Search for content in message boards

Wilson's, Campbells, Harrisons of Armagh and vicinity

Wilson's, Campbells, Harrisons of Armagh and vicinity

Posted: 18 Jan 2013 9:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wilson Campbell Harrison
Looking for information in Ireland on Rebecca Wilson (b~1778) and her 3 children (James (b~1818), Arthur (b~1825), and Rebecca (b-Oct 1826)who emigrated to Quebec Canada in June of 1832. Rebecca (the widowed mother) was originally married to a Campbell, then to James Wilson, and was accompanied to Canada by her (half?) brother who's last name was Harrison. Have found some information for them after they arrived in Canada but nothing before that. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Wilson's, Campbells, Harrisons of Armagh and vicinity

Posted: 10 Feb 2013 6:08AM GMT
There would be little in irish records for this early, even church records are few in Armagh. Protestant or RC would make a difference. Do you know the Parish?

If still in Ireland 1820-1839 you might find them in the
Tithe Applotments just on line with the National Archives.

www.genealogy.nationalarchives.ie with Parish & Townlands
Do you know Rebecca the mother's maiden names?

1827:
(No Harrison's, 2 Robert Wilson's Parish Shrule, and
34 Campbell's all in the Parish of Creggan

Two resources for birth records in Northern Ireland:

www.emeraldancestors.com free to view, pay for records
www.rootsireland.ie pay - not for profit

Parish Creggan is a Church of Ireland parish and has no birth records listed but Church of Ireland marriages from 1845-1921.

Annette Code

Posted: 11 Feb 2013 6:51PM GMT
Thanks for your reply Annette.

My Wilson ancestor's were Protestant, Church of Ireland.
I do not know the Parish, the only info I have is from my ggg fathers gravestone which says "Native of Armagh". He died in July 1895 at the age of 77 so that would make his birth date 1817 to 1818.
Because Rebecca Wilson (b~1778) came to Canada with her brother (or maybe half brother) whose last name was Harrison, then Harrison would be my best guess as to her maiden name.

Thanks for your other links. I will check them out.

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 4:42AM GMT
I have the church of Ireland Marriages but only for the years 1845-1862.
Ireland is a difficult place to search. You are fortunate
the gravestone records Armagh, so many just say Ireland.

Good luck. Annette

Posted: 4 Mar 2013 1:52AM GMT
If typical Irish naming conventions were followed for her offspring, then it's possible that Rebecca Wilson's maiden name was Somerville. If that is correct then Rebecca Somerville born about 1778 would have first married a Campbell, then later married James Wilson sometime before 1818. James, her second husband, died after 1825 but in/before 1832.

Posted: 4 Mar 2013 2:38AM GMT
I think it would be odd for a man born in 1817 to marry a woman 39 years his senior!!
Annette

Posted: 4 Mar 2013 6:58PM GMT
Sorry for the confusion. James Wilson was Rebecca's second husband and she and James had a son also named James Wilson born about 1817/18 (my gggrandfather). To make naming even more confusing, they also had a daughter named Rebecca (b 1826).

Posted: 4 Mar 2013 7:35PM GMT
Is this the right family in the 1851/52 Canadian Census:

Caledon, Peel County, Canada West

Body, Wm., cordwainer, born Ireland, Church of England, aged 31, married
Body, Rebecca, born Ireland, aged 26, married
Body, Mary A., born Canada, aged 3
Body, Wm., born Canada, aged 1
Wilson, Rebecca, born Ireland, aged 74, widow

Arthur is nearby, also in Caledon, with his wife, Margaret, and two-year-old daughter, Hannah.

Rebecca Boddy died in Toronto on 30 November 1912, aged 85 years, married, daughter of James Wilson & unnamed.

Posted: 4 Mar 2013 8:41PM GMT
Yes Eileen - that is my family. I used that information plus other information I researched to get back to Ireland with the query I posted on this board. By the way Rebecca Boddy (nee Wilson) died after being hit by a streetcar. She was a widow by 1912. The William Boddy age 1 in your note was William Wilson Boddy. Another son born 1853 was named James Somerville Boddy.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions