Search for content in message boards

Sarah Fletcher

Sarah Fletcher

Posted: 9 Jan 2013 8:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Fletcher/Morton
I am looking for information for Sara Fletcher who was born 1690 and the place of birth is confusing to me Antrim, Armag, Ireland who married John Morton who was bornn 1690 Gilford, Down, Ireland. She died 1724 at Chester, PA and he died 1774 Chester, PA. They had a son John Morton born 1724 Gilford, Down, Ireland and he died 1810 Menallen, Adams, PA. Any info would really be appreciated. Cindy

Re: Sarah Fletcher

Posted: 10 Feb 2013 5:54AM GMT
These dates are probably too early for most records in Ireland.

Found nothing for Armag in either Antrim or Armagh

Gilford, Down Gilford was a town in Co. Down in a Parish
Tullylish which was either in the Union of Banbridge or
of Lurgan.

Fletcher's in the Griffith Valuation in 1864 show up in
Shankill, Armagh in the Union of Lurgan and in the Parish of Seagoe in the Union of Lurgan.

A poor law Union and later civil registration district would cover an area of 12 miles from the town, if close to a border can cover 2 counties or even three in some cases but no more than the 12 mi. Counties Armagh and Down share a border with each other Down on the east coast and Armagh to the west.

Lurgan has RC baptism records from 1822; Seagoe from 1836 and only two Church of Ireland Parish's have baptism records
Parish Armagh from 1801-1822 and marriages from 1801-1822 and 1845-1921.

Irish Wills Index 1536-1858:

John Morton, Dogher Parish Shankill, Armagh Probate 1733

You should try the Registry of Deeds - google and look for rootsweb.

Annette Code

Posted: 10 Feb 2013 1:46PM GMT
Thank you. It is difficult for me to follow the towns that are listed because I do not think the descendants have listed them correctly in some cases.
Cindy

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 6:02AM GMT
I think Armag is probably Armagh, the pronunciation is almost the same and most people couldn't write and so spelt things
phonetically. Its just that Antrim is another county. I thought perhaps there was an Antrim village or town in Armagh but I couldn't find anything to support that notion.

Even by the census in 1901 you would be surprised how many people couldn't write. Catholics for a long time under British Rule were not allowed to go to school and the Protestant church was dominant and RC relagated to chapels.

Annette

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 5:56PM GMT
I found a little more information on this John Morton and Sarah Fletcher in the book Imigration of the Irish Quakers into PA, 1682-1750. They lived in New Garden, Chester County, PA. They had a dau Deborah. I believe other members of this family include James, Samuel, John Jr.,William. Quaker records are difficult to follow So I will continue to look but I have a feeling this is not family of Elizabeth Morton WAkefield that I am looking for! Thanks for answering my post.
Cindy

Posted: 13 Feb 2013 2:56AM GMT
The Society of Friends? records for Armagh are listed but
not till 1864 and civil registration according to the
History Foundation. I do know that all faiths were baptised in the Church of Ireland to a certain point in history. Even RC
if there was no church in the area, often burials in church yards had multiple religions.

I think there are Quaker records for Ireland but can't remember where I came across them.

You could try www.cyndislist.com who might have those resources listed. If not google. There are separate Jewish records as well not listed with the Foundation.

There are other websites but most are competition with ancestry/rootsweb.

Annette

Posted: 14 Feb 2013 1:13AM GMT
"John Morten Junr of Munallan meeting having before acquainted some friends of his Intentions of Marriage with Sarah ffletcher of Lisburn meeting: this day declared the same before this meeting, & upon examination & enquiry, nothing appearing to obstruct his further proceedings: John Neile & John Christie, are desired to make enquiry concerning his clearness orderly proceedings, consent of parents & relations concerned and return their answers to the next or that province meeting that the said John & Sarah presents to."

This is supposedly from the Quaker records of Lurgan and was transcribed on-line. The records are a wreck to go through. Hard to read and not in order. They sometimes have a listing of family members, when they died, and who attended whose marriage. The Mortons sound familiar, but Sarah was from Lisburn. Her parents won't be listed probably. I can hunt down the pages of the originals and e-mail them, but I hate to skim them for information.

Posted: 14 Feb 2013 2:08PM GMT
Surnames: Morton
Thanks for your reply and the information. Yes the Quaker records are difficult and I will be looking at some more for a few other family members-another branch Kerr-that I believe came to the same area and were also Irish Quakers. The records are difficult and you are right they do not contain the info you really want. That is one reason I am having trouble making a connection. I am down to 2 John Mortons at least in the same area. I can say that there is a Lurgan Township, Franklin County, PA! I have noticed the naming of new places based on old names. There is also a town Armagh in the area where I am looking.
I now have one John Morton a Quaker and one John Morton a Covenater as possible fathers to Elizabeth Morton.
Thanks for your help, Cindy

Posted: 15 Feb 2013 1:55AM GMT
Everyone has told me to try out rootschat-I did and the chat room is like a coffe shope with a lot of gossip! Are you on it and if so send me a message at fruitytooty.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions