Search for content in message boards

Fact source citations for Census Data/page

Fact source citations for Census Data/page

Posted: 30 Oct 2013 4:35PM GMT
Classification: Census
Why when creating Fact Source Citations in FTM 2014 64 bit does a citation sometimes have a link at the bottom of the "Edit Souce Citation for XXXX" to the online data and some do not. I believe I am creating them the same way but sometimes I get the link and sometimes I do not.

See attached files for what they look like.

Thanks
Attachments:

Re: Fact source citations for Census Data/page

Posted: 31 Oct 2013 7:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Looks to me that you created one of these from scratch and you modified one created either by FTM or Ancestry.com (the latter being the one that has the link to view it online). When you create it from scratch, it won't that at the bottom of the window.

Posted: 1 Nov 2013 5:51AM GMT

Re: A more fundamental problem

Posted: 1 Nov 2013 12:26PM GMT
Edited: 1 Nov 2013 3:32PM GMT
cavcol1, looking at those 2 citations, you have, IMHO, a significantly more fundamental problem....and one that is sometimes quite difficult for those new to genealogy and citation-building to get their arms around. You need to rethink the concept of just what element comprises a source "title" and how that must be differentiated from a "citation" of that same "source".

When your FTM initially created your source "title", it probably looked like attachment 1 (I used FTM 2012). Do NOT edit that "title" to reflect additional, more specific information. If you continue to do so, your source "list" referencing that same "1880 United States Federal Census" will quickly grow to an unmanageable level if it hasn't done so already (Edit > Manage Sources).

There is only one reason that I can think of which would justify the creation of multiple, same-source "titles"...and that would occur if and when you manually cite the same source (eg. "1880 United States Federal Census" [which is ACOM's title preference]) but from a different repository (eg. FamilySearch.org or InternetArchive). In those instances where you must manually construct a citation, first create a new source "title", but this time with the repository name appended (eg. "1880 United States Federal Census [Internet Archive]").

That will successfully differentiate (attachment 2) ACOM-generated citations (either from AMT or FTM) in your "manage sources" list from those that you manually create citing the same "source" but from a different source repository.

Hope that helps.
Attachments:

Posted: 15 Nov 2013 10:03PM GMT
Thanks for the Clue. It really helped

Re: A more fundamental problem

Posted: 15 Nov 2013 10:06PM GMT
Your example was very helpful. After trying the citation process for a couple of hours I got the hand of it and now know how to use them. I was creating to many citation.

Thanks for the insight.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions