Search for content in message boards

Margaret Richardson b. 1841 Armagh, Timothy Cooney

Margaret Richardson b. 1841 Armagh, Timothy Cooney

Posted: 2 Dec 2012 4:21AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Richardson, Cooney
She m. Timothy Cooney and had several children, one born in Gort, Galway. Both parents died early and the children emigrated to Chicago. Need any info on either parent. Thanks.

Re: Margaret Richardson b. 1841 Armagh, Timothy Cooney

Posted: 3 Dec 2012 4:53PM GMT
From Ancestry.com:

Name: Timothy Cooney
Birth Date: 25 Jun 1864
Birth Place: Dripsey, Cork, Ireland
Father's Name: Timothy Cooney
Mother's Name: Margaret Richardson
FHL Film Number: 101094

Name: Margaret Cooney
Birth Date: 26 Sep 1866
Birth Place: Dripsey, Cork, Ireland
Baptism Place: Dripsey, Cork, Ireland
Father's Name: Timothy Cooney
Mother's Name: Margaret Richardson
FHL Film Number: 101139

This would seem to suggest that they were married around 1860; however, I can find no entry in the civil registrations. Why do you think she was born in Co. Armagh?

An interesting piece on the Cooney's in Dripsey:

http://archive.corkindependent.com/history/history/in-the--f...

Posted: 4 Dec 2012 2:56AM GMT
Surnames: Richardson, Cooney
Quite interesting article! Thank you for sending.
Yes those you list are two of several children born to them. And that puts the birth time for parents about 1840. The only Mgt. Richardson in that generation that I could find is the one born in Armagh. Also, seems the Richardson surname abounds in that region. Could be wrong too, time will tell in unraveling this mystery.

Posted: 4 Dec 2012 1:34PM GMT
I would leave Margaret's birthplace as a question mark for now as civil registration for births did not begin until 1864 and marriages in 1845, so it is unlikely you would find a birth record for Margaret in the spotty parish records that are online. However, you should be able to find a civil marriage record for them unless the two children I found were the last of the litter and the marriage occurred before 1845.

Posted: 5 Dec 2012 10:00PM GMT
Edited: 5 Dec 2012 10:01PM GMT
Surnames: Richardson, Cooney 1841
I am wondering if they were victims of the famine, as they seem to have vanished. Only Mgt Richardson of the 1841 age was the one in Armagh.
How does one find any trace of famine victims?
More importantly, WHY did the survivors never speak of the famine to their children?!? My own grandparents emigrated to USA around 1897. Never a word of the famine among all the offspring, my cousins!
Is there any explanation for this?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions