Cabrey (Carberry/Carbery/Cabrey/Cabry) & Nicholson; Lurgan, Armagh

Cabrey (Carberry/Carbery/Cabrey/Cabry) & Nicholson; Lurgan, Armagh

Posted: 31 Oct 2012 1:05AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 31 Oct 2012 1:07AM GMT
Surnames: Cabrey/Carberry/Nicholson/Toal/Hynes/Hynds/McCrory
Looking for anyone who may be related to my Nicholson & Cabrey family lines;
My Cabrey/Carberry (and variants) line: From Kinnegoe, Lurgan, Armagh:
Source: Shankill Roman Catholic Church baptisms 1840 – 1880.
8th April 1856, Catherine of James Carbery and Anne Tole. Address: Kinigo. Sponsors: Joseph Toner and Margaret Cahey.
28th July 1857, Mary of James Cabrey and Anne Tole. Address: Kinigo. Sponsors: Francis Drum and Mary Dennison.
29th June 1859, Richard of James Cabrey and Anne Tole. Address: Kinigo. Sponsors: Bernard Toner and Mary Cabrey.
27th Sept 1861, Jane of James Cabry and Anne Toale. Address: Kinigo. Sponsors: Joseph Cabry and Jane Cabry.
14th Dec 1863, Jos of James Cabrey and Anne Tole. Address: Kinigo. Sponsors: Bernd Cabry and Mary Dennison.
14th Feb 1880, Annie of James Cabrey and Anne Tole. Address: Kinigo. Sponsor: Mary Toner.

Source: Lurgan civil birth registers 1864 – 1921.
22nd Nov 1866, James of James Cabrey, a weaver and Anne Tole. Address: Kinnegoe, Seagoe.
5th Jan 1869, John of James Cabrey, a weaver and Anne Tole. Address: Kinnegoe, Seagoe.
28th March 1871, Bernard of James Cabrey, a weaver and Anne Toole. Address: Kinnegoe, Seagoe.
9th June 1872, Teresa of James Cabrey, a weaver and Anne Toal. Address: Kinnegoe, Seagoe.
10th April 1875, Thomas of James Cabrey, a weaver and Anne Tole. Address: Kinnegoe, Seagoe.
29th March 1877, William of James Cabrey, a weaver and Anne Toal. Address: Kinnegoe, Shankill.

Criteria: Marriage of Joseph Carberry’s parents.
30th May 1855, Shankill Roman Catholic Church.
James Cabry married Anne Tole.
Witnesses: John Dennison and Cath Ferris.
(No further information recorded on marriage record).

Criteria: Baptism of Joseph Carberry’s father and 2 siblings.
Source: Shankill Roman Catholic Church baptisms 1822 – 1850.
3rd June 1823, Joseph of Richard Cabry and Cath McCrory. Sponsors: Charles Haney and Maria Gribbon.
22th Jan 1826, Cath of Richard Cabry and Cath McCrory. Address: Kinigo. Sponsors: Owen McCaghaley and Mary Smyth.
17th November 1828, James of Richard Cabry and Catherine McCrory. Sponsors: James Sloane and Fanny McCagheley.

It is likely there were older children to this family however the Church records only commence in 1822.
-----
Joseph A. Cabrey on this list (1863) is my Great Great Grandfather.
-----

My Nicholson line:
Mary Ann Nicholson b. abt 1865/1866 in Lurgan, Armagh
Daughter of James Nicholson & Anne Hynes/Hynds
--
Mary Ann Nicholson is my Great Great Grandmother;
She and Joseph A. Cabrey married in Shankill Roman Catholic Church, Lurgan, Armagh, on June 8, 1884 and emmigrated to Massachusetts, USA the same year.
----
Thanks
Renee B.
LadyAlaise@gmail.com

Re: Cabrey (Carberry/Carbery/Cabrey/Cabry) & Nicholson; Lurgan, Armagh

Posted: 17 Nov 2012 11:52PM GMT
There are 2 Carberry's listed in the british telephone directory for Derrynoos, Armagh. Also 2 Carbery; 7 Nicholson's in Armagh County, no Cabrey or other spellings
full addresses with postal codes, you could try writing them with the details of the families you have traced.

There are two sources for Northern Ireland birth/baptism, marriages:

www.emeraldancestors.com free to view, pay for a record

and an Irish History Foundation fee based only, they have Lurgan (Shankhill) listed with births from 1822-1900, marriages same, and deaths 1825-1900
Derrynoose (Keady) b 1814-1819, 1823-1830, 1832-1837,1846-1900 marriages 1808-1814, 1823-1833, 1846-1900 and deaths 1823-1851

Griffith Valuation (census substitute 1862) www.askaboutireland.ie (landlord,property description)
or www.failteromhat.com (simplified)

Tithes (census substitute 1820-1839)
www.genealogy.nationalarchives.ie (new)
also available on Ancestry and at PRONI, NI

Census: 1901/1911

www.census.nationalarchives.ie

Annette Code

Posted: 11 Jan 2013 2:23PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jan 2013 5:18PM GMT
Surnames: Cabry Cabrey Carbery Carberry
Hi Renee
My grandfather was Thomas born in 1875. James Cabry and Anne Toal are my great grandparents. Thomas moved over here to Scotland where he died at 81. He had a very large family. The family spelling varies here from Thomas's initial Cabrey to Carberry and Carbery. I always thought that there was a whole family history to be found in Ireland but this has exceeded my expectation. Does anyone know if there is a family grave for my great grandparents at the Shankill Church? Does anyone know of a family tree?

Tom C

Posted: 14 Jan 2013 11:14PM GMT
Surnames: Carberry, Carbery, Cabry, Cabrey, McCrory, Toal
Hello cousin Tom! :)
Nice to meet you!
I have been in touch with a distant cousin who lives in Lurgan, and thus far it does not appear that a Gravestone of our ancestors James & Anne survived.
As for a family tree as far I know the tree only goes up to Richard Carbery & Catherine McCrory, James's parents.
Tracking down the siblings of Joseph & Thomas has been very difficult, partly due to the spelling variations of the family name, and partly due to it appears that a majority of Joseph's & Thomas's siblings emmigrated out of Lurgan.
You are the first cousin who comes from any of Joseph's siblings to make contact! :)
Please email me :) I have many more snippetts of information I would love to share with you, as well as a few mystery names from family stories that I still can't make clear, just in case your side may be firmiliar with some of them... :) I don't unfortunately have a photo of Joseph, but do have photos of two of his children.
This is wonderful!
I was so excited when I read your response!
Cousin Renee
LadyAlaise@gmail.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions