Search for content in message boards

FTM - how to find the changes recently made in my tree?

FTM - how to find the changes recently made in my tree?

Posted: 30 Oct 2013 2:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
I want to see " what were the changes made to this tree, in reverse date order"?

If i go to the Person tab, and use the History 'view' at the bottom of the page, with the top hat, then i see the people that have had changes. If i hover over a name with my mouse, i can see the date on which changes were made, and some details.

However, what I want, is to have this date as a column that i can sort on - so that i can see, in reverse order a trace of the changes made to my tree.

Am I the only person who wants to see this audit trail? Am I missing a simpler way of achieving this? Will this feature ever be added to the Person tab?

Thanks,

Re: FTM - how to find the changes recently made in my tree?

Posted: 31 Oct 2013 3:46PM GMT
If you sync, do you save your log files from each sync?

The log could be better, but you can find a lot of information in the log - when a person was added, when certain records were added to that person, etc.

Posted: 31 Oct 2013 7:47PM GMT
Other than the sync log that Ann mentioned, there is nothing in FTM that resembles an audit trail. :(

Posted: 31 Oct 2013 7:59PM GMT
I understand the sync log for 2014 is SLIGHTLY better than our old friend, Marco. I keep hoping for the ability to select/resize columns, at the least. Since I am the only one with edit/contribute access, that column with my full username is pretty useless:(

I'd love to find a way to dump it into a db, so that I could sort. But, it's better than what we had 2 years ago - nothing.

Posted: 31 Oct 2013 8:29PM GMT
Yes, but even slightly improved, that's not the audit trail that the OP is after. That's a common feature of database driven apps, especially network db-drive apps. It's also something that was defined in GEDCOM eons ago.

Obviously Ancestry.com maintains an audit trail, because when you make changes there to sync back to FTM, it's immediate. My guess is that it reads from a table that's maintained on the Ancestry.com end to keep track of changes. I won't guess what's going on the other way, but it doesn't appear to be using an audit table.

Posted: 2 Nov 2013 12:13AM GMT
I think this is part of the information in the sync file (hidden file) based on my earlier experiments with getting FTM 2014 to properly sync with Ancestry. I would love to get my hands on some of the developer information as to what is actually contained in the sync file as well as the underlying database structure. Being able to run some ad hoc queries would be rather powerful.

Mike

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions