Search for content in message boards

Shoulder

Shoulder

Posted: 15 Aug 2012 11:44AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for more information on James Shoulder born about 1861 in Armagh, died in Durham in 1916. His father was Lawrence and his mother Anne. The parents moved to England inbetween 1861 and 1871. James and his older brother Owen moved to England between 1871 and 1881.

Re: Shoulder

Posted: 15 Aug 2012 5:31PM GMT

Shoulder is not a very common name in Ireland. Griffiths Valuation for 1864 only has 1 household- that of Laurence Shoulder in the townland of Carran (parish of Creggan) where he had a farmhouse, outbuildings and 10 acres. By the 1901 census, there were only 2 Shoulder households in the county. One of them was in Creggan too. The families were all RC. If you have no other leads, I’d be inclined to start by searching the RC parish records for Creggan.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/results.jsp?cen...=

Here are details of what records exist for Creggan RC parish:

http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/fuses/rcparishmaps/index....

There’s 80 Shoulder births, deaths & marriages on the Familysearch Irish civil BDM index. Laurence appears to have died 1870 and was born 1782. Death regd Castleblaney.

One probate file for Shoulder in Co Armagh, for Peter Shoulder who died intestate. The estate admin papers should be in PRONI, Belfast. Here’s the abstract (summary):

Administration of the estate of Peter Shoulder late of Carron County Armagh Farmer who died 20 March 1900 granted at Armagh to Mary A. Burns Married Woman. Effects £88
Posted: 15 Aug 2012 7:56PM GMT
In the Freeholder Records available at the PRONI website, Lawrence Shoulder is listed as early as 1818 in Carron, on the land owned by Mr. Brownlow. The name is alternatively spelled as SHOULDERS.

This Lawrence must be the father to your Lawrence and grandfather to James if he was a tenant in 1818 (ie, of age) and the one who passed away in 1870, aged 88.

Lawrence Shoulder is in England by the time of the 1861 census, aged 25, in Willington, living in the home of Alice Gregory, noted as a visitor, married, born Ireland. He is married with Ann and a child Bridget in the 1871 census.

By 1881, the other sons have arrived -- surmise that Lawrence came first about 1861, leaving Anne and James and Owen at home in Ireland, who then arrived altogether about 1869, since the next child, Bridget, is born about 1869.

Re: Shoulder

Posted: 14 Nov 2012 9:13AM GMT
Edited: 17 Nov 2012 10:35PM GMT
Surnames: Shoulder, McElroy, Hanlon, Craven
Sorry All,

I have to correct my post as I got my Peter Shoulders mixed up.

There is a Peter Shoulder (died between 1901 and 1911) whose father was James Shoulder who married Rose McElroy (died 1914) on 9 Oct 1874 in the RC Church in Crossmaglen, Union of Castleblaney, Co. Armagh and this family lived in Mounthill, Creggan, Armagh which had been the home of Rose McElroy whose father was Charles McElroy.

This Peter and Rose had at least two children, Mary (born and baptised 1875) and Bernard (1878). I think this Mary married a Patrick Agnew (father Thomas Agnew) and had a son John Agnew in 1907 but she died in 1908.

The Peter Shoulder in my family was baptised in Dundalk to my great-great-grandparents Arthur Shoulder and Mary Hanlon in 1841, and he was a brother of my great-grandmother, Margaret Craven ne Shoulder (b 1853). They had two other brothers, the oldest James (b 1838), then Patrick (b 1844) and a sister Mary (b 1846). Their parents Arthur Shoulder and Mary Hanlon married in Dundalk in 1838 and lived in the Kilcurry area moving around between Rathduff to Shortstone to Waterlodge and Balriggan, just north west of Dundalk. I think the eldest son James above (b Dec 1838) may have emigrated to Boston, Mass., USA as there is a James Shoulder listed there on the 1880 US Federal Census, who was from Ireland and aged about 40, not far off the correct age.

Shoulder is a very unusual surname and there are no Shoulders in the phone book in Dundalk now and there aren't even any in the Dublin one.

The same first names in the Shoulder family keep repeating, James, Patrick, Peter so I still think these families are all related to each other. It was such a small family in the Louth Armagh area. There were only 11 people with the surname Shoulder on the 1901 census for the whole of Ireland, and I am guessing most of them had emigrated by then.

I hope this might be of help to anyone researching the Shoulder family in Armagh and Louth.

Rosena McShane.
Posted: 20 Oct 2013 2:01PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Edited: 20 Oct 2013 2:50PM GMT
Surnames: Shoulder, Murphy, Callaghan, Byrne
Hi Jan,

Since I last wrote I have been doing a lot of research into the Shoulder family in Louth and Armagh as my one of my great grandmothers is a Margaret Shoulder, and her father my great great grandfather is Arthur Shoulder from Kilcurry, Co. Louth just north of Dundalk.

I found the baptisms of Owen in 1858 and James Shoulder in 1860 in the RC Parish of Upper Creggan, Armagh (which covered 10 townlands in north Co. Louth as well as townlands in south Co. Armagh) and their parents were Laurence Shoulder and Anne Murphy. Owen's godparents were Thomas Brennan and Catherine Murphy, and James' godparents were Francis Traynor and Bridget Murphy. Catherine and Bridget Murphy were probably their aunts and sisters of Anne. Their baptismal records do not say where they lived. I could not find a marriage record for Laurence and Anne, but there are gaps in the church records and missing records (I can't find a baptismal certificate for my Arthur Shoulder born circa 1805).

I looked at the Laurence Shoulder that Elwyn mentions, who was renting a house, buildings and lands from Denis Kelly in Carran, Creggan, Co. Armagh in Griffiths Valuation circa 1865. Carran is a townland just north of Crossmaglen, Co. Armagh (I have ancestors from here too) and very close to the border with Co. Louth. There was also a Laurence Shoulder in Carran in 1827 on the Tithe Applotments. I found the 1818 marriage of a Laurence Shoulder to Anne Callaghan in the RC Parish of Creggan, and I think this is the Laurence who resided at Carran and who died in 1870 aged 88. Between 1820 to 1830 there were baptisms in Creggan RC Parish of six children to this Laurence and Anne: James, Peter, Bridget, Mary, Michael and Rose. I didn't find the baptism of a Laurence to this family, but it is possible there could have been one, or that this family are close cousins to your Laurence.

However I did find the baptism of a Laurence Shoulder on 20/09/1833 to a Peter Shoulder and Jane Byrne in the nearby Dundalk RC parish (godparents Daniel Mires and Mary Hamill). They lived in Slieve just north west of Dundalk beside Roche and Kilcurry ,where my Shoulder family are from, and only a couple of miles from the Armagh border. This Peter is also on the Tithe Applotments for Slieve which is in Co. Louth. The following children were also baptised to them: Michael (1822), Bridget (1827), Catherine(1829), Owen (1831) and Mary (1836). The death of a Peter Shoulder aged 80 years is registered in Dundalk district. I think he could be the grandfather of your James and Owen Shoulder.

Is this of any help?

Regards,

Rosena McShane

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions