Search for content in message boards

Santa Barbara

Cordero, Florez, Domingus, Espinosa

Ned Wilson (View posts)
Posted: 20 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Flores Dominguez Cordero Espinosa
There are lots of Corderos who have been here in Santa Barbara for a long time, but not back when land grants were given. Also, are you sure of the spelling of the names? Flores and Dominguez or Domingues are the usual Spanish spellings. There weren't any land grants in S.B. because the Mission and Presidio got the big chunks. There was a large Dominguez land grant in the Los Angeles area -- 75,000 acres granted to Juan Jose Dominguez as Rancho San Pedro -- the adobe built by his nephew Manuel in the 1820's is still standing in Carson, and several L.A. cities are built on the old Rancho lands. The adobe is now a museum -- the address is Dominguez Seminary, 18127 Alameda St, Carson, CA 90220. I don't have other info on the family, and none of the other names you listed show up in my genealogical data, but hope this helps.

Santa Barbara

Patti (View posts)
Posted: 20 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Cordero, Florez, Domingus, Espinosa
in re:e-mail
update;The family was suppose to have came from Spain to Santa Barbara.I have last name Esponosa parents of Thomasa Domingus,Domingus daughter was Christina Florez,know that she lived to be 105 and received proclaimation from senate of California.Christina's son Juan(used John)Jesus Cordero/married Ida Florez,they had 6 children;Thomas:died in 1936,Bernard,Frank,John,Margaret and Robert.Robert(dad)was born inSanta Barbara,two different birth dates family given 2-19-1926,social sercrity has as 2-16-1925,was in the navy and was killed in a car accident in Bremerton,Wa.5-6-1967/wife and children all still living.After Juan's parents death it is said that he and his brother received their land grant that covered most of Santa Barbara.I am finding nothing to verify this information.

Oops! About Dominguez...

Ned Wilson (View posts)
Posted: 21 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Dominguez
I'm sorry, but one rather small (by old California standards) land grant slipped my mind -- there was Rancho Las Virgines, 365 acres, granted to Nemecio Dominguez and Domingo Carrillo. It really isn't clear why Dominguez and Carrillo wanted that particular piece of land, since most of it was in an overgrown area that had just recently been cleared of grizzly bears. Most people avoided "Montecito". But when wealthy Eastern businessmen started building estates in Montecito in the 1870's and 1880's, Dominga Dominguez filed suit to get the land back from a group of people who had settled there over the years. The case went all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court, which decided the Dominguez family lost the land grant by not filing a claim with the U.S. governement (which was required when the U.S. took California away from Mexico).

land grants

Posted: 7 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 21 Apr 2003 1:54AM GMT
Surnames: Cordero, Dominquez, Flores
Santa Barbara County did indeed have land grants. Miguel
Cordero has a large one at Las Cruces. Just up the coast from Gaviota. This is were the Flores family were living.
I'done alot or research on the Cordero family. I have some informatin on the Dominquez family and I know some about the Flores family you are looking for. Please e-mail and I'll try to help you. Please tell what you know. your family line as far as you know it. The Flores family did not have a land grant that I know of, but will check records.
Phyllis

Cordero Land Grants

Posted: 23 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 11 May 2005 6:45PM GMT
Surnames: Cordero
Thank you Phyllis for clarifying that 'yes' indeed there were land grants given in the Santa Barbara area. Spain had only given a few i.e. Dominguez family, it is when Mexico took control that many land grants were given. The Cordero family had two Mexican land grants, Salsipuedes and Las Cruces (Gaviota area). My lienage goes back to Mariano Cordero (soldado de cuera with Portola) and Juana Pinto. I have an extensive genealogy report on the Cordero's and am always looking to expand it with information on more cousins.

Cordero

Val-Cruz (View posts)
Posted: 24 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Valencia
My ancestors too had a land grant on Salsipuedes Street. Are we related? Pinero - Valencia

Las Cruses

Val-Cruz (View posts)
Posted: 26 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Ancestors
The families that lived at Las Cruses were supposed to be ancestors of mine also. Cordero, Pinero, Valencia. My Grandmother was Madeline Pinero, her mother was Inocencia Cordero. Inocencia married a Nolescio Pinero. Madeline married a Valencia whose family, as an old map of 1883 shows, had a land grant on Salsipuedes Hill between De La Guerra and Carrillo Streets.

I have not been able to connect my Cordero to other Corderos. Would a relative be Juan Cordero who lived on Ortega Street near the Ortega Park in Santa Barbara? Do any of you good cousins know?

Re: land grants

Eugenia Pineda (View posts)
Posted: 19 Nov 2001 5:34AM GMT
Hello my name is Eugenia I believe we have met at sometime in my research. I'm not sure. It was in reguards to the Manso surname. I would like to know if you could help me with any information on Juan Flores who married Maria de Jesus Valenzuela. Both died in Ventura, CA. Mary was also known as Mary but most of the church records have her listed as Maria de Jesus. Maria was of Yaqui decent. Thank you Eugenia (edpcow@aol.com).

Patti (View posts)
Posted: 19 Nov 2001 6:23AM GMT
Juan De Jesus Cordero born; June 15,1800 in Santa Barbara,Ca.
Christened: June 19,1800 Mission santa Barbara,Ca.
Death: ?
married Nov.28,1822 in Mission,Santa Barbara,Ca. to Maria Antonia Valenzuela born: June 12,1806 in Santa Barbara.
Children:only ones i have at this time are:
1.Maria Simona Cordero born:feb.3,1825 in Santa Barbara,Ca.
2.Estanislao baptised: Dec.,1836 in Santa Ynez
That is all i have at this time hope this helps,keep in touch.
Patti

Patti (View posts)
Posted: 19 Nov 2001 6:26AM GMT
Have not researched the Manso surname,direct line is Cordero,Domingues,Flores.
i have nothing on Manso that i can recall.
Patti
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions