Search for content in message boards

Researching places

Researching places

Posted: 3 Nov 2013 7:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
Not sure if this is really an FTM question or a more general one, but what do people use to document research on places of interest in their family free? For example my family farmed at the same place for over 100 years and I have quite a bit of research info on the farms - photos, documents, plans, maps etc. They don't strictly relate to any one source or one fact so they don't belong there. What I'd like to do is add them to a location - but there's nothing on FTM to allow me to do so.

Any suggestions?

Re: Researching places

Posted: 3 Nov 2013 9:13PM GMT
I don't have a solution for you but this is something that the powers that be should accomodate ASAP, that is, the adding of media items and web links to individual places.

Posted: 3 Nov 2013 9:23PM GMT
You could create a source with the information and include the images with the source. That way, when you attached the source to individuals, the information and images will link.

Regards,

Posted: 3 Nov 2013 9:41PM GMT
"You could create a source with the information and include the images with the source. That way, when you attached the source to individuals, the information and images will link."

I considered that - but as far as I know sources relate to "facts" & some facts have "places". As my places link to numerous facts, each with their own sources its a one:many relationship.

e.g. Jane lives at New Farm when she marries in 1842, John is living there on the 1861 census and Peter is born there in 1911. Each fact has its own source (with presumably source images) but the photos & maps of New Farm are common to each.

Posted: 4 Nov 2013 2:03PM GMT
This is a weakness in FTM's place management capabilities. For linked trees, Ancestry.com has a place field for media items, but it doesn't sync (or is hidden from the user if so) and is not visible in FTM. Family Tree Maker doesn't have an equivalent of this field, and it offers no way to link Media directly to locations.

One thing that you can do for your media is to create a custom category for a particular place, so you could see the photos, maps, census images, etc. by looking in one place in the Media workspace. If you have additional research you want to share, create one or more media items to communicate it.

Using a source citation is probably the easiest way to attach a set of media items to a large number of people, but it can be a bit goofy in application, since you have to link the citation to a fact that it probably doesn't back up. You may find instead that a custom fact would work better for this.

Posted: 4 Nov 2013 2:50PM GMT
Thanks for the input.

Your suggestion (which sounds workable) - goofy as you say but workable) would presumably work something like this:

1) Create a custom fact - something like "Associated with"
2) When going onto John's record create an "Associated with" fact with the text field "New Farm"
3) Create a source called "New Farm facts" which holds info in the notes section and images as media.
4) Ensure that "Associated with" facts with narrative "New Farm" and the source "New Farm facts" always keep a 1:1 relationship

I'll have a play with this approach and see if it can work. It would be way better to have this as core functionality - I can't be the only one that would like it. Anyone know whether the development team are open to suggestions?
(incidentally, jamclo, this may have been what you meant - apologies if I misunderstood)

Posted: 5 Nov 2013 2:38PM GMT
I think you have a handle on it. You may need to experiment a bit to find a way of doing it that makes you happy (or, at least, less irritated). For example, if you're sharing your tree online via Ancestry.com, putting a narrative into citation notes will be too hidden for most users to find, if it even displays those (I don't recall). I do know that if you use source notes, then someone visiting your tree would have to follow two links to get there, first one to see the citation, next to see the source.

If you're using 2014 then you should be able to just copy and paste the custom fact from one person to another, and then you don't need to worry about forgetting to source one. You can also filter your index to limit your list to people you'll want to create this custom fact for. That's probably how I'd do it anyway.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions