Search for content in message boards

SSgt George W. Van Sickle - KIA 30 January 1944

SSgt George W. Van Sickle - KIA 30 January 1944

Posted: 8 Jul 2011 5:43PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Van Sickle

Hello,

I'm looking to find any and all information available on George W. Van Sickle, born around 1921 in New Jersey.

I'm compiling a history of the men who were killed with my great-uncle when their B-17 bomber was shot down on 30 January 1944. George was the tail gunner on the B-17.

His next-of-kin was given as his mother, Anna Van Sickle, Rural Free Delivery Number One, Monmouth Junction, New Jersey.

So far I can find that he was born around 1921 and enlisted out of New Jersey on 31 July 1942. I have been able to find a George Van Sickle from New Jersey that was born in 1927 (census records) but if this was the George I am looking for that would make him only 15 when he enlisted.....but I've been told that people could get away with that fairly often during WWII.

I'm very new to this family research so any assistance would be greatly appreciated !!

Thanks,

Gene

Re: SSgt George W. Van Sickle - KIA 30 January 1944

Posted: 9 Jul 2011 12:13AM GMT
Hello Gene,

George was the son of Jeremiah Wilbur Van Sickle and grandson of George H. Van Sickle and Katherine Day. The Van Sickle line is as follows:

George (1921-1944)
Jeremiah (1894-1937?)
George H. (1866-1910)
William A. (1824-1895)
Cornelius (1796-1855)
William (1755-1846)
Reynier (1716-c.1750)
Johannes (born c.1669)
Ferdinandus (born c.1635)

George and family can be found in the 1920 & 1930 census in New Brunswick, Middlesex Co. New Jersey. George's great-great grandfather, Cornelius, can be found in John W. Van Sickle's book from 1880 (on page 183):

http://books.google.com/books?id=SJlYAAAAMAAJ&dq=%22hist...

I'm attaching an article from the Trenton Evening Times on 1 March 1944. I hope that you will find it useful.

Jeannie
Attachments:

Posted: 9 Jul 2011 2:20AM GMT
Surnames: Van Sickle
Hi Jeannie,

Thank you for the information. I was able to find the census report from 1930 that showed George on it. However, the one I found showed his mother as Anna and his father as John, not Jeremiah. Can you help with figuring out which is correct ??

I was wondering if you knew if there is any information on George's family after 1930 ? I'm wondering if there were other children born after the 1930 census was taken, or if George was an only child.

I thank you again for the assistance. You really ARE a Genealogy Genie !!! Maybe someday I'll get there....

Gene

Posted: 11 Jul 2011 4:32AM GMT
LOL! I could not help but to make a play on my name. :D

I was a little thrown off by that census myself at first because George's father was listed as John. In 1920 and in previous census records, (also in New Brunswick), he is listed as J. Wilbur. The WWI Draft Index lists him as J. Wilbur too, but the WWII Index lists his full name- Jeremiah Wilbur.

I'm not certain if George had any siblings. I tend to think he was an only child. Jeremiah died in 1966, Anna in 1974. I'll see if I can find any obits. It might take a couple of days.

Jeannie
Posted: 11 Jul 2011 4:34AM GMT
P.S. Jeremiah was named for his uncle.

Posted: 12 Jul 2011 7:24PM GMT
I'm sorry, Gene, but I wasn't able to find anything more for you. If I do happen across anything, I'll be sure to remember you.

Jeannie

Posted: 3 Aug 2011 5:17PM GMT
Jeannie,

Hello again. Hate to bug you again but if you are going to be a "genealogical genie" then you have to put up with riff-raff like me !!

I'm wondering if you have any more information on George W's dad....Jeremiah Wilber. From my basic research I think he had two brothers, Russel D. and George S.

I'm thinking that if George W. was an only child, then his dad's two brothers might have obtained some of the family history. I thought maybe I'd try to track down their families and see what I could come up with.

Thanks again,

Gene
"The Rookie"

Posted: 4 Aug 2011 6:26PM GMT
Hello Gene! You're definitely not bugging me. I'm very happy to do all that I can to help contribute to your noble cause. Unfortunately, I have very little else to offer though. My records just aren't as recent as you need.

I did find the obituary of Jeremiah's father, which lists that he had four sons. I am unable to find anything on the unknown son. The other two sons, Russell Day Van Sickle (1890-1967) and George Stanley Van Sickle (c.1902-after 1929) appear not have had any descendants.

Although I am uncertain where the younger generation of this family is buried, the older Van Sickles are buried in Elmwood Cemetery in the town of New Brunswick. Sometimes cemeteries have obituaries on file. I think it's worth a shot. Their phone number is (732) 545-1445.

There is also a volunteer at Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness for Middlesex county. You can find her email through the link below:

http://www.raogk.org/newjersey2.htm

I'll be sure to keep my eyes open for anything that will help. Keep in touch, Gene.

Jeannie

Posted: 14 Oct 2011 11:11AM GMT
Edited: 14 Oct 2011 1:56PM GMT
I have some gravestone pictures from VanLiew cemetery you might find interesting, I will send you tomorrow
sharon

Posted: 14 Oct 2011 12:42PM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
Edited: 14 Oct 2011 1:40PM GMT
Surnames: VanSickle
this pic was taken in the 1970s showing headstone in VanLiew cemetery New Brunswick NJ of J Wilbur Vansickle 1894-1966 & Anna 1898-1974
Attachments:
per page

Find a board about a specific topic