Search for content in message boards

St. Andrews Presbyterian Church/Dundas County records

St. Andrews Presbyterian Church/Dundas County records

Posted: 18 Jul 2011 2:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
My ancestors were once in Mountain Township, Dundas County, Eastern District, Upper Canada. I believe this to be present-day Dundas Co., Ontario, Canada. I would like confirmation that these two locations are one-and-the-same. And should I be narrowing in on a certain township or village?
Also, I am trying to locate St. Andrews Presbyterian Church in this county. Is there an on-line contact person? Or on-line records?
As well, are very early records (land, marriage, wills, etc.) for this area kept in a central location?
Thanking you in advance for any help.

Re: St. Andrews Presbyterian Church/Dundas County records

Posted: 20 Jul 2011 1:32AM GMT
Mountain Township is now an amalgamated township in what is now known as North Dundas Township, Dundas County, Ontario, Canada. As for your St Andrews Presbyterian Church, the only one in that denomination is located at 34 Mill St.,
Chesterville, Ontario. Many of these records can be located through Ancestry.ca but you could also try contacting the church (if in fact this is the correct one you are looking for) at (613)448-1304. If you could narrow your search down to a specific village it might help as well as people didn't tend to drive very far to attend church. What families are you looking for info on as I have many branches in this area?

Teresa

Posted: 20 Jul 2011 2:53AM GMT
An overwhelming "thank you" for your generous offer. Unfortunately, we're talking a long while before the era of driving a motor vehicle. That is why I am trying to find out the corresponding current locale to the historical one that I provided. I am looking for marriage records of any Stanton family member in the years from 1830 through 1840s. After years of research, I believe I am finally zeroing in on the ancestry. I just don't want to waste anyone's time until I know I have the right location.
Thanks again so much.

Posted: 20 Jul 2011 2:07PM GMT
You are very welcome. For help in figuring out what municipalities there were/are in Dundas County, try this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dundas_County,_Ontario

It may help at least in finding a possible starting point, as it lists many of the villages within each township as well.
Good luck, Teresa

Posted: 20 Jul 2011 2:55PM GMT
After following a few Wiki links, I believe they were in the Mountain community of North Dundas township, Ontario. When my ancestors were married in the late 1830s, he stated that he was from "Mountain." We do know they were in the vicinity of what is now North Dundas twp. Maybe if I knew how to contact a local historical society (or even a regional one), someone there might be able to help. And I still am looking for church records.
Thank you.

Posted: 20 Jul 2011 4:23PM GMT
Well it just so happens that I live just outside of Mountain Twp and was born and raised in the area. Majority of my Mother's family is from Dundas Co as well. There, unfortunately, is not a Genealogical society for the area any longer. I have been told that there are a majority of the former societies' records stored at the public library in Cornwall (of course you could probably find some local records at smaller area libraries too). I also have copies of the Marriage Registers of Upper Canada (1801-1865) & County Marriage Registers of Ontario (Stormont & Dundas 1858-1869) published by Global Heritage Press. If you like, I could do look ups for you.

Posted: 28 Jul 2011 1:53AM GMT
Dundas County originally consisted of 4 Townships.

1. Mountain Twp (north west)
2. Matilda Twp (South west)
3. Winchester Twp (North east)
4. Williamsburg Twp (South east)

In recent years they amalgamated the townships into basically North Dundas and South Dundas.

Just to name a few, Mountain Twp would have included the villages of Inkerman, South Mountain, and Hallville.

A lot of the old records have been transcribed. I do know of someone who might be able to help. Contact me if you'd like their e-mail address.

Shaun

Posted: 28 Jul 2011 2:02AM GMT
Here's a link to a website that has maps of Dundas County from the 1800s. It basically hadn't changed until recently.

Click on Dundas County from the list. Once the image appears you can actually click on "Mountain Twp" and it will zoom in showing you the entire area.

http://digital.library.mcgill.ca/countyatlas/SearchMapframes...

Posted: 3 Dec 2012 9:36PM GMT
This bit of info may be too late, but here goes anyway. There were Presbyterian churches located in both the community of "South Mountain" and the community that once was called "North Mountain" or just "Mountain". The church in South Mountain (I don't recall its name) has been closed for a number of years and converted to a private residence. I believe the church in the village of Mountain (Knox Presbyterian) still holds Sunday services.

Lynne Cooke a local genealogist and UEL descendant has amassed a large collection of information on Dundas Co. including various church records. Lynne lives in Morrisburg, Ont. and will let yu look through her library upon appointment. She has a web site where yu can get further information.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions