Search for content in message boards

Vosmik and Jozwiak families in Chicago

Vosmik and Jozwiak families in Chicago

Posted: 28 Apr 2010 8:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Vosmik, Jozwiak
I am trying to find information for maternal great grandparents. I have hit a wall on both families as I have immigration dates (from census data) but am unable to located where they arrived or where they originally came from.

For the family of Joseph Vosmik and wife Mary, son Joseph and daughters Annie and Rose, I know that they arrived in 1891 from Bohemia (some records say Austrian Bohemia)and settled in Niles, IL but I cannot find out how they got here and where exactly they came from..

Same issue for John Jozwiak. I know that he arrived in 1893 from German Poland and settled in Chicago but no information where he arrived, how he got here or where he came from.

Can anyone suggest how I move another generation back into the past? Thanks!

Re: Vosmik and Jozwiak families in Chicago

Posted: 29 Apr 2010 9:59PM GMT

Posted: 29 Apr 2010 11:48PM GMT
Josef Vosmyk 37,Marie 36, Josef 14, Anna 5, Mathias 3, Rozena 11/12, arrived August 31, 1895 from Austria, sailing on board the "Augusta Victoria" port of New York.
I did not see son Mathias on the 1900 census.
For his ancestral town, look for death cert., declaration of intention to be naturalized, etc. After you find the town, then we can proceed.
As for Jozwiak, tell me more: age, wife, parents, children,
etc.
Jean

Posted: 30 Apr 2010 2:06AM GMT
Thank you so very much! One of your links provided a Czech dictionary which is useful for translating genalogical terms into English. I just discovered Joseph Vosmik Sr. obituary in papers my grandmother kept, and have determined that he is from Pisik.

Now on to the Polish side!

Thanks again!

Posted: 30 Apr 2010 2:21AM GMT
Thank you for all the work you did on Joseph Vosmik. It is not him, he was born in 1858 and arrived in 1891 per 1910 census. He brought wife Mary (born 1859 and called Irma in his obituary notice), son Joseph (born 1882) and daughter Anna (born 1887). I know this is the family, as my grandmother was one of the children born here. I just found a dictionary to help translate Czech genalogical records, and now know that he came from Pisik, Bohemia. But still no knowledge of how they got here. Do you know if those coming to Chicago tended to enter by a specific port? I know that Ellis Island was not yet open in 1881.

As for the Jozwiak family - my grandfather was Joseph Henry Jozwiak, born June 30 1896. Father was John, born about 1870 in German Poland and arrived in 1893. Mother was Francis (don't know maiden name), born about 1870 in German Poland. Arrived in 1892. All lived in Chicago. No Ellis Island records found for John, know that Francis will be difficult without maiden name.

Any direction you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Vosmik

Posted: 30 Apr 2010 2:33AM GMT
You're welcome.

Vosmyk, Anna Austria 5 1890 1895
Vosmyk, Josef Austria 37 1858 1895
Vosmyk, Marie Austria 36 1859 1895
Vosmyk, Raszena Austria 1 1894 1895 too bad the early manifests do not give a place of birth but you are saying that they were from Pisek. No VOSMIK in Pisek's phone book so is it possible that they were from vicinity of Pisek and not from a town of Pisek? You might want to look for some other US documents to confirm Pisek as the location.

Re: VOSMYK, Joseph Chicago, Ill

Posted: 30 Apr 2010 2:38AM GMT
sandilotter

What you think about him? Could he be your ancestor? If yes, than he most likely was naturalized citizen since he went to "old country".
Wosmyk, Joseph Chicago, Ill. 65 1858 1923 www.ellisislandrecords.org

Re: Vosmyk/ Voxmyk arr. 1895

Posted: 30 Apr 2010 2:51AM GMT
Voxmyk, Jopsef Austria 14 1881 1895
Voxmyk, Mathias Austria 3 1892 1895
Vosmyk, Anna Austria 5 1890 1895
Vosmyk, Josef Austria 37 1858 1895[*]
Vosmyk, Marie Austria 36 1859 1895
Vosmyk, Raszena Austria 1 1894 1895

http://www.mesto-pisek.cz/
Town of Pisek is in Jihocesky kraj but Stredocesky kraj listing most VOSMIKs and then city of Praha[Prague].
http://seznam.1188.cz/?&q=vosmik&region=2
Just took a glance in CZ's atlas and there are several towns named Pisek.
Pisek [Frydek-Mistek]; Pisek [Plzen]; Pisek [Hradec Kralove]; Pisek.

Re: Vosmyk/ Voxmyk arr. 1895

Posted: 30 Apr 2010 3:51AM GMT
Thank you for your information, but it is the wrong Vosmik. Joseph and Mary arrived in 1881 with son Joseph, Jr, and daughter Anna. I appreciate all of your work and links.

Kindest regards!

Re: VOSMYK, Joseph Chicago, Ill

Posted: 30 Apr 2010 3:53AM GMT
Thank you again, but I know it is not him. The only one who went back to the "old country" was his daughter Emma in 1934.

Kindest regards!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions