Search for content in message boards

Cole, Cool, and Kohl; origins of the surname; Coles in New York

Cole, Cool, and Kohl; origins of the surname; Coles in New York

Cole Goodwin (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jul 1999 8:04AM GMT
The first Coles in North America arrived about 1620 in New Amsterdam, the family of Jacob Barentzen Cool (pronounced by the Dutch as "Cole"), who was a captain of a vessel for the Dutch West India Company. Around the time of the Revolutionary War, most of his descendants had changed the spelling to "Cole". Many with this surname assume it is of English derivation, but Jaocob Barentzen Cool was from the Netherlands, where he was born about 1600.

There is some thinking among researchers that all Cools, Coles, and Kohls (Germanic) may have a common ancestor further back, but this is still speculation.

The Dutch Cools have had their family history traced back to the late 1400s and there is considerable descendancy available in published form as well as on the Internet at the following site:

http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/jrichmon/cole0003.htm--

Just thought you would want to know.

Sincerely,

Cole Goodwin

Cole Kohl connection

Robert Cole (View posts)
Posted: 5 Dec 1999 7:37AM GMT
Thanks for the connection. We off the Cole Family in PA OH knew we were not of English but of Germand origin. I will look at this more.

Thank You
Bob Cole

Grandfathers name was Azel Cole, last known to be in Pont, Erie Co., Pa.

English Cole

Posted: 16 Feb 2000 1:01AM GMT
Edited: 16 Jul 2003 8:59AM GMT
In England, Cole could be a prefix to a name that signified that the bearer was the
bastard son of a king.

Cole (Dutch)

Posted: 30 May 2001 11:09PM GMT
Edited: 21 Sep 2005 5:27AM GMT
The original spelling of my family surname was Kool and later changed to Cole. I have found records under Cool, Kool, Kohl, Cole. I am back to 1791 where I am having trouble finding the parents of Jacob S. Cole and his wife Eve (Eva) Minckler (actually I have her family back to 1680's) It is Jacobs parents I am trying to find.
In 1791 they had a child, William who married Hannah Osterhout (I suspect she was called Anna). I assume that my Jacob S. was born in the mid 1700's, in New York State. There is suspose to be some early connection to the E. India Co., possibly his father or gf.
William (my line) was born in Johnstown, and other members of the family were born in Lawyerville, Pittsford, Richmondville, Kingston, Rhinebeck and other towns.

Jacob and Eves 1st child was born in 1777, so I expect Jacob was born in the mid 1700's. If you can help me I would greatly appreciate it.

Clarice

Re: Cole Kohl connection

sheryl cole (View posts)
Posted: 24 Jan 2004 6:58AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: cole skelton
looking for kin of henry robert cole was german decent born 7/25/1893 wifes name mazie v. (skelton) cole lived in connellsville pa. all there lives

Re: Cole (Dutch)

Emily Cole (View posts)
Posted: 20 Mar 2005 11:02PM GMT
Surnames: Cole
Hello,
I have been doing a lot of family research. I have found a few similarities and do not know if they are the same. I have Jacob Cole Jr. who was born in 1775 in New York. His father Jacob S. Cole was born in New York City in 1743 and died in 1848. Married to Esther Towner, with 4 kids. Jacob Cole Sr. is the grandfather of a William B. Cole... any relations? Thanks!
Emily

Posted: 20 Apr 2011 7:45PM GMT
Emily, I, too , have the same Cole/Coal/Kohl/Cool genealogy as you, with Jacob Cole being the grandfather of Wiliam B. Cole. Our dates do not match up. I go back about 6 generations from William B. but my data might have some problems, esp. with dates. I would be happy to share with you what I have and perhaps we can improve and correct both of our trees. My paternal grandmother was Ida Cole, daughter of Alvah Peleg Cole. Tim McCallum, tmac7778@yahoo.com

Posted: 20 Apr 2011 7:51PM GMT
Clarice, I, too, am a Cole/Coal/Kohl/Cool descendant with 5 Jacobs in my tree. None seems to have been married to Eve Minkler. I do have an "Edgar Minkler" in my tree, married to an Emma Ann Cole. Any connection? I would be glad to share. Tim McCallum tmac7778@yahoo.com

Posted: 22 Apr 2011 4:08AM GMT
Hi-
Thank you for your message! I do not really do much genealogy anymore, but would love to compare and correct dates. What sort of differences do you have? Most of the later back Cole genealogy I got from other people I believe.

Emily
Posted: 25 Apr 2011 11:23PM GMT
If you would send be your e-mail address to tmac7778@yahoo.com, I will share as much Cole information as needed. Thanks for getting back to me.\
Tim
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions