Search for content in message boards

Sister Bay Norwegians

Sister Bay Norwegians

Posted: 19 Dec 2007 3:28PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Johnsen, Huseby, Husby,Husbey,Johnson, Johanson,Spell
I am checking up on a telephone call made many years ago. The norwegians in this area inquired about a name Husby who came from Trondheim, Norway. I believe the name had a e extra. Huseby or Husbey. Or other variation. The person who called was Sue Spell.
I would welcome all kinds of info that may help me find norwegian roots in this region. Thank you.

I am hoping to find something that would tie to a Jacob Johnson, Johanson, Johnsen,Jonsen, Jonson, etc. Born 1861. He had a brother in Dunn county.

Re: Sister Bay Norwegians

Posted: 1 Mar 2008 6:19PM GMT
My mother's family were Knutsons. They came from Trondhiem as well and were members of the Moravian Church. They lived in Sister Bay and Liberty Grove. I believe we had Husby relatives. Let me know if you are still looking and I will make some inquires.

Posted: 1 Mar 2008 6:51PM GMT
Surnames: Johnson, Husby, Johnsen
Wonderful. We had Johan as the father and sons were listed on census as John Johnsen Indergard. and Jacob Johnsen Indergard. I guess before coming in 1879 John had the name John Reginius Husby. His brother who I am looking for had the name Jakob Husby. His destination was dunn co. His birthdate was 1861. He was suppost to have left from oslo. Probably going through england maybe liver pool and to quebec or some oher way.

Some family members said name johnson or Johansen was kept.
But I think Husby.
Thank so much.

Posted: 2 Mar 2008 10:44AM GMT
Surnames: Knutson Hanson Otquist
I have a Torkel Knutson (b 1817 in Norway) in my line. He was married to Olea (last name either Hanson or Otquist) and after coming to the United States, they lived in Door County.

Does he connect to your line?

Charlene

Posted: 26 Jan 2012 9:53PM GMT
I am researching Torkel and Olea Knutson, Door County, WI immigrants and their family's. Would love to share and gain more information on them. Any help? Thanks, Susan

Posted: 27 Jan 2012 12:10PM GMT
Torkel and Olie/Olea are my mother's gggrandparents. I show Torkel as born 1817 in Nevlungen, Ovre, Norway (died January 1896 in Green Bay, Brown County, Wisconsin). His father was Knud/Knut Eliasen (born 1872 in Vestfold Cty, Norway / died 1829 in Norway). Torkel's mother was Inger Torkelsdatter (born approx 1790 in Telemark Cty, Norway / died 1863). Inger's father was Torkel Jonsen (born 1757 in Telemark Cty, Norway / died 1837 in Telemark Cty, Norway). Inger's mother was Elen Johnsdatter (born 1766 in S-Trondelag, Norway).
Olie/Olea Marie Hanson was born approx. 1825 in Omli, Norway

Posted: 27 Jan 2012 12:12PM GMT
Sorry, ran out of room -- Olea Marie Hanson's father was Hans Hanson (born in Norway - but I don't have anything further on him). Olea's mother was Pernille Sorensdatter (again, I only have "born in Norway").

I don't have a death date for Olea (sometimes "Olie") - hope you have some information.

Charlene

Posted: 27 Jan 2012 9:19PM GMT
Edited: 27 Jan 2012 9:31PM GMT
I have Olea Hanson Knutson born Aug 1820 dies May 1899 Ellison Bay. I show the same information as you for Torkel and Olea. Ages for Torkel and Olea from Marriage Record, Brunlanes, Vestfold, Norway. Parents names also listed. Have birth records on many of the kids from family search. I have quite a bit of information. This weekend I am going with my friend Beverly Knutson to the cemeteries they are buried at to get pictures, if weather holds. We will be going to the Library and Door County Genealogy Archive office next week if possible. Discrepency in birth year per gravestones. See next post, have a question on Hans Hanson.

Posted: 27 Jan 2012 9:29PM GMT
Forgot this in Town of Liberty Grove, Little Sister Cemetery
KNUTSON, Torkel (1)/Born May 1819-Died Jan 1896, ossw Olie KNUTSON.
KNUTSON, Olie (1)/Aug 1821-Died May 1899, ossw Torkel KNUTSON.

So in the The History of Door County; a county beautiful. There is a story of Torkel and a group of Norwegians that come to Door County, Eagle Harbor, WI Aug. 24, 1854. Among the group is a "Soren Hanson (Estey) with his grown sons Henrik and Andrew Hanson; Hans Hanson(Omli) with his grown sons Hans and Andrew O Hanson. Could these Hanson's be Olea's family? I somehow think so.
But just getting started on them. email me with questions or requests I have a lot of pictures etc to scan and 5 more Door County Books to read from the family. susanaarmour@yahoo.com

Posted: 28 Jan 2012 3:44PM GMT
Hi! I too have researched these names. They belong to some of my ancestors. I am a distant cousin of Charlene Joslin. Would love to know more.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions