Search for content in message boards

FTM 2014, or stick with 2012.

FTM 2014, or stick with 2012.

Posted: 23 Oct 2013 3:33AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi,
just installed FTM 2014, but after reading some of the topics on here, related to 2014, I'm wondering if it is safer to continue with FTM 2012 for the time being?

Also, is it safer to edit my tree in FTM, or on Ancestry? Guess this applies to both versions?

Regards,
Peter.

Re: FTM 2014, or stick with 2012.

Posted: 23 Oct 2013 12:19PM GMT
I seem to be in the minority here, but I've never had any major issues (knock on wood) with either version. Sync works perfectly every time. 2014 has never crashed for me either, and I downloaded it the same day it was a available for general release. So my vote is 2014.

As for FTM vs Ancestry, to me they have different uses. For me, FTM is where I go when I'm working with sources outside of Ancestry, or trying to add media items because then I'm not slave to how fast the site wants to update / refresh whatever. When working with sources inside of Ancestry I'll use the website, and if I'm trying to navigate around my tree to look at something, let my mind wander finding new questions to answer, or showing someone my work. Ancestry is just easier on the eyes, as it were.

Posted: 23 Oct 2013 4:25PM GMT
I'm still with FTM 2012 and not confident enough to upgrade. I already had one broken sync in 2012, and I still haven't recovered all the work I lost. Besides, from what I read there don't seem to be any significant improvements outside of a 64-bit edition that will perform better on higher end machines with lots of RAM.

As for where you work with your linked tree, I don't think it matters anymore. In the early days of 2012 there was the suspicion in the user-community that making changes on both ends before synchronizing was causing some synchronizations to fail. Maybe that was the case. I don't know. At any rate, it doesn't *seem* to be the case anymore based on what people share about their linked trees that no longer sync.

Posted: 28 Oct 2013 3:38PM GMT
The biggest improvement for me was that FTM 2014 finally lets me globally order children by age, something that required awful contortions before that fix.

I have two main trees - one for me and one for my wife. Sadly, I only tested my own tree during beta-testing FTM 2014 and I had no syncing problems, but once I started with her tree, it has been a nightmare.

The problems with syncing for me were only for uploading changes in the tree from FTM 2014 to Ancestry.com. It always downloaded like a charm. The workaround was to make a few changes, upload them, and if that broke to delete the local tree and redownload it. Ugly but it worked.

My current fix - I took a GEDCOM, imported it into RootsMagic 6 which flags errors, corrected the glaring errors on the online tree, and synced. It seems to be working much better now.

I think that what FTM needs is a utility to ID problems with the tree so you can correct the tree.

Posted: 28 Oct 2013 8:28PM GMT
Edited: 29 Oct 2013 1:13AM GMT
Sadly, the global sort and many of the other "features" introduced in 2014 are really fixes that should have been released in patches to shore up all that didn't work when TreeSync was introduced. For new users, I'd recommend starting then with 2014. For existing users, I'd recommend paying the money to upgrade, because you're using a buggy piece of software from a company that makes you pay for bug fixes, but there is no way else to get them, and some of the bugs in 2012 that are fixed in 2014 make it worth the expenditure.

Question: you said you exported via GEDCOM to RootMagic 6. Did you use the flagged errors there to correct your FTM file? Or did you make the corrections in RootMagic and then export back to FTM via GEDCOM? It's hard to believe that you wouldn't lose or effectively corrupt data by doing the latter.

Posted: 28 Oct 2013 9:21PM GMT
Speaking for myself, when I export a gedcom and upload [for me, to Legacy] it gives the error by index number so I have to look in that file to find the person's name which I then find in FTM and correct the error there. Now that I've unlinked maybe I'll just move.

Posted: 28 Oct 2013 9:27PM GMT
Barbara, that's the smart way to do it so you avoid losing or corrupting data by exporting/importing to GEDCOM.

Posted: 29 Oct 2013 12:40PM GMT
Just purchased FWM 2014 to use on Windows 8.1 machine, i am seeing issues. My last version of FWM of MS was about FTM5 or some such. 2014 has now crashed about 3 times so far, and it does not appear to be handing the DPI scaling feature of 8.1 very well.

Another odd thing i noticed, in the "resolve places" it seems to NOT like "County" added to locations. I prefer this, as there are places where the town and county have the same name; example "Montgomery, Ala" could be Montgomery the city or Montgomery the county.

Never had any of these issues with my Mac versions )though it has its own set of issues)

Posted: 29 Oct 2013 2:31PM GMT
FTM should be using the same Place Name Authority, regardless of the version. What's the exact thing you're typing?

Posted: 29 Oct 2013 2:56PM GMT
I have all my places listed as "city, county County, state, USA", or if the city is not known, then its listed as "city, county, state, USA". When I choose to "Took-> Resolve All Place Names", for each of the places which have "County" as part of the name, the matches it shows me are the exact same EXCEPT the word "County" is missing.

Example:
Charlotte, Dickson County, Tennessee, USA

Is listed as a "?", when I resolve it the list contains
Charlotte, Dickson, Tennessee, USA

note the missing word county. This occurs on all the places.

Also, I noticed it does not like "UK" added to England
per page

Find a board about a specific topic