Search for content in message boards

2014 Crashes

2014 Crashes

Posted: 11 Nov 2013 2:36AM GMT
Classification: Query
I installed FTM 2014 about one month ago (from the direct, online source; I also requested, and have received, the disk). The program crashes 80%-90% of the time I am using it. The information is save, thank goodness; but the frustrations of having to restart the program are very, very discouraging and are enough to cause me to not want to use the program as much as I would like to use it.
Are there suggestions for how to avoid the number of crashes?
Thank you!

Re: 2014 Crashes

Posted: 11 Nov 2013 3:32AM GMT
Suggest you keep a log of exactly where you were and what procedure you were performing at the time of each crash.

Did you compact after each crash?
You might have your virus or other software do scans for viruses and malware
You might restart your computer after a crash.

What type of crashes are you having? Freezes or lockups? The "FTM is not working" message? The "out of memory" message?

It is fortunate that FTM's file is pretty bulletproof. I average at least a crash a day and have for years. I've just learned to live with it. (Why can we build dishwashers that work, but not personal computers?)

Posted: 11 Nov 2013 4:20PM GMT
I am getting crashes in FTM2014 every time I try and use the Copy/Paste function for a fact (Windows 8.1)

Posted: 11 Nov 2013 4:24PM GMT
Likely crashes are the result of memory overuse. How much RAM do you have and which version of FTM 2014 are you using, 32 bit or 64? Although not admitted to by Ancestry, if your file is several thousand people you will need 8 GB RAM minimum with the 64 bit version. I don't use FTM 2014 for this reason. I don't have enough memory and can't afford another computer right now.
By the way this isn't an unusual occurrence. Similar threads stretch back several versions of FTM. Luckily, as you've noticed (and Silverfox, too), it's mostly irritating and not a data loss issue.

Posted: 11 Nov 2013 4:27PM GMT
This is with a small tree (460 people) , 64bit system, 6Gb Ram FTM2014 version 22.0.0.1243 (only installed yesterday).

Posted: 12 Nov 2013 3:58PM GMT
FTM2014 also crashes for me; even with a totally new 8 person tree with no media. I too have a 64bit system, 6Gb Ram, and FTM2014 version 22.0.0.1243.9. This small tree crashes whenever I try to create a Family Group Sheet (FGS) from the report menu. I called for technical help and they didn't seem to know about needing 8GB Ram. If this is indeed the problem then the memory requirements need to be advertised and the technicians need to be so advised. Thank you for your post, I have spent almost a week trying to solve this problem!

Posted: 12 Nov 2013 4:59PM GMT
I just check this out.
On a family with 15 children the FGS was displayed in less than 5 seconds.
This is on a Windows 7, 64 Bit, 8 GB RAM. FTM version 22.0.0.1243

Where did you get the ".9" in your version.

I think you have issues with your machine, which could include your AV, Firewall or any other "Protection" settings.

Posted: 14 Nov 2013 4:30AM GMT
Keeping a log is a good idea, although I fear I would be spending more time tracking the crashes than I would be actually using FTM! Most of the crashes come when I am copying-and-pasting, for example into the Notes section of an individual. Luckily, none of the information I entered before the crashes was lost.
I have compacted several times, and each time I have ‘saved’ 4-8% of space. One crash occurred immediately after I compacted.
I am using Kaspersky anti-virus software and am very satisfied with it.
Thank you for your input and for your time and effort!

Posted: 14 Nov 2013 4:31AM GMT
Most of the crashes come when I am copying-and-pasting, for example into the Notes section of an individual. Luckily, none of the information I entered before the crashes was lost.

Thank you for responding and for your time and effort!

Posted: 14 Nov 2013 4:36AM GMT
THE FTM version is 22.0.0.243. I don’t know whether that is the 32 or 64 version. In fact, I am not sure how much RAM I have on my computer. I am not computer savvy enough to know those about things. I use an external drive to store all of my FTM information.
You are right in saying that this not being a data-loss issue is lucky. I would have to wipe out the thousands of people and places I have stored in FTM.
Thank you for your input and for your time and effort!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions