Search for content in message boards

Robertson, James

Robertson, James

Lee Hughes (View posts)
Posted: 2 Sep 2000 7:28AM GMT
I am looking for info on James L. Robertson
(parents, siblings, etc.). He was born about
1802 in South Carolina. Appears in 1850 in
Marion County, Alabama with wife, Martha Ann.
They had eleven children- Martha, John, Elizebetn
William Burkley, George W. Malinda, James, Mary,
Newton Jasper, Martha R, and Rhoda.
Thanks! Lee

James Robertson

Posted: 2 Sep 2000 5:10PM GMT
Edited: 2 Jul 2001 2:31PM GMT
Lee -- Is it possible that James L. Robertson was a child of one of the Robertson/Alexander/McKinney group that left the Keowee Valley of (what is now) Oconee Co., SC for Alabama about 1800? The Robertsons came up Keowee River in the late 1700s, intermarried with McKinneys, Boones, etc. and established the home base that still exists on a point of land in Lake Keowee. An early patriarch of that clan was James Alexander Robertson. Of those who went to Ala., some had returned to S.C. by about 1810, and remained here; ultimately they were kin to just about everybody who's been here a long time. If this link has possibilities let me know and I will search sources here in upper SC.

James L. Robertson

Lee Hughes (View posts)
Posted: 2 Sep 2000 6:03PM GMT
I not really sure since I don't know his wife's
surname. All I have on him is when he showed
up in Alabama. I would be most grateful for any
info you could find; if it's not to much trouble.
Thanks! Lee

E-mail Address

Lee Hughes (View posts)
Posted: 2 Sep 2000 7:36PM GMT
Hey, I forgot to give you my e-mail address. It's
hughes1@tombigbee.net.Thanks again Lee.

James Robertson or Allen Robertson

Posted: 3 Mar 2001 4:22PM GMT
Edited: 13 Jul 2003 10:29PM GMT
I have a James Robertson who married Mary Cartledge 1810 in Edgefield dist. S.C. Would you know who James's family is? Or is he related to Allen Robertson of the Baptist Church there in Edgefield? Thanks Darlene

James Robertson of Edgefield

Posted: 3 Mar 2001 4:38PM GMT
Edited: 2 Jul 2001 2:31PM GMT
Darlene, I don't know this one but there seems to have been a variety of Robertson origins in SC. There were Robertsons in very early Charleston. Robertson graves in the churchyard of First Scots Presbyterian, one of the city's oldest congregations. Then, there were the ones who came from Virginia to
North Carolina and down to upper S.C. in the 1780s. Among these was the James who began a big family on Keowee River in what is now Oconee County, SC. These migrated to Alabama, Texas and all over the West. It is a toss-up which of these origins -- and there may be others -- that James of Edgefield came from. Maybe some of the rest of the family can shed some light on this. Good luck -- Dot.

Re: James Robertson or Allen Robertson

Posted: 10 Jul 2011 4:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cartledge, Robertson
I am researching Elizabeth "Betsey" Cartledge who was married to a Robertson. They had a daughter Mary "Polly", who was born in 1813 in South Carolina. My group seems to have come from Edgefield to Choctaw County, MS.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions