Search for content in message boards

FTM and Windows 8.1

FTM and Windows 8.1

Posted: 22 Nov 2013 1:57AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am using FTM version 11 and what version will work with Windows 8.1? Will the ver 11 files work with the newer version of FTM?

Re: FTM and Windows 8.1

Posted: 22 Nov 2013 2:39AM GMT
Edited: 22 Nov 2013 2:39AM GMT
Are you asking about version 11 that is many years older than 2011?
There is a difference.

Also do you have a 32 or 64 bit Windows 8.1 machine?

Posted: 22 Nov 2013 3:21AM GMT
Sorry, I am using version 11.

Using Windows 8.1 64bit.

Any version that will work for me?

Posted: 22 Nov 2013 12:08PM GMT
FTM 2014 is the first version of FTM to fully support 64 bit computers. It will be able to read your Version 11 file and convert it to FTM 2014 format.

You should compress your FTM 11 file and run file checker before converting. Fixing any errors before converting may prevent problems with the conversion. Also have a backup of your FTM 11 file in a safe place before converting. It never hurts to protect yourself.

You will have a learning curve. Starting with FTM 2008 the user interface to FTM changed.

Curt

Posted: 22 Nov 2013 1:57PM GMT
I would like to add to the interface problem. You may have read all of the groans about the interface, and it is significantly different from the old pre version 16 interface.

And YES there is a learning curve, but once you start working with the new interface, you will wonder why there was such a fuss. It is quite intuitive and ease to navigate.

My only wish is that I could have more windows open to different people in the database. Different windows open so I could compare John Doe and James Smith at simultaneously

Posted: 22 Nov 2013 6:11PM GMT
I just downloaded Family Tree Maker 2014 and when I try to run the install I get the message, that version will not run on my PC.

Posted: 22 Nov 2013 6:25PM GMT
keithnuttle comment

“My only wish is that I could have more windows open to different people in the database. Different windows open so I could compare John Doe and James Smith at simultaneously”

First of all, I agree with you, I would like to have more windows open at one time

Here are some a very kludgy, time consuming ways to do what you are saying

Assuming you have at least two monitors ---------I have three and I use these techniques

I run and save say a Register Report for John Doe

I then bring up the Register Report for John Doe on one of my screens

I then create a Register report for James Smith and bring it up on the second monitor

I then can scroll up or down on either monitor and make comparisons

Another way is to create a custom report that includes just John Doe and James Smith ------Include all the fact names in the report

Then you can bring up the report and review it

A third way is to port your Data Base to say Legacy and bring up your genealogy on the Legacy software on one screen and bring up your genealogy on the FTM software on the other screen.

You then can easily bring up various people/facts/information/reports and compare them

I use this third method quite frequently to help me sort out and fix things in FTM

They are all somewhat kludgy, but I have had to resort to them to do some of the things I want to do

Posted: 22 Nov 2013 6:52PM GMT
Jack Edmunds ,
Is this a real PC or are you on a tablet like or a mini running the "RT" version of Windows 8?

If it is the RT, then NO standard Windows program for a Windows PC will run on this machine.

Spec's of the machine will help further.

Posted: 22 Nov 2013 9:21PM GMT
I just got it figured out. Apparently Firefox if not the favorite browser for downloading the file. I quit using IE Explorer quite some time ago and had to resort to using it for this download.

Thanks very much!!!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions