Search for content in message boards

O'Reilly/Reilly Henry

O'Reilly/Reilly Henry

Posted: 22 Jan 2013 7:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Jan 2013 7:29PM GMT
Searching for history/family members of a Henry O'Reilly who emigrated to Tecumseth, Simcoe County, Ontario, Canada around 1822. He was born in Armagh,Ireland Feb. 1st, 1797. He may have traveled with a brother "Francis" but not sure. Parents names may be William and Mary. Henry married a Bridget Grimes, and they had 6 children, John, James, Margaret, Anne/or Anna, Henry, and Mary.

Re: O'Reilly/Reilly Henry

Posted: 10 Feb 2013 2:36AM GMT
This is very early for records for Armagh

The Tithe Applotment is the only surviving record used as a census substitute. These are the only Reilly/OReilly's listed for Armagh.www.genealogy.nationalarchives.ie

Oreilly James, Parish Shrule, Townland Ledwithstown
Oreilly John, Parish Shrule, Townland Drynan

Reilly James, Parish Shrule, Townland Doonacurry
Reilly John, Parish Shrule, Townland Drynan

John is the most popular of Irish names with James just behind. Usually first son if not named after Henry he would be named after Henry's father. So a good guess would be John.

By the time of the Griffith Valuation (census substitute)
in 1864 the Parish of Shrule is not listed so probably has been amalgamated into another parish. Would need to look up the history.

Now there are 81 Reilly's occupying land, many names
www.askaboutireland.ie

The only Shrule is in the Tithe's, however, beside that is
in brackets and bold Armagh.

Back to an Irish History Foundation with baptism records
Parish Armagh has birth records RC from 1796-1900 marriages 1802-1810, 1816-18223, 1835-1900

Parish of Armagh, Cof I baptism records from 1801-1822, marriages same

There are two sources for baptism and marriages for Northern Ireland:
www.emeraldancestors.com free to view pay for a record

www.rootsireland.ie pay website but not for profit Foundation.

Annette Code

Posted: 10 Feb 2013 7:09PM GMT
Surnames: O'Reilly/Reilly Henry
Thank you Annette, You have given me a couple more areas to try. I too had made a guess that the Parish of Shrule, may be the area my ggggrandfather is originally from. I had examined the Tithe Applotment record also, but there were so many....I am supposed to be looking for a "William" but that may not be correct. I am just waiting on some family Bible info, from the USA that we stumbled upon........we had one Bible, but not the generation before it, nor knew one even existed till a short while ago.
You mentioned Irish History Foundation, and Parish Armagh has birth records RC from 1796-1900 marriages 1802-1810 etc.
Where can I access them? We know that Henry, Williams son, was born Feb 1st 1797.
Thanks again.

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 6:18AM GMT
www.rootsireland.ie is the website for the Foundation, it is a not for profit but payment is required, its a reasonable price a couple of Starbucks.

If you read about the foundation and its member counties you will see they have accessed every possible record from a variety of sources. If they don't have anything then there probably isn't anything to get.

William could have still been at home when the Tithe's were done they only list the head of household or holder of the lease, he probably wouldn't get his own land till he married.

I ended the search for my husband family in Wicklow at 1811 after 4 visits to Ireland. I did pick them up in Estate records for the area. Ireland is difficult at best.

www.irelandxo.com

www.landedestates.ie or local libraries for information on Estates in the area.

Annette
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions