Search for content in message boards

Alexander Rogers 1802

Alexander Rogers 1802

Posted: 1 Nov 2012 8:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Rogers - McAtersney
Help required, My Alexander Rogers as far as I am aware was born in Eglish Armagh County Armagh Northern Ireland. He was married to a Catherine McAtersney 0n the 12/2/1827 in the parish of Tartaraghan at the time of marriage they were both living in Gallrock. I have visited the church in 2009 and found there entry in the church registry. That was the only entry i found, which was one of the first entries.

Re: Alexander Rogers 1802

Posted: 17 Nov 2012 10:43PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Nov 2012 11:35PM GMT
When you were visiting did you call any Rogers in the phone book? If not you could write to them as there are two listed for Armagh in the british telephone book. No McAtersney, this could be due to spelling as telephone books are spelling specific. Addresses come with a postal code.

The resources I have searched there is no spelling as given or even an alternative offered. I looked through all
the townlands in the Parish of Tartaraghan and the closest
possibility was a spelling of McAneny!

The Griffith Valuation (now used as a census substitute) of Armagh turns up 5 Alex/Alexander's one being in the right parish and townland:

Alexander Rogers, Parish of Tartaraghan, Townland of Gallrock, tenant of Michael Finn

1EBc a house

In the Townland of Eglish are also:

3AB William Rogers (sen)

4AB Walter Rogers

5AB Christopher Rogers

10 William Rogers (ju)

you can look these up on www.askaboutireland.ie

Directories of Ireland, Madde, Bassetts Book of Co. Armagh 1888 has an Alexander Rogers, Madden listed but my view
isn't working so I can't tell you his occupation. You could remind me in a week or two and see if I've been able to get it working. www.failteromhat.com 1823 & 1846 Directories

The Tithe Applotments a census substitute for the years
1820-1839:

www.genealogy.nationalarchives.ie

Census 1901/11

www.census.nationalarchives.ie

A civil registration for Church of Ireland marriages 1845-1862:

Elizabeth Rogers m Robert McCord, 25 July 1854 Tartaraghan
fa: John Rogers/John McCord

Henry Rogers m Matilda Woods age 17 23 Aug 1855 Tartaraghan
Fa: William Rogers/Loftus Woods

Jane Rogers m John Hughes 1 Mar 1860 Tartaraghan
Fa: Christopher Mo: Samuel Hughes

The folowing is the first child with a father Alexander but spelled as Rodgers

Ellen Rodgers m. Robert Dougas Tynan, Armagh 19 Mar 1862
fa: Alexander Rodgers/fa: David Dougan

I think because of the dates this may be Alexander's 1802's son. His children would be ready for marriage about 25 years from birth so about 1862+

Always in searching Ireland and can't locate anything look for alternatives in spellings. I have seen up to three spellings for one family on one single gravestone. Its just too bad the parish records have not survived another thing
fairly normal in Ireland.

There are in 1911 73 individual Rogers living in Armagh but no one left with the name Alexander they may have moved or emigrated? There are in the 1901 several from Eglish.

1901 Census:

80 Cloncore (Tartaraghan)
Alexander Rogers,50 shoemaker, married

Mary Tynason 40 sister, linen weaver married
Sarah Tynason 13 neice, linen weaver

There are 7 other Rogers in Tartaraghan in 1901 and 11 in 1901. Still no McAtersney.

Annette Code
per page

Find a board about a specific topic