Search for content in message boards

Carroll

Posted: 30 Sep 2012 9:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am trying to find out information about my fathers family who came from Bessbrook. Several Carrolls Patrick, Mary, Bernard and Daniel immigrated to NYC around 1905. But there were about 7 other siblings I believe that some of them were named Catherine, James, Annie, margaret, Lucy. They lived on Hill Street in Bessbrook. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Kevin Carroll
Posted: 1 Oct 2012 8:33PM GMT
You don't give any dates of birth, but I did find the following at the Ellis Island One Step Search Site:

Surname / First Name / Last Residence / Age / Birth Year / Emigration Year
================================================
Carrol, James Bessbrook, Ireland 23 1887 1910
Carroll, Bernard Bessbrook, England 26 1897 1923
Carroll, Daniel Bessbrook, Ireland 20 1900 1920
Carroll, Frank Bessbrook, Ireland 24 1889 1913
Carroll, Mary Bessbrook, Ireland 22 1889 1911

The record for Bernard shows his address as 31 Hill Street, Bessbrook; names his wife, Alice, as his next of kin at home. Bound for a friend, John Matthews, Hotel Majestic, New York.

Daniel gives his mother, Mrs. Carroll, Derrymine, Bessbrook, as his next of kin. Bound for his brother, James, in Chicago.

James names his father, William, Derryware(?) Bessbrook as his next of kin and he is bound for a friend, Jno. Costello in Chicago.

Frank (Francis) gives his father, William, of Derrymore(?), Bessbrook as his next of kin. Bound for a friend, Michael McAllister, Providence, Rhode Island.

Mary gives her mother, Mrs. A. Fitzgerald, 25 Hill Street, Bessbrook, as her next of kin. Bound for her husband, Daniel Carroll, in Chicago.

I think this is one of the families in the 1901 Irish Census:

Surname, Forename, Age, Sex, Relation to head, Religion

Carroll, William, 33, Male, Head of Family,Roman Catholic
Carroll, Anne, 33, Female, Wife, Roman Catholic
Carroll, James, 13, Male, Son, Roman Catholic
Carroll, Francis, 11, Male, Son, Roman Catholic
Carroll, William, 9, Male, Son, Roman Catholic
Carroll, Catherine, 7, Female, Daughter, Roman Catholic
Carroll, Bridget, 4, Female, Daughter, Roman Catholic
Carroll, Daniel, 2, Male, Son, Roman Catholic

The same family in 1911 census has additional children, Edward, Patrick, Mary, Vincent.

Not really sure how or where Bernard fits in.

Re: Carroll

Posted: 2 Oct 2012 12:04AM GMT
Oh God Thank you so much!!! Daniel Carroll Bernard Carroll, James Carroll are all my grandfathers family, MAry Fitzgerald is my cousins grandmother. James did go to Chicago first. The only thing that is a little different is that it says his father was William, Daniels marriage certificate from the Roman Catholic Chapel in Newry said his father was James Carroll. My grandfather was Patrick who came to Philadephia one year before Daniel. Eilleen How did you find all this stuff out? My Carroll cousins have been struggling to find out about the family because the brothers were estranged from one another and so we became so as well. They did live at 31 Hill Street formerly Quarry Row. Do you have any other information I can share with family? Kevin Carroll

Posted: 2 Oct 2012 12:08AM GMT
Eillen the family that you show with William and Anne has the father and mother is a different carroll family. Our grandfathers family is listed in Bessbrook in the 1901 and 1911 census but the father is Patrick and the mother is Maryianne. Kevin Carroll

Posted: 2 Oct 2012 1:48AM GMT
is this the family.

Residents of a house 31 in Quarry Row (Camlough, Armagh)
Show all informationSurname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses Years Married Children Born Children Living
Carroll Patrick 45 Male Head of Family R Catholic Co Armagh Bardler Yarn in Linen Mill Read and write - Married - - - -
Carroll Mary 45 Female Wife R Catholic Co Armagh - Read and write - Married - 25 10 10
Carroll Mary 20 Female Daughter R Catholic Co Armagh Winder in Linen Mill Read and write - Single - - - -
Carroll Lucey 18 Female Daughter R Catholic Co Armagh Winder in Linen Mill Read and write - Single - - - -
Carroll Benard 15 Male Son R Catholic Co Armagh Winder Labourer in Linen Mill Read and write - Single - - - -
Carroll Margert 13 Female Daughter R Catholic Co Armagh Halftime Weaver and Halftime Scholar Read and write - Single - - - -
Carroll James 11 Male Son R Catholic Co Armagh Scholar Read and write Irish and English Single - - - -
Carroll Catherine 9 Female Daughter R Catholic Co Armagh Scholar Read and write - Single - - - -
Carroll Annie 7 Female Daughter R Catholic Co Armagh Scholar Read and write - Single - - - -
Carroll Gertrude 4 Female Daughter R Catholic Co Armagh - Cannot read - Single - - - -

Posted: 2 Oct 2012 6:45AM GMT
Yes! That is the family. Bernard and Mary came to NY. Two others Patrick and Daniel had already left for NY by the time of that census. Any idea what happened with the other siblings? The descendants of Patrick, Daniel, James , we have tried to find out without any luck. Do you have any information on the siblings? Any info would be appreciated. Kevin Carroll

Posted: 29 Jan 2013 2:08PM GMT
HI, The Carroll family at 31 Quarry Row in Bessbrook is my granfathers. I have been able to trace and recoonect with the Families of Bernard, Mary, James, Patrick and Daniel who all immigrated to the US. Patrick and Daniel had already immigrated by the time of the 1911 census. I have found nothing on Gertrude, Annie, Catherine, Margaret or Lucy. Do you have any information on them? Also curious to find the siblings of Great Grandfather Patrick. Do you have any information on him? Kevin Carroll Hartford CT
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions