Search for content in message boards

Need info for Mary Kenyon

Need info for Mary Kenyon

Posted: 27 Oct 2012 10:07AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: kenyon, maxson
I'm trying to complete my DAR application and have run into a road block. I'm looking for documents related to Mary 'Polly' Kenyon (maiden name Maxson). She married Alanson Kenyon around 1832 I believe. She was born around 1814 and possibly died in 1895. I have her accounted for in Wirt, NY in the 1880 census, but she disappears after that. She was the daughter of James Maxson and Lucinda Maine of RI. I have Alanson's tombstone photo taken from Uptopia, but nothing on her. Any resources or contact suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Re: Need info for Mary Kenyon

Posted: 27 Oct 2012 5:21PM GMT
I’m not related to any member of this family.

1940 is the last available census at this time.

1880 -
Name: Mary L. Kenyon
Birth Year: abt 1815
Birthplace: New York
Home in 1880: Wirt, Allegany, New York
Race: White
Relation to Head of House: Mother-in-law
Father's Birthplace: Rhode Island
Mother's Birthplace: Connecticut

Wallace W. Coats 36
Emma L. Coats 29, NY - 1851
Erwin L. Coats 9
Darwin G. Coats 7
Gertrude Coats 5
Bertha Coats 2
Walter Coats 1
Mary L. Kenyon 65, NY - widowed m/inlaw

Next available census is 1900; 20 yrs later and most likely deceased. Mary would be approaching 85.

New York, Town Clerks' Registers of Men Who Served in the Civil War, ca 1861-1865
Name: Halsey Kenyon
Birth Date: 4 Feb 1834
Birth Place: Thurman
Father: Alanson Kenyon
Mother: Laura Everets
Residence Place: Thurman
Enlistment Date: 1 Jan 1864
Enlistment Location: Thurman, Warren, New York
Regiment: 16th Artillery
Company: K
Race: White
Marital Status: Single

Alanson may have been married twice????

Do you have a DOB + birthplace for Alanson???

death record -
Alanson Kenyon
Birth: Sep. 22, 1807
Brookfield (Madison County)
Madison County
New York, USA
Death: Jul. 5, 1876
Wirt
Allegany County
New York, USA

Son of Augustus Kenyon and Joanna Barber; he was married to Mary Lucinda Maxson. He has Kenyon identification number 17132, from the book American Kenyons.

Alanson is shown living next to his father on the 1850 Census in Wirt, Allegany County, New York.

Family links:
Parents:
Augustus Kinyon (1773 - 1854)
Joanna Barber Kenyon (1778 - ____)

Spouse:
Mary Lucinda Maxson Kenyon (1814 - ____)

Children:
Guilford D. Kenyon (1844 - 1850)
Angie S. Kenyon (1847 - 1869)
Helen A. Kenyon (1849 - 1850)

TRY - Find a grave – FREE SITE - volunteer site all states; frequently has headstone pic

DO NOT SEARCH FOR A MARRIED WOMAN USING HER MAIDEN NAME.

http://www.worldvitalrecords.com/

Posted: 27 Oct 2012 6:09PM GMT
Surnames: Kenyon
Go to find a grave. Alanson Kenyon was son of Augustus Kinyon and grandson of Revolutionary War veteran Benjamin Kinyon. One of my ancestors was Rev War veteran Oliver Kenyon. Rev War pension uses the Kinyon spelling. Oliver was born in Washington County Rhode Island and died in Madison County NY. I suspect Oliver and Benjamin were close kin. Jeff Ward

Posted: 27 Oct 2012 10:17PM GMT
I have some Maxson and Kenyon's in my genealogy. I would venture a guess they are related to yours, but I do not have how as of yet. Here is what I have:

Earliest Maxson I have recorded: Rev. John Maxson b.1666 Westerly, Washington, RI d. 1747 in same town. married to Judith Clarke b. 1667 Newport, RI d. 1747 Westerly, Washington, RI.

I have one child listed for them: John Maxson. He married Thankful Randall, daughter of Matthew Randall and Eleanor Utter.

Thankful and John had a daughter named Thankful Maxson who married Nathan Barber and they had the following children: Susannah, Moses, Nathan, Mary, Benjamin, John, Eunice, Eleanor, Lydia, and Handford.

Earliest Kenyon I have recorded: John Kenyon b. 1605 Dorcester, England, death in England, date unknown. No information on his wife, but do have their son, James Kenyon b. 1633 in Oldham, England d. 1670 South Kingson, RI.

James Kenyon married Esther Smith, daughter of John Smith and unknown lady. James and Esther had a son named John Kenyon b. 1655 Oldham, England d. 1732 Westerly, Washington, RI who married Anna Mumford and they had a son Jonathon Kenyon.

Jonathon Kenyon b. 1695 Westerly, RI d. 1767 Westerly, RI he married Sarah Rogers and they had a daughter named Elizabeth Kenyon.

I have more information on both families if you would like my personal email is mrnmrsjja at yahoo.com and I have a family tree named McGee on Ancestry.

Posted: 27 Oct 2012 11:40PM GMT
I found some detail on Mary (aka Polly) - Born Dec. 6, 1814 Died July 9, 1895 in Wirt, NY, Daughter of James & Lucinda Maine Maxson.

Mary was married to first Alanson Kenyon. Her second husband was Joel Kenyon, brother to her first husband. All of them are buried at Utopia I believe.

Mary and Alanson's daughter Emma married my great-great-grandfather William Wallace Coats, and then they had my great-grandfather Walter Coats.

Posted: 27 Oct 2012 11:52PM GMT
I'm trying to look and see who our common ancestor is. I have a Joanna Barber (d.1830) who married Augustus Kenyon (d.1854). My Maxson line goes back to Matthew Maxson (d. 1791) and Martha Potter, who had George Maxson one of my patriot ancestors. I'm linked to him through his son James who was married to Lucinda Maine. I have a copy of the Maxson Family History from Walter LeRoy Brown printed in 1954 which has been very helpful in linking people together.

Posted: 28 Oct 2012 1:10AM GMT
I believer our common ancestor is Joanna Barber! I have a Joanna Barber who is the daughter of Moses Barber and Mary Tefft. Is this your same Joanna Barber?

Posted: 28 Oct 2012 1:12AM GMT
My Joanna Barber backs up to George Soule, one of the Pilgrims.

Posted: 28 Oct 2012 1:29AM GMT
Yup! That's definitely the Joanna Barber in my family tree :)

Posted: 28 Oct 2012 11:28AM GMT
I saw the same family tree on ancestry.com.

Mary [Polly] married Mr. Coats 1st and then Alanson Kenyon.

Check the marriage dates.

Ancestry puts the marriages in REVERSE order.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions