Search for content in message boards

William Henry Smith

William Henry Smith

Posted: 13 Jul 2012 3:51AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Smith
I am having trouble finding a link between my Great Grandfather and his parents.

I know that his name is William Henry Smith. Born around 1864/65.
I know he married Frances Ellen Davis in Cooma.
I know that they spent time in Captains Flat before going to Yalwal and then Wollongong.
I know that he died in 1912.

Family history and various marriage certificates of his children record his birth as being in Castlemaine. However I cannot find his parents named on any of these records or a precise birth date (or on his marriage records or death certificate).

I suspect that he was born in Daylesford (close to Castlemaine) to Elizabeth and George Smith in Daylesford.

My problem is that I cannot build the bridge between Daylesford and Cooma/Captains Flat to give me sufficient confidence. It seems like I am taking a big guess.

It's certainly not easy researching 'Smiths', but would anyone have any advice on how I could proceed with my research?

I seem to have hit a bit of a wall. As others copy my information I am hoping I am not leading people astray.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this. And Kind regards.

Re: William Henry Smith

Posted: 13 Jul 2012 4:44AM GMT
Edited: 13 Jul 2012 5:01AM GMT
Hi Rick,

Re the Daylesford connection...

There is a marriage reg. for a William Henry Smith born Daylesford, who married a Christian Robson in Victoria, 1887, Reg. #959.

I see from your tree that the mother of the Daylesford family, Eliza Smith (nee Reynolds), and some family members died at Horsham...

Births for William Henry Smith and Christian in the same general area, Victoria...

William Herbert Smith, Nhill, 1888
Christian Amelia Smith, Nhill, 1890
Alice May Smith, Nhill, 1892
Charles Robert Lumsden Smith, Jeparit, 1896

Anne

Posted: 13 Jul 2012 5:01AM GMT
Hi,
Pre 1896 NSW Marriage certs did not require parents information as those records were kept by the church.

Finding/contacting the church records (named on the marriage cert) should provide parental details.

Kellie

Posted: 13 Jul 2012 5:44AM GMT
Thanks for responding. hmmm so do you think that the William Henry Smith born in Daylesford is not my man?

Maybe if I check the parents of this marriage (William and Christian) it would rule this William Henry Smith out if his parents were Elizabeth Reynolds and George Smith.

Posted: 13 Jul 2012 5:45AM GMT
Thanks Kelly. I have now called Canberra Anglican archivist and I have to send off a written request, which I will do. Thanks for the help.

Posted: 13 Jul 2012 6:03AM GMT
Rather than spend the $20.00 for the Vic certificate, I'd wait to hear back from the church archivist.

In the meantime I've traced Christian Smith (nee Robson), her son C R L Smith, and daughter Christian (married Horace W Taylor) to Henty, New South Wales.

Charles Robert Lumsden Smith served in WWI. He died at Henty, 1929.

12478/1929 SMITH CHARLES R L WILLIAM H CHRISTIAN HENTY

NOK: Mother, Mrs Christian Smith, Day Street, Henty, New South Wales.

This info 'may' come in handy for anyone researching George and Eliza's family.

Cheers, Anne

Posted: 11 Aug 2012 12:34PM GMT
I am also trying to find information on William Henry Smith, who married my great grandmother, Francis Ellen Davis. I would be interested in knowing who your grandparent was.

Cheers,

Cheryl

Posted: 6 Oct 2012 5:09AM GMT
Hi,
To those who previously responded to this thread. I have once again reached a dead end in trying to bridge the gap between the Willliam Henry Smith, married in Coom to Frances Ellen Davis, to his parents in Castlemaine.

The archivist from the Anglican church has been very kind and helpful, however the records from that date of their marriage seem to be missing.

Does anyone know any other records that might bridge the gap?

I was wondering if there might be mining liscences issued that might contain details of the miners orgins? Maybe I could chase this as a lead.

Kind regards,

Rick
per page

Find a board about a specific topic