Search for content in message boards

Researching name ALLEN

Researching name ALLEN

Posted: 28 Oct 2012 5:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Oct 2012 8:35PM GMT
My GG Grandfather William Allen came to Canada from Armagh, Ireland. He was born in 1839. The confusion is his parents, I was told their names were William & Margaret. When I researched my GGG Grandfather & found his Marriage transcript for Ontario Canada, it states his parents were Patrick & Jane. His 4 of 5 brothers & 2 of 3 sisters came to Canada, their marriage transcripts for Ontario also state the same as William's. His brothers were Henry, Samuel, Thomas, John & Mark (he came later with his wife Elizabeth McBride & children). William's sisters were Lucinda, Ellen & Margaret (she stayed in Ireland).

Re: Researching name ALLEN

Posted: 18 Nov 2012 12:53AM GMT
Tracing women is next to impossible unless they are Protestant and you can find an early marriage as C of Ireland
marriage records date from 1845-1862. RC no civil marriages
before 1864, although you can find Parish records on line.

There are 5 Margaret Allen marriages from 1850-1860 and no father William or Patrick. No Mark Allen marriage.

There are two online birth and marriage searches

www.emeraldancestors.com free to view/pay for a record
2 marriages for Mark Allen 1866 & 1882 but no Elizabeth
also 2 Samuel Allen's 1830 & 1848 but in Antrim not Armagh. The following source could be better:

An Irish History Foundation. A not for profit but fee paying. If records go back far enough
you can search by names and age/year born +/-

Go for the unusual names first like Henry, Samuel or even
Thomas, definitely Mark (rarely seen this early)
His sisters go for Lucinda and many Ellen's/Helen and especially Margaret is very common.

Some parish records don't start till civil registration in 1864, seems a lot of destroyed records there however, after
doing some cross matching between Allen's and McBride's I came up with a matching Parish. That is the Parish of
Armagh, and common townland which is probably the best match.
Armagh City, Charter School Lane, Townlands

Parish of Armagh, Town of Armagh and County of Armagh.

There are only 2 McBride's in 1862 and 9 Allen's living in that Parish (no Mark) as he has probably left by then.

The Parish of Armagh does have existing records, baptisms
from 1796-1900 and marriages 1802-1810, 1816-1823,1835-1900.

There are 40 Allen's in the current telephone book for Armagh, you could try searching through these. You could try matching them up to the census and see if you can find
a place you can separate so you could write to the Allen's there. There are only 12 McBride's so you might want to
try from that direction most are initials only which is annoying but there is a Samuel. Names run down through
decades in Irish families. An example would be:

William's siblings 8 names, each would have their own
families and name their children after their grandfather
and father and brothers and sisters, including his sister. My husband's family where we can only get back to 1813 has a William in everyone of his 13 children's, children and even today is a child of one of his grandchildren is name William.

I can't think of anything else that might help your search.
If you want to be contact you should make sure you keep your email address updated on rootsweb as if it takes awhile you need to have an address that works. I see so
many where someone tries to make contact 2-5 years later but
the contact is never answered.

Annette Code

Posted: 18 Nov 2012 1:18PM GMT
Thank you for your reply. I'll look into it. This is very helpful.

Posted: 3 Feb 2013 4:22PM GMT
Hi Annette,

That website you gave me was very helpful, I was able to get Mark's marriage. I also tried another website www.rootsireland.ie/, it gave me the same results.

Thank you again for your assistance.

Cathy

Posted: 3 Feb 2013 6:23PM GMT
Excellent.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions