Search for content in message boards

Non-Certified PA Death Certificates

Non-Certified PA Death Certificates

Posted: 17 Oct 2012 2:46AM GMT
Classification: Query
Has anyone had luck ordering non-certified PA death certificates? They cashed the checks but I'm currently at a 4-month wait. Technology should be able to make this process easier!

Re: Non-Certified PA Death Certificates

Posted: 18 Oct 2012 11:08AM GMT
The demand for them is what is causing the long waits. They are stored at the PA State Archive in Harrisburg where one can visit to view them, but there is a limit to 5 at one time and two such orders per visit. It takes almost two hours to have them pulled and brought down to the reading room. A normal box of research material (historical documents) used to take about 15 minutes to obtain. That should give you some idea of the demand.

Posted: 18 Oct 2012 6:01PM GMT
Thanks, I appreciate the reply and insight. I'd like to order a few more on a rotating basis so I have them coming in every now and again but was holding out for the first batch to see what they yielded (some can be hard to read, etc.). I never imagined it would take 4 months and counting! The availability of the online indices have been great and have helped solve a few mysteries, I only wish there was an automated way of ordering and downloading the certificates.

Posted: 18 Oct 2012 7:53PM GMT
Becareful of the non-certified copies. Last I checked (July) the only year to get non-certified is 1906. Anything else you must get the certified (with the seal) and that costs a few extra dollars. I would call and find out what is taking 4 months. That could be the reason you don't have it yet.

Posted: 18 Oct 2012 9:42PM GMT
Well, the site provides information to order certificates from 1906 to 1961...and they cashed my checks. Has anyone ordered them through the online service, I think I should look into that option?

Posted: 19 Oct 2012 10:49AM GMT
The birth certificates are only available for 1906. It is 105 years before they can become a "public" record, deaths are a 50 year waiting period.

I was to the State Archive yesterday and they are aware of the 16 week time frame. It is a problem that they have no control over, as they only house the original documents. The Dept. of Health is apparently working from microfilm in their possession, and that is where the bottleneck occurs.

Posted: 19 Oct 2012 5:43PM GMT

Hello. I am going up to the Archives soon. Please
email me.

parrid@webtv.net

Pete.

Posted: 20 Oct 2012 3:32AM GMT
Glad to see this. I thought maybe they lost my request. I ordered death certificates in June, check was cashed, still waiting. If it's taking longer than the 10 to 12 weeks stated on the website, they need to change the website.
I don't mind waiting and I'm sure they were slammed with requests, but they could post a message on the website stating where they're at with the requests.

Posted: 26 Oct 2012 1:05AM GMT
I go to the PA State Archives once a month to pull death certificates and research microfilm. They allow you to pull a total of 10 certificates per day, two batches of 5 each. Once you either return the first 5 or tell them you are going to purchase the copies, you can submit your second request for 5. I go on Fridays and it has never taken me longer than and hour to get all 10 (as long as it is not during lunch). All of the copies I have received so far (about 50 of them) are legible and each copy costs 50 cents. The folks there have been extremely helpful. Before making the a trip there, be aware that Ancestry.com has begun pulling and copying the certificates so not all may be available during your visit.

Posted: 26 Oct 2012 1:37AM GMT
It would be great for the certificates to be available online via Ancestry, talk about a time saver!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions