Search for content in message boards

McCullough

McCullough

Posted: 14 Feb 2013 2:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
Am attempting to trace back my father's family in the Armagh/Down area of Ireland. My father is David Ross McCullough born in Canada to David McCullough of Tandragee, county Armagh. David sr. was the son of William Robert McCullough and Mary Jane Poyntz(e) who were married 5 May 1882 the info I have is Parish Newry Civil District Newry County Armagh/Down Any information would be greatly appreciated

Re: McCullough

Posted: 14 Feb 2013 10:42PM GMT
Edited: 14 Feb 2013 10:47PM GMT
wm.robert's father alexander. mary jane's father george.

Posted: 15 Feb 2013 1:41AM GMT
Thank you for this, much appreciated

Posted: 15 Feb 2013 3:43PM GMT
1901 Irish Census
House 52, Market Street
Tandagree (Urban)

Mc Cullough, Robert William, 40, Male, Head of Family, Presbyterian
Mc Cullough, Mary Jane, 39, Female, Wife, Presbyterian
Mc Cullough, William Alex, 18, Male, Son, Presbyterian
Mc Cullough, Sam, 16, Male, Son, Presbyterian
Mc Cullough, Margaret Jane, 13, Female, Daughter, Presbyterian
Mc Cullough, Elizabeth, 11, Female, Daughter, Presbyterian
Mc Cullough, David, 9, Male, Son, Presbyterian
Mc Cullough, Isabella, 6, Female, Daughter, Presbyterian
Mc Cullough, Sarah, 4, Female, Daughter, Presbyterian
Mc Cullough, Robert George, 1, Male, Son, Presbyterian

All born Co. Armagh. Robert William was a tailor by trade. By 1911, Mary Jane is a widow, and the only children living at home are Maggie, Lizzie, David, Bella and Robert.

This may be your grandfather's signature on the Ulster Covenant in 1912:

http://applications.proni.gov.uk/UlsterCovenant/image.aspx?i...

Here is some great info:

http://www.tandrageeonline.com/page.php?id=242&PHPSESSID...

Posted: 15 Feb 2013 3:43PM GMT
1901 Irish Census
House 52, Market Street
Tandagree (Urban)

Mc Cullough, Robert William, 40, Male, Head of Family, Presbyterian
Mc Cullough, Mary Jane, 39, Female, Wife, Presbyterian
Mc Cullough, William Alex, 18, Male, Son, Presbyterian
Mc Cullough, Sam, 16, Male, Son, Presbyterian
Mc Cullough, Margaret Jane, 13, Female, Daughter, Presbyterian
Mc Cullough, Elizabeth, 11, Female, Daughter, Presbyterian
Mc Cullough, David, 9, Male, Son, Presbyterian
Mc Cullough, Isabella, 6, Female, Daughter, Presbyterian
Mc Cullough, Sarah, 4, Female, Daughter, Presbyterian
Mc Cullough, Robert George, 1, Male, Son, Presbyterian

All born Co. Armagh. Robert William was a tailor by trade. By 1911, Mary Jane is a widow, and the only children living at home are Maggie, Lizzie, David, Bella and Robert.

This may be your grandfather's signature on the Ulster Covenant in 1912:

http://applications.proni.gov.uk/UlsterCovenant/image.aspx?i...

Here is some great info:

http://www.tandrageeonline.com/page.php?id=242&PHPSESSID...

Posted: 16 Feb 2013 12:57AM GMT
Many thanks for this Eileen, I have actually seen the Covenant online before, family lore has Grandpa signing it in his own blood. And I had the good fortune to have a rather extended sort of penpal situation with Mr. Newell and have a copy of his book Tandragee Remembers which has photos that I contributed of my grandfather. I can wish that my great grandfather would stick to one first name as he tends to turn up here and there going by William on some occasions and Robert on other. I was wondering if there is a death certificate available on line as there is a family story that William/Robert abandoned the family and I know that my grandfather never spoke of his father to my dad and I was very young when he died.
Thanks again , LuAnn

Posted: 30 Nov 2013 10:14PM GMT
I am the grandaughter of Isabella McCullough, your father's sister. I have a picture of your father in uniform in 1914 for the Royal Irish Fusiliers, 9th division. (WW1). MY grandmother married Edward Hall and they lived in Toronto Canada. Isabella was a homemaker and had 2 sons: Edward Hall (my father) and Ian Hall. My mother's name was Rita Wilson and Uncle Ians wife's name was Barbara. My grandmother told me Poyntz Pass, Ireland was named after her relative as he led a battle there. My grandmother was born in Tandragee Ireland and then migrated to Canada, I am not sure what year. She also told me that one of her sisters died in their house in Ireland trying to dry her dress over a fire meant for boiling water. My name is Delcie Hall Beam and I believe we are related.

Posted: 1 Dec 2013 4:19PM GMT
Delcie , I believe we are related. Just so you know David from Tandragee is my grandfather My father is David Ross McCullough. So David sr is my grandfather please feel free to contact me at luannwatt(at) rogers dot com. You know to use the at sign and a real dot. It just helps to keep email addresses from being harvested. Best LuAnn Watt(nee McCullough

Posted: 3 Dec 2013 3:38PM GMT
David (my grandfather ) and Isabella(your grandmother) arrived in Canada in May of 1920 aboard the Caronia at Halifax, the passenger list indicates that they were headed to their married sister's home in Toronto. He married Helen Ross Smith of Aberdeen Scotland on Dec 12 1928 .He died March 12 1958 He and Helen had 3 children , David Ross(my father) James Bain, and Barbara. The passenger list indicates that David(sr) was an engineer and lists Isabella as a "cotton op" I am presuming that means operator. My dad also told me the story of the girls died by her dress(or nightgown) catching fire at the fireplace. My dad who is 84 recalls meeting your dad and uncle on one or two occasions when he was quite young. And also recalls meeting his aunt "Bella" hope this helps. Best LuAnn

Posted: 19 May 2014 9:48AM GMT
My grandfather was Samuel McCullough born Tandragee-married to Sophia nee McAdam. My great grandmother was Granny Poyntz. Bobby McCullough's daughter, Gloria, went to Canada as did others of the McCullough/Robinson families.Her sister Molly lives in Portadown. The McCulloughs went on to embrace the Browns,Redpaths,Taylors etc etc kind regards Larry.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic