Search for content in message boards

Burrells in Derryadd, Co. Armagh. 1870s on

Burrells in Derryadd, Co. Armagh. 1870s on

Posted: 9 Jan 2013 3:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
My great grandfather's brother John Burrell moved to Ireland in the 1870s. He was born in 1849 in Dalkeith, Midlothian, Scotland. He married Margaret Abraham in 1875 and set up home in Derryadd. They had 8 children: David, Hannah Jane, Maria, William, Edward, Frank, John, Robert.

David married and had at least two children one of whom was known as Gladys and who may have died in 1995. This is all the information I have on this family.

Hannah Jane married an Andrew Wright. Hannah may have died in 1971 in Hemsworth, Yorkshire. This is all the information I have on this family.

I have no information on Matilda.

William married and had at least one child. This is all the information I have on this family.

Edward (b 1876, Derryadd) married a Matilda and had at least one girl and two boys called John (b 1905) and Edward (b 1907). This is all the information I have on this family.

I have no information on Frank (b 1880, Derryadd).

John (b 1883, Derryadd) married Adelaide Hickland (b 1886, Portadown) in Massachusetts, USA around 1910. They had 5 children: Irene (b 1912, NYC), John(b 1914, NYC), Leona(b 1916, NYC), Thomas (b 1917, NYC), and Stanley (b 1919, Enfield, MA). John died in Springfield, MA in 1952, Adelaide died in 1967. I have quite a lot of information on John's family.

I have no information on Robert (b 1888, Derryadd).

If anyone has any information relating to any of the above this would be gratefully received. Thanks.

Re: Burrells in Derryadd, Co. Armagh. 1870s on

Posted: 11 Jan 2013 4:24PM GMT
The 1920 census lists Florence 4 years 8 months born to Edward and Matilda. Florence's obituary is on line now as Florence Burrell Murdich of Dover, Delaware. It confirms that Matilda is Matilda Hickland. Matilda emigrated in 1902 with a Burrell paying passage. Edward had died by the 1940 census and Florence was still with her mother.

If Frank was born in 1880, he is undoubtedly the boy who died in 1883 near Lurgan.

David Burrill (note the spelling) is in the 1920 NY census with wife Minnie and daughter Gladys. As cousin George Abraham b 1897ish is with them, this is probably your David. Possibly this is George from an Annoliste family, but there is a second possibility in the area. Do you have Margaret's father's name?

Robert is probably Robert David b 1887 per the 1940 census with wife Minnie and children Gladys, Thomas, and Muriel, again in NYC. That is more of a guess than the others. I will look for immigration records.

Do you have any ties to Thomas Burrell who married Elizabeth Rowan?

Posted: 14 Jan 2013 1:14PM GMT
Thanks for the information it gave me a few good leads, still missing some. The Robert v David thing has me confused. Is there a David out there I need to find or not, I ask myself.

Margaret Abraham's parents were John and Ann Jane McMullen.

The Thomas Burrell you enquire about. Is that Robert's son? There are a fewc in my family tree but I have no spuse for any!! Please, have a look at my tree "The Burrell Family Tree" and see what you find. Do you have a connection?

Just need to find out more about the others.

Willie

Posted: 14 Jan 2013 9:45PM GMT
The naturalization records for Robert David Burrell say he is a chauffeur born in Derryadd 6-19-1887. He emigrated in 1908 (says 1906 elsewhere) on the Calendonia and had wife Minnie and children Gladys b 4-13-1917 and Thomas b 11-25-1920. One of his references is William T. Burrell, a policeman living at 319 11th Ave NYC.

Robert D. had daughter Muriel in about 1928.

WWII registration has Robert David born 9-16-1887 and working for the Knockerbocker Ice Co. He lived at E. 83rd with daughter Gladys.

In 1910 Edward and Matilda have son John and Edward and brothers John and Robert are living with him while they work for an ice company. Edward might own the company, but at least he is working for an ice business in 1920 and owns a company in 1910. Son John is with the family in 1925, but not in 1930.

I thought Edward's son John might have married Helen from Vermont, but probably Peter Burrell's son John married her. Peter is from Ireland, so the census won't prove anything and I did not look for a connection to your family.

William T. and Matilda Burrell live in the Queens, NYC in 1920 and had son William J. In 1942, son William registered for the war as a warrant officer with 4 years of college experience and was not married.

In your tree Robert David and David are very similar just as Alexander and James Alexander, Jr. sound almost alike. Probably they are the same people.

Matilda Hickland is in the 1901 Armagh census, daughter of John Hickland and Elizabeth Rock. She was not listed on your family tree, but the census Lily Simpson, granddau of John and Elizabeth, is undoubtedly the daughter of your tree's Annie and William George Simpson. John Hickland is then a brother to your James.

I can't find a birth or marriage location for Thomas Burrell b 1841 near Lurgan. He died in 1901 in Drumnakelly and also has a son David. Just curious. Thomas's children emigrated to work with my relatives in NY. There is a distant link through the Gilpin, Dilworth, Hart connections.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic