Search for content in message boards

Harrison Family Connections

Posted: 14 May 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 3 Aug 2006 8:34PM GMT
Surnames: HARRISON, BAKER, TERRILL, ABRAMS, GABBARD, LAKES, ISSACS, BOWMAN, SHEPHERD, TERRY, BOWLES, THOMAS
For some years several Harrison researchers have mistakenly given out information that my Elisha Harrison of Madison Co and Estill Co, Ky was born in Surrey Co, VA to a John and Mildred Harrison. This is incorrect, and I hope that my information will help correct many peoples pedigrees....Elisha Harrison, son of Jonathan Harrison and Mercy Terry of Botetourt Co, VA, was born in the 1780's in Va or NC, and married Ifa Sookotosh Baker, born 8 Aug 1790 NC, in 1805 in Madison Co, Ky. She was the daughter of John Renta Baker and (Elizabeth?) Terrill. This family is listed on early records of Estill County, Ky. Elisha Harrison died in 1848 Estill Co, Ky and his wife Ifa Baker Harrison died in 1866 in Jackson Co, Ky at the home of her son William Canady Harrison, who is my great-great-grandfather. Elisha and Ifa's children were: John Baker Harrison, Jonathan Harrison, George Harrison, Thomas Harrison, Polly Harrison (wife of Bazel Abrams), Susannah Harrison (wife of Peter Gabbard), Alitha Harrison (wife of John Wesley Gabbard), Nancy Jane Harrison (wife of Greenberry Lakes), Elisha H Harrison, Nathaniel Harrison, William Canady Harrison, and Sally Ann Harrison (wife of Elisha Isaacs).

William Canady Harrison was born 1 Nov 1827 in Estill Co, Ky and married Elizabeth Gentry Gabbard born 23 April 1833 Clay Co, Ky to Edward Gabbard and Sarah Bowman. These were the parents of my great grandmother Eliza Jane Harrison Shepherd, who with her parents left Ky to come to Madison and Crawford Counties, Arkansas after the Civil War. Through old family papers and court records I have established that Elisha Harrison, Sr. (who married Ifa Sookotosh Baker) was the son of Jonathan Harrison and Mercy Terry of Botetourt Co, Virginia.

Hopefully this info will connect with other families, and they will contact me.

I also descend from William Anderson Bowles (b 1787 Va) of Estill Co, Ky. He married Lucy Ann Thomas in 1821 Madison Co, Ky and then lived in Estill Co, Ky where son James Daniel Bowles was born in 1831. I also seek info on that family and especially on Lucy Ann Thomas' father Abraham Thomas.

Thanks for any connections...

David Travillion Bunton
613 South Commerce Ave.
Russellville, AR 72801

Gabbard family

Posted: 2 Aug 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 5 Jul 2001 6:13AM GMT
Surnames: Gabbard, Bowman, Lakes, Harrison, Mahaffey
Hello David Again,
I need some help with the children of Ed and Sally (Bowman) Gabbard. For one thing can you give a run down of the children of Elisha and who they married? Also when did Elisha and his wife died.
Need to know what happened to John Lakes after he divorced his wife, Nancy Gabbard Lakes. Do you know what happened to Cynthia & Jacob Seaborn? I understand that Jane who married George W. Baker moved to Missouri, must consult my notes for which county. Is her name Eliza Jane or just Jane? George W. Baker's mother, Joanna, md(2) William C. Mahaffey and they went to Arkansas also.
Any help you can give me about the family and Ed and Sally's children and grandchildren will be greatly appreciated.
And while you are at it, do you know where the two daughters of Elijah and Elizabeth went. One married Jacob Gibson and the other Littleton Hughes/Hews. Ruth

Posted: 2 Aug 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 5 Jul 2001 6:13AM GMT
Surnames: Thomas
Hello David, My records have the following:
Abraham Thomas b. Dec 30, 1770 d. Apr 23, 1850. Lucy Thomas, His wife b. Mar 9, 1770 d. Jan 19, 1858, md 29 July 1796.
Children
Judah b. Feb 17, 1798 md Pleasant Reynolds s/o Richard on 24 Sept 1818
Cornelius b. Mar 22, 1800 md 11 Dec 1823 Peggy McGuire d/o Archibald D. McGuire and Peggy Guyer.
Elizabeth b. June 1802 md 16 Mar 1826 Joshua Paris
Lucy b. Oct 25, 1804 md 28 Dec 1821 William A. Bowles
Isaac b. Dec 1, 1806 d. May 11, 1870 mdc 1839 Elizabeth Rankin
William b. June 16, 1808
Sarah b. June 8, 1810 d. before 1850 md 18 Aug 1829 George Henson Brandenburg
Nancy b. Aug 8, 1816 md 11 Oct 1837 James Brandenburg
Mary Ann b. Nov 16, 1819
Joseph b. Apr 4, 1823 mdc 1850 Owsley Co, Elizabeth Brewer
I have some more dates on the family of Isaac Thomas and Elizabeth Rankin and on the children of Cornelius Peggy McGuire.

Gabbard Bowman Connection

Maxine Bowling Friedly (View posts)
Posted: 3 Aug 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Gabbard, Bowman, Isaacs
I have read with interest entries concerning the Gabbards. My question: Was Elisha Williamson Bowman the father of Sally Bowman who married Ed Gabbard? I have an Elisha W. Bowman (1815) who married 19 July 1835 Evaline Isaacs. Elisha W. was the son of Elijah (ca 1775) son of Cornelius Sr.(1740) my 4th great grandfather. If this is the same line, does anyone know who the descendants of Sally and Ed were?
Maxine Bowling Friedly, 1105 Woodlake Road, Stamping Ground, KY 40379-9709

connections to Harrison & Gabbard

Surnames: Gabbard, Bowman, Lakes, Harrison, Mahaffey, Gibson, Hughes
Ruth
So glad to have your response about our Estill County families...I do have more info on both Elisha Harrison and Elisha Williamson Bowman (including his portrait); I don't know much about the Lakes or Lax family, but am VERY INTERESTED in their lines. My great-grandmother was Eliza Jane Harrison Shepherd, who was named after her aunt Eliza Jane Gabbard Baker. I have the burial announcement for Aunt Jane Gabbard Baker who died in SW Missouri...I believe it was McDonald County, but must check my records which arent here at the moment. Jane Gabbard's husband, George Baker was the son of Joanna Alford Baker Mahaffey, who went to Madison County, Arkansas (I have a picture of her, George, and Jane Baker.) The sister of my Elizabeth Gabbard Harrison you referred to as Cynthia, was named Seretha, who married Jacob Sebourn, and moved to an area on the Crawford and Washington County, Arkansas line named Winslow. They are buried on Mount Gaylor Cemetery there..(and I have pictures of them also)Also have a rare newspaper article about her birthday as an aged pioneer. I dont know about the Jacob Gibson and Littleton Hughes connections, but would appreciate more info, as I know the Hughes and Reynolds married and then offspring married children of my Moses and Nancy Wilder Williams of Madison County, KY and Madison County, Arkansas. I believe we can answer a lot of each others questions...I have much info gleaned from the old-timers over the last few decades....
David Travillion Bunton, 613 South Commerce Ave, Russellville, AR 72801

Thomas and Bowles connections

Surnames: Thomas, Bowles, Reynolds, McGuire, Bowles, Rankin, Brandenburg, Brewer
Ruth,
Thanks for the info on my Estill County, Ky Thomas and Bowles families. I did not have my Lucy Ann Thomas Bowles' mother's name, just that her father was a minister named Abraham Thomas. It is interesting that her siblings married Brewer and Brandenburg and Reynolds, as Brewer and Reynolds people married children of my Moses Williams and Nancy Ann Wilder of Hawkins Co, TN and Madison County, Ky (and Estill County ?)...Brandenburg married into my Gabbard family. These full dates look like they lead to a terrific source.
I understand that old Abraham Thomas' log house is still standing, do you know about that? Where were Abraham and his wife Lucy married? What is her maiden name? Thanks for any further help, David Travillion Bunton, 613 South Commerce Ave, Russellville, AR 72801

Lakes-Gabbard

Roy Lynch (View posts)
Posted: 6 Aug 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Lynch, Lakes, Durbin, Burnett, Logsdon, etc
Who was the father of John Lakes who married Nancy Gabbard.
I don't have him attached to his parents.

Sarah Sally Bowman Gabbard

Posted: 6 Aug 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Bowman, Gabbard, Gentry
Dear Maxine, concerning our Estill County families...
Sarah (Sally) Bowman who married Edward (Ed/Ned) Gabbard in 1817 (I think) Clay Co, Ky was the daughter of Elijah Bowman and Elizabeth Gentry. Elijah was the son of Cornelius Bowman. The Elisha Williamson Bowman who I was referred to was Sarah Bowman Gabbard's uncle, not her brother. I have letters and portrait of Elisha Williamson Bowman, son of Cornelius Bowman, and brother of my Elijah Bowman who married Elizabeth Gentry. As another point of interest, Sarah Bowman Gabbard, named a daughter Elizabeth Gentry Gabbard, after the child's maternal grandmother. This Elizabeth Gentry Gabbard, born in 1833, married William Canady Harrison, and is my great-great grandmother.
David Travillion Bunton, 613 South Commerce Ave, Russellville, AR 72801

I am a decendant

Brandi JO Gabbard (View posts)
Posted: 7 Aug 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Gabbard, Issacs
I am a decendant of the Gabbard/Issacs family of Jackson Co. Kentucky, specifically McKee. Can anyone help me find some info?

John Lakes' parents

Laura Schultz (View posts)
Posted: 10 Aug 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Lakes, Abrams, Gabbard
Here is my list of children of John and Mary (Abrams) Lakes. I would be interested in contact with you and any other researchers of these lines of Clay, Jackson, Estill, Madison and surrounding counties. Some of my info can be viewed at my website linked below. Additions and corrections ALWAYS welcome!

----------------------------
1. JOHN4 LAKES (ROBERT3, WILLIAM2 LAX, WILLIAM1) was born Bet. 1790 - 1800 in NC, and died 10 June 1859 in Jackson Co. KY. He married MARY ABRAMS 16 November 1825 in Estill Co. KY.

Children of JOHN LAKES and MARY ABRAMS are:

i. DIANAH5 LAKES, b. 1820, KY; d. Aft. 1880, KY; m. JEDDIAH HUBBARD BOWLES.

ii. JOHN "JACK" LAKES, b. Abt. 1821, KY; d. 25 October 1875, Jackson Co. KY; m. (1) SYLVANIA RICKETTS; m. (2) NANCY GABBARD, 05 March 1848, Indian Creek, Madison Co., KY; m. (3) LUCINDA GRIFFIN, 12 September 1867.

iii. THOMAS LAKES, b. 23 December 1824; d. 23 December 1890; m. SUSAN JANE "SWAN" GABBARD, 05 March 1848, Madison Co., KY.

iv. AMANDA LAKES, b. Abt. 1825; m. STEPHEN CALEB CARPENTER, 18 November 1852, Rockcastle Co., KY.

v. MARY LAKES, b. November 1844; d. Aft. 1920; m. (1) JAKE HACKNEY; m. (2) JOB MORRIS, 16 April 1877, Jackson Co. KY.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic