Search for content in message boards

Daughters ex-partner being shown as married and as my son-in-law

Daughters ex-partner being shown as married and as my son-in-law

Posted: 2 Nov 2013 6:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have had this issue.. http://ancestryforums.custhelp.com/posts/916de722c0?commentI... and was told it would be resolved in FTM2014, I have now bought FTM2014 but still have the same issue.
Any ideas welcomed
Thanks

Re: Daughters ex-partner being shown as married and as my son-in-law

Posted: 2 Nov 2013 6:25PM GMT
Did you go to your Daughters data, Select the Person Tab.
Within Shared Facts select the "Partner", then on the Right side of the screen in the date area add Never Married
Attachments:

Posted: 2 Nov 2013 9:38PM GMT
Edited: 2 Nov 2013 9:40PM GMT

So, what exactly would you call these kinds of gentlemen? Maybe:

Significant Ex-Son-in-Law?
Used-To-Be Roommate of My Daughter?
Father of My Daughter's Child Who is No Longer in My Daughter's Life?

Just curious.

Posted: 2 Nov 2013 9:49PM GMT
Edited: 2 Nov 2013 9:57PM GMT
That depends on your own family experience. The options, from the dropdown menu in FTM 2012, are

Spouse
Partner
Friend
Single
Other
Private
Unknown

If you are sync-ing, the ancestry.com online tree has most of those -
Spouse
Partner
Friend
Single
Other
Unknown
Attachments:

Posted: 2 Nov 2013 11:17PM GMT
Edited: 2 Nov 2013 11:17PM GMT
Those are from the point of view of the daughter. But, the point I was making - what would the label be in the Relationship Status from the point of view of other people, like the father.

To try to come up with anything besides the typical labels, like the ones you describe, in relationship to the "couple-partner", lead into a morass of never-ending relationship labels and would be impractical for a genealogy program.

Posted: 3 Nov 2013 1:00AM GMT
I use Friend.

Posted: 3 Nov 2013 6:42AM GMT
I know what you mean silverfox but that is not what I'm getting at.
There is already a "Partner" label in the program which is what I've used because that is what he was, however the program is insisting that they were married which they weren't and that he is my son-in-law which he isn't and never was. Surely if the program has the label then it should be implemented properly?

Posted: 3 Nov 2013 2:29PM GMT
My great-grandmother had a child before she married my great-grandfather. I have defined the relationship between her and the child’s father as Friends. Most charts and reports show the relationship as Friends. The labels of fields in FTM have the word Spouse while the field has the correct relationship, Friends.

I created a Relationship Chart and looked at the Relationship Calculator. Both the chart and the calculator said they were husband or wife, not friends. The relationship between the man involved and my great-grandmother’s father was son-in-law or father-in-law. If they were not married there is no legally recognized relationship between the parents of one party in the relationship and his/her friend or partner. This relationship should have been Father of Friend or No Relationship.

FTM is not the only program or website with this problem. All of them need updating to correctly show relationships as they are today.

While looking at this I looked at the relationships involving a divorced couple. Both the Relationship Chart and the Relationship Calculator said they were still husband and wife. The relationship of the man to the woman’s father was still son-in-law or father-in-law.

Curt

Posted: 4 Nov 2013 8:13AM GMT
Exactly Curt, would have thought that this was a pretty basic thing for most genealogy software to have sorted by now.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions