Search for content in message boards

Family Tree Maker 2014 will not import all media files

Family Tree Maker 2014 will not import all media files

Anonymous (View posts)
Posted: 31 Oct 2013 1:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Nov 2013 1:57AM GMT
This is very similar to another post but with a different twist, hence a separate post.

Installed FTM2014. Did the convert of family tree from FTM 2010 including medial files. The tree converted but several of the medial files did not convert to the new system. Those that did not convert included pdf's, doc's in word,, and a few jpg's. Suggestions would be helpful....RDH

Re: Family Tree Maker 2014 will not convert medial files

Posted: 31 Oct 2013 7:56PM GMT
I'm still on 2012, but I'm not aware of any feature in 2014 that converts your media files to different formats. What are you expecting to happen? What are those PDFs, DOCs, and JPGs to be converted to?

Re: Family Tree Maker 2014 will not convert medial files

Posted: 31 Oct 2013 10:05PM GMT
What do you mean by did not convert? Are the locations for the files correct? I converted one of my FTM2010 files with ~30,000 images and all are present in the 2014 dtabase. PDF files can not be seen as an image of the first page instead of the generic PDf icon.

Tell us more about the files that did not convert. A screen shot, etc.?

Regards,

Re: Family Tree Maker 2014 will not convert media files

Posted: 31 Oct 2013 10:34PM GMT
Edited: 31 Oct 2013 10:35PM GMT
There was a thread - I've looked but cannot find it, since the boards have not been indexed in a month or more - that FTM 2014 uses a different format for media than 2014

I have not moved to 2014, so I don't have first hand experience.

Posted: 31 Oct 2013 10:40PM GMT
I know that the thumbnail format is different,

Regards,

Posted: 31 Oct 2013 10:53PM GMT
Edited: 31 Oct 2013 11:22PM GMT
rdhansen48

Not to pick on your spelling or keyboarding skills, but I would suggest that you edit at least the title of your post to "media" instead of "medial."

You'll have a better chance of someone answering your post and of helping someone else with the same problem, if the title has recognizable words.

Re: Family Tree Maker 2014 will not convert all media files

Anonymous (View posts)
Posted: 1 Nov 2013 1:55AM GMT
Thanks for all your responses. My goal was to import a FTM 2010 file into FTM2014. Terminalogy aside, my understanding is that the file has to be converted to FTM2014 format and after that it can not be utilized in FTM2010. During this process and importing the file to FTM2014, not all of the media materials imported. Those that did not come along with the import were doc and pdf documents, and some jpeg items. Thus not all of the media was there and attached as it should have been. I was not trying to change the format on any of these items.

Ancestry Support suggested downloading the file to Ancestry.com then upload it back to my computer and FTM2014. This will not occur at this time.

In the mean time, another person suggested compacting the file, opening it, saving a backup copy, and then compacting it again. Although I had done this previously, I followed their suggestion. After compacting it several times, the import worked, and all the media files were transfered to the FTM2014 file. Hope this helps another person in their data conversion....RDH

Posted: 1 Nov 2013 2:37AM GMT
Ah, when the file was changed from 2010 format to 2014 some of links to the media files were lost! Now I understand. Glad you got it working.

Posted: 9 Dec 2013 8:37PM GMT
Can you please advise how you went abput compacting? I have same issues. Not only that but it also duplicated people and places so I am having to go thru and merge. Gees ! What a nightmare!

Carol

Anonymous (View posts)
Posted: 10 Dec 2013 2:27AM GMT
Carol,
Yes, I will agree it is very frustrating to have the program not work properly.
To compact the file before converting from FTM 2010 to FTM 2014 I finally did compact the file several times before it converted it fully. To compact look in the tool bar under Tools and in that find Compact File. Save before and after each compact. Also save a copy of your original file before you convert it to the new format. It took me three compact tries before it moved all my files to the new FTM 2014 format. I hope it works for you as well........Ron
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions