from Abtsdorf Nr4 and his wife Elisabeth nee Kraus of Abtsdorf Nr.56. Mother is Johanna, Catholic, legitimate daughter of Franz Portele, peasant from Oberdorfl Nr47 and his wife Theresia nee Lug of Oberdorf Nr.47. One of the two child godparents is Anton Schmid, crofter from Königsberg (today Královec near Anenská Studánka) Nr15. Note the left - June 23, 1876? a copy of baptismal certificate for the purpose of emigration (Auswanderung) etc other notes, picture is attached.

Documents of immigration need to look around in 1876 – 1877.Good luck in the hunt for Johann Peitl, he will not be far away ... Greetings
Attachments:

Posted: 15 Oct 2012 11:49PM GMT
Thank you so much! I could have never found these on my own. I also can not read German.

Posted: 18 Oct 2012 1:02AM GMT
In register births for Jansdorf (Janov), Mändrik ( Mendryka) and Gayer( Gajer) for years 1786-1829 sign.1277 is on folio 76 (snap 2076) written: On 7.10.1824 born in house Nr.31 Johann Brauner (son got at birth mother's surname), father is Johann Beutel - it is written here: declared to be the father of this illegitimate son on September 10, 1833, mother is Katharina daughter of Anton Brauner crofter in Gayer. Note the left - Mai 2, 1853 a copy of baptismal certificate - probably before the wedding with Johanna. In these municipalities the surname Beutel was later wrote as Peitel (Peitl), in German are the B and P relatively close.
In register of deaths for Opatov sign. M-28 2384 years 1836-1889 is on folio 77 (snap 78): on 28.1.1852 at 7 am, buried on 30 January, died Franz Schmid, peasant, married with Johanna Portele 22.1.1850, Catholic, age 43 years 5 months 15 days (=it means born around August 1808…), Cause of Death: Auszeherung Gicht = emaciation but also phthisis, wasting or tuberculosis + gout?.
In register births for Abtsdorf (today Opatov) sign.M28-2376 for years 1844-1864 is on folio 116 (snap 115) written: On 10.3.1854 born in house Nr.236 Anna, father is Johann Beutel (Peitel written above), Catholic, a crofter in Abtsdorf, son of deceased Johann Beutel crofter from Abtsdorf Nr236 and his wife Katharina nee Brauner from Jansdorf Nr.31. Mother is Johanna, Catholic, legitimate daughter of Franz, peasant from Oberdorf and his wife Theresia nee Lug of Oberdorf Nr.47. Note the left - July 23, 1876 a copy of baptismal certificate for the purpose of emigration (Auswanderung).
In register births for Abtsdorf (today Opatov) sign.M28-2376 for years 1844-1864 is on folio 194 (snap 193) written: On 13.12.1860 born in house Nr.236 Ioannes, father is Johann Beutel (Peitel written above) Catholic, a crofter in Abtsdorf, son of Johann Beutel crofter from Abtsdorf Nr236 and his wife Katharina nee Brauner from ? Nr.31. Mother is Johanna, Catholic, legitimate daughter of Franz Portele, peasant from Oberdorf 47 and his wife Theresia nee Lug of Oberdorf, Leutmyschl district. Note the left - May 23, 1876 a copy of baptismal certificate for the purpose of emigration (Auswanderung).
I hope I did not do a lot of mistakes ..., pictures are attached below, Greetings
Attachments:

Posted: 18 Oct 2012 4:19PM GMT
The last report: The first wedding of Johanna Portele: in wedding registry for Abtsdorf (today Opatov) sign. M28-5505 for years 1838-1881 is on folio 39 (snap 40) written: on 22.1.1850 wedding in Opatov Nr.4, groom is Franz Schmid peasant from Abbtsdorf, legitimate son of Franz Schmid peasant from Abbtsdorf Nr.4, and his wife Elisabeth nee Kraus of Abtsdorf Nr.56. (crossed out, see note the left), Leutmyschl Bezirksgericht (Litomyšl district), 40 years old, single (Note: banns in church below). Bride is Johanna Portele, legitimate daughter of Franz Portele peasant from Oberdorfl Nr47 and his wife Theresia nee Lug of Oberdorf Nr.47, 25 years old, single.
In register births for Opatov for years 1801-1825 sign.M28-2374 is on folio 55 (snap 56) written: On 13.8.1808 born in house Nr.4 Franciscus Schmid, father is Franz Schmid peasant, mother is Elisabeth daughter of deceased Anton Kraus miller in Abtsdorf. One of the two godparents is Anna Kraus(in), daughter of deceased Anton Kraus, miller in Abtsdorf (so certainly sister of Elisabeth).
The second wedding of Johanna Schmid nee Portele: in wedding registry for Abtsdorf (today Opatov) sign. M28-5505 for years 1838-1881 is on folio 53 (snap 54) written: on 24.5.1853 wedding in Opatov Nr.236, groom is Johann Beutel crofter- contender in Ober-Abbtsdorf, son of Johann Beutel crofter from Abbtsdorf Nr.236, and his wife Catharina nee Brauner from Gaier Nr.31, Leutmyschl Bezirksgericht (Litomyšl district), 29 years old, single (Note: banns in church below). Bride is Johanna Schmid widow of the deceased Franz Schmid peasant in Abtsdorf Nr.4, legitimate daughter of Franz Portele peasant from Oberdorf Nr47 and his wife Theresia nee Lug of Oberdorf Nr.47, Litomyšl district (note - documents in the parish archive), 28 years old, widow. Note the left - June 23, 1876 a copy of baptismal certificate for the purpose of emigration (Auswanderung), picture is attached.
Greetings
Attachments:

Peitl Immigration

Posted: 20 Oct 2012 8:17PM GMT
I can not thank you enough for sending me all the information on my great grandmother and her family. This must have taken you hours of research. I can not speak or read German. I also can not read the older handwriting. This information has been wonderful to receive.
If there is something that I can do for you in return, let me know.
Greetings to you.
Mary Ann Ramisch
per page

Find a board about a specific topic