Search for content in message boards

Family Tree Maker - hints not in sync with online ancestry tree?

Family Tree Maker - hints not in sync with online ancestry tree?

Posted: 26 Nov 2013 4:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Nov 2013 7:07PM GMT
Hello
I purchased Family Tree Maker 2014, the other day. So far, i'm somewhat disappointed, I expected an interface where i could zip around much more productively and quickly, but instead, its more cumbersome than using the ancestry.com interface!

That view might improve, but anyway, here's a question I have - why are the hints not in sync with the website? I'm seeing the leaf symbol on family members where i do not have them on the web - mainly other tree matches where i've long sorted that out. Does anyone know how to resolve that? If i've cleared the hints on the website, why should i then have to go through it on the desktop!

Thanks!

Re: Family Tree Maker - hints not in sync with online ancestry tree?

Posted: 26 Nov 2013 11:51PM GMT
First you did not state what you were using before FTM 2013, so we can not help there, with what the differences are. I do not know what your background is, so trying to define how to ZIP around is an unknown. Like any new program it does take a bit of time to learn the new system and find how to use it.

"If i've cleared the hints on the website, why should i then have to go through it on the desktop!"
As for the hints at Ancestry and within FTM, they are 2 different programs and there for the hints are controlled by each program.

"Does anyone know how to resolve that?"
You must treat them as two different programs and clear the hints in each.

Posted: 27 Nov 2013 2:12AM GMT
Thanks For the response. On the hints your assertion that I must treat them as two different programs is surely patently false (perhaps you misunderstood my problem, or it wasn't explained properly). My tree is stored at ancestry.co.uk - and i use Family Tree Maker's TreeSync to keep the two in sync. Changes are reflected in both, obviously. The same should be true of hints too - its ancestry.com that is generating them after all, not the program! If you clear a hint on ancestry.com - why should you expect to have to clear it again in a tree that is synced to ancestry.com!

No, I rather think this is poorly implemented feature, or a bug. Digging deeper, reveals that the type of 'hints' that are not 'synced' across are the member tree matches. Other types of hints (records etc) are synced. This is disappointing, because you certainly do not want to be doing the work twice across both website and program.

As for my disappointment with the software - well I shouldn't have muddied my main question with a digression, but since you kindly commented - i was comparing purely to the ancestry.com website itself. One of the advantages of desktop software, surely, should be a greater richness of UI than afforded by the website. Instead, i find that steps that are well handled by the webiste (eg merging of hints) are handled poorly in the software taking many more steps. The navigation is also poorer, and the close integration with the actual website, means that the sluggishness I now see in ancestry.com (which has got progressively worse over the last year) is completely reflected in the software - hence my comment about zip,

Thanks!

Posted: 27 Nov 2013 2:32AM GMT
You have the option to turn off hints from trees in either the online tree or FTM or both.

I have them turned off in both and am delighted that option exists.

Posted: 27 Nov 2013 2:48AM GMT
Thanks - good to know. I actually find the hints invaluable. I've found ancestry.com's hints to be the most accurate of all the genealogy websites I've used. Looks like I'll have to continue to clear hints on the website and perhaps turn them off on the software. shame!

Posted: 27 Nov 2013 9:23PM GMT
Edited: 27 Nov 2013 9:25PM GMT
I, like you find the hints very helpful to my research. I also try to spend the time to make sure they are appropriate to my ancestors.

My approach is that I only make modifications directly to my FTM data - not to Ancestry.com. In other words, I only upload from FTM to Ancestry. For the most part, I use the hints in FTM, but periodically look at Ancestry hints, then go to FTM to finalize research and update if data from FTM if it is valid. The reason I do this is because I may use multiple sources to validate the data; ie, FamilySearch.org, google, or some library research.

I know it is a pain in that the two hint sources are not synced, but, it is a heck of a lot better than not having any at all. My thoughts only, but seems to work for me.

Steve Reed

Posted: 28 Nov 2013 1:29AM GMT
Edited: 28 Nov 2013 2:06AM GMT
"I actually find the hints invaluable."

Do you refer to tree hints? If so, your distant cousins must be more careful clickers than mine. I find 99% dreck and 1% useful intel from tree hints.

Posted: 28 Nov 2013 5:19AM GMT
Ha - well I'm not saying its perfect, there's certainly no shortage of obvious false positives but with enough detail it's fairly decent at identifying the same family in other member trees and occasionally census records too.

It's light years ahead of other sites - I tried the so-called 'smart matches' of a competitor site and the results were laughable with matches identified where there were not one single detail in common - including country of birth.

Posted: 28 Nov 2013 2:17PM GMT
I agree that many are not appropriate, but enough are spot on or close enough for further investigation.

Posted: 9 Dec 2013 10:12PM GMT
FTM 2014 > Tools > Options > General > Search > Search online automatically when connected to the internet - leave this checked

... > Exclude Ancestry Member Trees from automatic search - check this

This is probably the best option. You get a leaf when a new "fact" appears - you do not have to keep ignoring all the "tree" (mostly) garbage ;-) I suspect that "fact" data is not synced with Ancestry - I suspect that each program is using the same logic - ignore a "fact" if it is already in your tree. Like someone said, hints are not "synced" between products. If you turn on these options there is probably no need to do so.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions