Search for content in message boards

Singleton Franklin

Singleton Franklin

Posted: 2 Sep 2002 3:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Mar 2004 1:28PM GMT
Surnames: Franklin
I've just discovered Singleton Franklin in the 1820, 1830, 1840 Census for Hancock County might be the father of Lucius C. Franklin who married Betsy Jinks.

The 1840 census enumerator wrote:
"refused to give his family".
Has anyone ever run across that before? Wondered what sort of reasoning might have been behind that!

Would like to find out more about this Franklin family.
They were in Capt Mason's District (Delta District) in 1820.

Re: Singleton Franklin

Posted: 9 Sep 2002 1:27AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Oct 2002 12:33AM GMT
Hi, Virginia, I just wrote you from the Attala Co, MS, board. Singleton Franklin is my 4g-great-grandfather. I found that same entry, figured he was ornery. I have not been able to find a single trace of him or his family anywhere in GA, or in MS to which they moved, in 1850 census records. Also checked AL, in case they stopped on the way to MS. I wonder if he did more than refuse to give details -- if he made sure he wasn't even counted, perhaps by moving or being completely unavailable when the 1850 census was taken. He and son L.C. each show up in the 1860 federal census in MS.

Would appreciate hearing if anyone has any other type of record that might show Singleton Franklin in GA between 1840 and 1860? Like tax rolls or law suits?

Thanks. --Diana
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions