Search for content in message boards

Joseph Cummings /Cummins Ann Prentice Drumbee Co Armagh

Joseph Cummings /Cummins Ann Prentice Drumbee Co Armagh

Posted: 24 Oct 2012 1:16AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cummings
Looking for any information on Joseph Cummings born about early 1800's married Ann Prentice and lived in Drumbee Co Armagh in 1856 but may well have been born there. Would love to hear from anyone who is also researching this couple or their children born around late 1830's.

Re: Joseph Cummings /Cummins Ann Prentice Drumbee Co Armagh

Posted: 18 Nov 2012 1:58AM GMT
Not researching this family but there are resources you can find:

www.askaboutireland.ie Griffith Valuation

Thomas Prentice, Parish of Drumcree, DerryKerran Townland

1)William & 2)Hannah Cumming, same parish of Drumcree and 2)Drumcree Townland, and 1)Townland Corcrain

There is also a Thomas Prentice owning land - IN FEE -very rare - in the Parish of Grange, Mullnure.

RC or Protestant? There are Protestant marriages from 1845-1862 before civil registration in 1864.

There are two bmd websites in Armagh

www.emeraldancestors.com - free search - fee paying for records

An Irish History Foundation, fee paying even to search but
a really good source. There records for the area you are looking at are:
RC Drumcree(Portadown)baptism/births 1844-1900, 1863-1900 marriages same, deaths 1863-1900
Eglish 1862-1900 birth and marriage deaths 1877-1900

Church of Ireland
Has no birth records at all before civil registration 1864
marriages all dated the same 1845-1921

There are 11 Cummings in the british telephone book for armagh and although none live in Eglish, Kildarton then you probably should write to everyone. A map might be helpful.

There is only 1 Prentice in Armagh in Killylea and there was 1 Cummings in Killylea.

If Joseph had his own land (not owned) he would be in
the Tithe Applotments (1820-1839) just online other than Ancestry.

www.genealogy.nationalarchives.ie

There are early directories Pigots 1824 & Slaters 1846 on the website you might find them there but farmers don't show in directoris till at least 1881 & 1894.
www.failteromhat.com

Annette Code

Posted: 18 Nov 2012 5:38AM GMT
Thank you Annette for the web sites and time you spent compiling this information. I only had one of these sites so can now work my way down your list of others. My next problem is the spelling of the surname and as I have records which spell the town as Drumbay and Drumbee I really do need a map.
All good fun though. Thanks again
Lyn

Posted: 18 Nov 2012 5:40PM GMT
Lots of good online maps, especially google where you can walk down the street of some of these towns. Its cool. A couple of years ago you couldn't do this in Ireland. Names has changed a bit overtime, some changing from English to Irish after 1922 but probably not so much in Northern Ireland.

Annette
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions