Search for content in message boards

Patience Burgess

Patience Burgess

Posted: 4 Sep 2012 2:59AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: burgess,brennan
Patience was my great grandmother. She was born in Tartaraghan,County Armagh,Ireland in about 1872. She died in East Windsor,CT in 1954. She married Thomas Wilson in 1895 also in East Windsor,CT. I have no idea even who her parents were. I do know her eldest son was raised by Thomas' Brother and his wife and that he thought Patience maiden name was Brennan. That was the maiden name of Thomas' brothers wife. so, I suppose it's possible that was her real name.

Re: Patience Burgess

Posted: 11 Sep 2012 2:59PM GMT
They are in East Windsor in the 1900 census with their daughter, Florence, aged 11 months. The maiden name will appear in the marriage record, likely in East Windsor. Her maiden name may also appear in the baptismal information for the children. Failing that, check the marriage records of the children for Patience's maiden name. The 1930 census gives a middle initial, B.

http://www.eastwindsor-ct.gov/public_documents/EWindsorCT_Cl...

I'll be interested in knowing more about your Thomas as my husband's Wilsons were also from Tartaraghan.

Posted: 15 Sep 2012 10:02PM GMT
He Maiden name was Burgess. That is what it says on all the records. I'd love to a city dir. for East Windsor for the year before she married to see who she was with for clues.

About Thomas,His parents were James Wilson and Jane Kennedy. He had 9 siblings: John,James,Sarah,Maria Louise,Mary Ann,Margaret,Robert and Martha. They came to the US in 1873. Rpipergirl@verizon.net is my e mail

Posted: 20 Sep 2012 7:35PM GMT
Surnames: Burgess
I had a look in the birth index at the registry office in Belfast (Groni) and couldn't see any births of a Patience Burgess anywhere in Northern Ireland from 1864 to 1880.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help but it may save you from wasting effort looking there with those details.
Regards
David
http://www.emeraldancestors.com

Posted: 20 Sep 2012 7:49PM GMT
I will check my Tartaraghan records and see what I can find out but your Thomas is a generation later than mine.

As for Patience, do you have a copy of her death certificate -- died October 22, 1954 in Broad Brook, CT. It might name her parents.

Posted: 21 Sep 2012 6:37PM GMT
I do and unfortunately it dose not. TY I can't wait to find out what you have. My email is: rpipergirl@verizon.net

Posted: 24 Sep 2012 1:23PM GMT
Some years ago, I had all of the Wilson entries pulled from the Tartaraghan and Milltown parish records from about 1825 to about 1860. Elsewhere, I found that you had listed James' birth date as 19 July 1832 in Tartaraghan. Unfortunately, his baptism does not appear in the records, so he may have been baptized elsewhere. However, I did find the baptism for several of the children in Milltown Parish:

11 May 1850 -- Margaret Jane, daughter of James (weaver) and Jane of Ballynarry (born 3 May 1850)

8 October 1854 -- Mary Ann, daughter of James (weaver) & Jane of Ballynarry (born 7 September 1854)

21 December 1856 -- Maria, daughter of James (weaver) and Jane of Ballynarry (born 26 November 1856)

13 March 1859 -- Sarah, daughter of James (weaver) and Jane of Ballynarry (born 20 January 1859).

This is the only couple names James & Jane who appear in the records, so assume they are yours; however, again, I was not able to find a marriage record for them. You might want to check the records in neighbouring parishes (ie, Killyman or Drumcree).

I did find a possible related marriage:

Jane Wilson of Tartaraghan married Alexander Kennedy of the same parish; 28 September 1838; witnesses: William Williamson & James Dillon.

Burial Records in Tartaraghan:

John Wilson, of Ballinary, buried 29 December 1846, aged 17 years

John Wilson, of Ballinary, buried 11 July 1847, aged 49 years

Other possible Wilson relatives (from Milltown Parish:

Anne Jane, daughter to Richard (mason) & Margaret, of Ballinary, born 8 October 1845, baptized 2 November 1845.

Richard, son to Richard (mason) & Margaret, of Ballynarry, born 14 April 1849, baptized 13 May 1849.

Anne, daughter to George (weaver) & Frances, of Ballynarry, born 18 September 1852, baptized 19 September 1852.

James, son to George (weaver) & Francis, of Ballynarry, born 17 January 1854, baptized 22 January 1854.

William, son to Richard (mason) & Margaret, of Ballynarry, born 26 August 1855, baptized 25 November 1855.

Mary, daughter to George (labourer) & Frances, of Ballynarry, born 15 September 1856, baptized 21 September 1856.

James, son to Richard (mason) & Margaret, of Ballynarry, born 21 October 1858, baptized 14 November 1858.

Elizabeth, daughter to George (weaver) & Frances, of Ballynarry, born 16 January 1859, baptized 24 November 1859.

David, son to David (weaver) & Sarah Wilson, of Ballynarry, born 22 October 1859, baptized 9 February 1860.

On the confirmation lists in Tartaraghan Church from Milltown Church Congregation:

1845:

John Wilson, aged 17, Ballynarry
James Wilson, aged 16, Ballynarry
(this might be your James, which would suggest a birth year of approx. 1829).

Confirmation Lists presented in Drumcree Church from Milltown Church Congregation:

1859:

John Wilson, aged 16, Ballynarry

1863:

David Wilson, aged 26, Ballynarry

Other marriages (Milltown):

19 April 1844
William John Wilson, Ballynarry, farm servant, married Sarah Wilson, Ballynarry; witnesses: Robert Wilson & William Bennison

22 August 1844
John Wilson, Ballynarry, farmer, married Maria Courtney, Derryadd; witnesses: John McClelland and Robert Courtney

Burial Records (Milltown) -- no Wilsons prior to 1862:

24 January 1865 -- Richard Wilson, Ballinarry, aged 46
?? June ?? -- James Wilson, Ballinary, aged 22
27 February 1884 - Sarah Wilson, Ballinarry, aged 20
11 August 1884 - Eliza Wilson, Ballinary, aged 23
2 November 1884 - Frances Wilson, Ballinary, aged 54
12 January 1889 - George Frances, Ballinary, aged 60

Posted: 9 Oct 2012 5:35PM GMT
Yes, the first set are mine. I need to research the others. TY so much for all the info. Angie

Posted: 9 Oct 2012 9:15PM GMT
Edited: 9 Oct 2012 9:27PM GMT

Record Type Civil Marriage
Date of Marriage 1 Jul 1850
Groom Name james WILSON
Bride Name jane KENNEDY
Church Lurgan Civil Registrars Office
Parish Shankill
Civil District Lurgan
County Armagh

Record Type Civil Birth
Date of Birth 1 Jun 1865
Name James WILSON
Gender M
Fathers Name James WILSON
Mothers Forenames Jane
Mothers Maiden Name KENNEDY
Civil District Lurgan
Sub District Portadown
County Armagh

Record Type Civil Birth
Date of Birth 19 Sep 1868
Name Thomas WILSON
Gender M
Fathers Name James WILSON
Mothers Forenames Jane
Mothers Maiden Name KENNEDY
Civil District Lurgan
Sub District Tartaraghan
County Armagh

Posted: 1 Nov 2012 5:34PM GMT
Yes that Thomas is my great grandfather and James and Jane were his parents. The other record was a brother. TY for those,but what I really need is Patience.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions