Search for content in message boards

Mcallisters in NY

Mcallisters in NY

Posted: 3 Jun 2008 5:30AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Mcallister, Mcdonald
This is the situation. Grandfather born William McAllister, name changed to James Mcdonald. His mother died when he was an infant, was taken in by relatives (Mcdonald). Found a manifest with Mary Mcdonald and a James Mcdonald coming from Ireland. According to manifest James was 6 mos., which makes since, could have changed name to avoid red tape with immigration. It was not an adoption thru the courts. I have prayer card on a Mrs. Majorie McAllister. My sister said our grandmother had a piece of paper with Majorie Mcallister with a phone # pinned to a curtain (dont remember number). We are thinking it is his sister in law. We know theres ties in new york. James new parents lived in newfoundland in 1918, according to James marriage church record. Any suggestions how we can tie all this together?

Re: Mcallisters in NY

Posted: 8 Sep 2008 6:47PM GMT
I have a great aunt named Marjorie McAllister-died in Greenpoint Brooklyn=the McDonald of course are a large clan in Northern Ireland and Scotland

does the words Cushendall-Gruig-or Mary McKay ring any bells
another good way is if you knew the religion of the family member-after 2 generations in the USA the religious denomination change-but helpful for those in Irealand and Scotland

CJ McAllister
cmodrmac@aol.com
cmodrmac@aol.com

Posted: 29 Apr 2012 3:24AM GMT
Your Great Aunt Marjorie McAllister..who are siblings and parents?

Thanks,

Bill Palmer

Posted: 30 Apr 2012 2:22AM GMT
Presbyterian or Catholic?

Posted: 30 Apr 2012 4:19AM GMT
I looked at the original message back from 2008 and I found out more info, thats why I was asking about your relatives. Here is my lineage that I have found so far.

Great Great Grand parents - William McAllister and Mary McCarron
Great Grand parents - Henry McAllister and Mary Anne Downs (1st), Margaret Russell (2nd)
Grandparents - William McAllister aka James McDonald and Aurore Leblanc.

Henry lived in Brooklyn. His children are Marjorie, Mary, Sally and William. Marjorie and Sally had no children. I met a 2nd cousin through Mary's line. Marjorie and Mary stayed in Brooklyn. Marjorie died about 1958. Henry's second marriage to Margaret Russell, looks like the children stayed in Brooklyn and possible their children. The whole McAllister line is Catholic. One of these years I might be able to make it to the municipal archives in Manhattan to do more research and try to find documents on all these people. I found someone that has Henry and Margaret in their tree, sent message but no response.

Thanks, Bill Palmer
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions