Search for content in message boards

Vodraska

Posted: 21 Nov 2012 8:17PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Vodraska, Pertl
I am searching for information on Joseph Vodraska (Wodraska?) born around 1828 in Bohemia married to Anna Pertl (b. 1831) around 1858. These two arrived in Kansas before 1880 with their two children Rose (b.1863) and Joseph (b.1867.) Later census records put them in the U.S. by 1875, but I can't find any records prior to 1880. I have no records of siblings or parents on either Joseph or Anna, so I really don't know where to go from here.

I am trying to locate information on their home village and when they arrived in the U.S.

These were my gr-great grandparents. I can't find any connection to the Vodraska families of NE or IA, but there is always a chance I am missing something.

Re: Vodraska

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 4:17PM GMT

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 7:18PM GMT
Surnames: Vodraska
Thank you for your reply.
I did know that without more information, I can not find what I am looking for in Czech Republic. I was hoping someone who is familiar with the Vodraska family in the states might know if Joe Vodraska (born appx. 1924) had any siblings or relatives that would lead me to the information I need.

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 7:34PM GMT
You're welcome.
Have you posted on all other boards that apply to your research? By throwing a wider net possible a VODRASKA descendant should find you.
You might try Leo BACA's 9 volumes Bohemians to America.
Have you taken a look in www.ellisislandrecords.org or other ports arrival manifests?
www.castlegarden.org to give you a location to work with? Family went to family in the beginning.

Re: Vodraska [Wodraska], Pertl

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 7:42PM GMT

Re: Vodraska [Wodraska], Pertl

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 8:18PM GMT
Surnames: Vodraska
I have a lot more research I need to do. Right now, I am not in the U.S. and I am not able to go and do research in person. I have been relying on the internet to do my research. If the records are not online(or I haven't found them yet) I cannot get the answers to my questions. My grandparents and mother have passed away, so I have gotten my information from an older relative and it has not proven to be very accurate at this point.

I will see if she knows whether my gr-grandparents were married in Kansas, New York, or elsewhere. The Kansas records I can probably get with a phone call or a letter. If it is elsewhere, it will require more work.

I have not found naturalization information for my great-grandfather or gg-grandfather, both are Joseph Vodraska. All of my grandmother's siblings were born in Kansas, so they were citizens. Joseph (the son)only had one sister, Rose. As I understand, women were naturalized if their husbands were, so it probably won't give much information.

I am still learning which documents hold the most valuable information. So all your suggestions are helpful to me.

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 8:20PM GMT
The family was here by 1880, so it was before Ellis Island and I have not located them on passenger lists or in the Castle Garden database.

Re: Vodraska in Kansas

Posted: 24 Nov 2012 9:22PM GMT
Any chance they lived in Ellsworth County? If so, the 1895 Kansas census has Joe, Annie, and 4 children. The census continues on to the next page; it appears that they came to Kansas from Ohio. This census is available in Ancestry.

The 1905 census says much the same; from Ohio to Kansas.

They appear to be gone by the 1915 census. Unfortunately, there aren't any Ellsworth County records from the Frank Mares newspaper articles transcribed by Margie Sobotka. If they were Catholic, chances are baptismal records of a child born there MIGHT have the parents' village listed. As far as I know, the diocese of Salina does not have a policy against giving out such records, but individual parishes might.

Re: Vodraska in Kansas

Posted: 25 Nov 2012 8:29AM GMT
Surnames: Vodraska, Bartunek
Yep! That is them. Joseph (the father) was killed in an accident in 1897. Annie died in 1913. Their son Joseph lived in Black Wolf, Kansas until he died in 1946. He married Mary Bartunek and they had 8 children, including my grandmother, Mildred.

I have found them in Ellsworth County, Kansas starting in 1880. That is as far back as I can go in census records. I can't find where in Ohio they lived or where they entered the U.S. The family is Catholic and I have not thought to look at the church records there. I will have to check with the Ellsworth Church (St. Bernards) to see if I can access the records.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate any input I can get!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions