Search for content in message boards

The Moore family from County Armagh

The Moore family from County Armagh

Posted: 13 Oct 2012 7:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for the parents of my great-grandmother Frances Anna Moore. I know that she grew up in county Armagh and went to school there. I also know that her grandfather was a presbyterian minister, she was also a presbyterian. I know that she spent some time in Dublin before she came to America and that she also spent some time in New York City with friends before she went to Indiana to marry my grandfather William Williamson. Both in Dublin and in New York City she was a sales lady in a department store. I believe she had siblings named Eliza, Mary(who I think married someone named Cummings), George and John. Any information on Frances, her parents, ancestors, or what happened to any of her siblings would be appreciated.

Re: The Moore family from County Armagh

Posted: 14 Oct 2012 6:29PM GMT

Record Type Civil Marriage
Date of Marriage 24 Jun 1896
Groom Name robert CUMMING
Bride Name mary elizabeth MOORE
Church Knappagh Presbyterian Church
Parish Eglish
Civil District Armagh
County Armagh

Posted: 15 Oct 2012 7:39PM GMT
Thank you for this information. I think, after going thru some correspondence to my great-grandmother, Elizabeth may have been her cousin (as that is how she signs her letters). Do you have any ancestor information on Elizabeth, such as who was her mother, father, grandmother, grandfather, any siblings.
Again, thank you for this additional information.

Posted: 15 Oct 2012 7:57PM GMT
You don't give any dates for Frances, but did find a couple that match in the 1910 Census in Martinsville, Indiana with Frances A. Williamson, aged 64(?) and William, aged 67, having been married 37 years. Children are Georgie, John, Fannie and Walter. Indicates that Frances immigrated in 1872.

William and Frances were married 24 July 1872 in Morgan County, Indiana. The church record (if one exists) may provide additional information about her family. Also, 1872 is the date given as her immigration date fairly consistently through the census records, so wonder how long she would have been in New York, or perhaps she came to the US specifically to marry William.

Posted: 15 Oct 2012 9:26PM GMT
Surnames: Moore and Williamson
This is the Frances (and William) that are my grandparents. I have all the information for them once they got to Indiana from family records and ancestry.com. I was hoping to find more information on them and their lives in Northern Ireland. Frances was born in County Armagh on October 31, 1849 but I cannot find any record of her parents or grandparents. William was born October 1, 1844 in County Tyrone, I know he had a brother Wilson but again I don't know his parents or grandparents.
Thank you for your help, if you have any information about their life in Northern Ireland or any of their relatives there I would appreciate it.

Posted: 16 Oct 2012 1:35PM GMT
Unfortunately, the official recordkeeping for births did not occur in Ireland until 1864. Marriages began in 1845. You will need to figure out from which parish they were from and search through the relevant parish records.

You may find that they came from the same place -- Co. Armagh and Co. Tyrone border each other, and as is the case in my own research, because they lived close to the border, the parish records for them exist in both places; ie, baptized in one church in Co. Armagh and married in another in Co. Tyrone, but they never moved.

The 1870 census shows Wilson living with his wife and children, along with William and also a Margaret, aged 37, who is likely another sibling.

Posted: 10 Jun 2013 9:57PM GMT
Surnames: Moore, Cumming
George Moore b abt 1805 d 14 May 1870 ( peritonitis) from the townland of Foyarr Armagh, Eliza Jane Moore, present at death. His wife was Fanny Moore d 20 March 1904 aged 93!Mary elizabeth Moore/Cummings ( daughter) present at death...Mary married Robert Cummings married Mary eliz Moore on 20th June 1896 and they had one son There are no Moores currently living in Foyarr today.
Children of George and Fanny:
Eliza Jane b 23 Sep 1841, Esther 19 Aug 1843, Fanny Ann feb19 184? John 24 July1845/8 George 26 June 1850 Mary elizabeth 30 Nov 1857...these could be baptism dates and not dates of birth... my Moore's are also from Foyarr, the locals are suggesting that my Joseph Moore and George Moore were cousins!

Posted: 11 Jun 2013 12:42PM GMT
forgot to say that Fanny ( Mum of your Fanny who married Mr williamson))is on the 1901 census for Foyarr, Armagh Ireland
www.census.nationalarchives.ie enter Fanny Moore with the townland of Foyarr. Click on to to see who else is living in Foyarr and @ no 2 you will see Bella Oliver my great great granny! Fanny Moore and Annie Moore lived next door to each other
per page

Find a board about a specific topic