Search for content in message boards

Questions for 2014 Users re: Media Workspace

Questions for 2014 Users re: Media Workspace

Posted: 1 Nov 2013 2:55AM GMT
Classification: Query
Just curious. What's new and/or changed in the media workspace? I recall seeing mention of a change in thumbnails. I'm wondering what this entails. I'm also wondering if HTM and PDF and RTF still require external viewers.

Re: Questions for 2014 Users re: Media Workspace

Posted: 4 Nov 2013 3:31AM GMT
Edited: 4 Nov 2013 3:32AM GMT
I've attached a screen shot of a PDF file being viewed within FTM 2014's viewer.

Regards,
Attachments:

Posted: 4 Nov 2013 1:45PM GMT
Nice. Thank you for posting that. Looks like some cosmetic changes to the window as well. What about being about to view HTM (stories created on Ancestry.com) inside FTM?

Did they introduce the ability to view media files without thumbnails? (Like the details view in Windows)

Posted: 4 Nov 2013 11:03PM GMT
I do not use sync (it has never been reliable). The scroll speed going through thumbnails is just as fast as version 2012. Viewing media is the same as before.

Regards,

Posted: 5 Nov 2013 2:20PM GMT
I ask because an interface that doesn't use thumbnails (and just text) would be a lot faster. With thousands of items, it takes forever, for example, to link an existing media item to a source citation (especially when it loads displaying by media category; by person isn't so bad, though it's a real pain still to locate the person and desired media).

I don't think you need to sync to get user-created stories from member trees at Ancestry.com, although I've never tried to add them to my tree via FTM (only via Ancestry.com), so I can't say for sure. Anyway, those come down to FTM as HTM, and although there is already a web-browser built into FTM, FTM launches an external browser to be able to see those stories. Although it's nice to have the option to view a media file in an external application, it doesn't make working with those files very efficient, especially for users without multiple monitors who would have to tab back and forth as they transcribe, create facts, etc.

What about the smart stories? Those are seen at Ancestry.com as RTF. From the media workspace, they're .FTMS files and they display with an Ancestry styled icon. You cannot click the icon to open the file, but you can click on the file link to open it.

Thanks for taking the time to give me feedback.

Posted: 2 Mar 2014 12:54PM GMT
Marco, I suggested ages ago that the Media workspace have an option to show the media items in text format, as per a Windows view of folder contents. Thumbnails aren't that useful (one census citation or form looks much like another), it slows down processing, and to see the full file name you have to make the thumbnails huge.

I think one problem here is that ancestry doesn't have a structured process for gathering and posting enhancement requests, perhaps with priority voting by registered FTM users to indicate how important the suggestion is to the community at large. Developers usually want to give you what they think you need, not what you ask for, unless they happen coincide, I guess.

But the text-only media view is a no-brainer, so I can't fathom why it hasn't been done.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions