Search for content in message boards

Searching for Graham family 1830-1850s

Searching for Graham family 1830-1850s

Posted: 10 Mar 2013 5:27AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Graham
My 2xgreat grandmother, Dorothy Graham (also went under the names Dora and Dorothea) emigrated from Belfast, Ireland on 8 June 1852 on the 'Carisbrook Castle' to New Zealand. On her marriage certificate she states she is from Ireland. On 5 of her childrens birth certificates she is stated as being from Ireland, then on the last 3 it states she is from Armagh, Ireland.
My great uncle had a chest of treasures that I was once allowed to peak at, and found a confirmation certificate for Dorothy's sister, Hannah Mary Graham, at St Marks, Grange, Armagh, Ireland on 29 September 1852 by Rev. Henry Cobble. I have traced Hannah to Australia - alas no family living - but on her marriage certificate she gave her parents as John Graham and Hannah Courtney and her date of birth as 1839.
There is a big gap between Hannah b 1839 and Dorothy b 1852 so there must be other children, but I can not locate any information on this family.
Can someone give me any pointers on where to look. If Hannah was confirmed that that make them catholic or protesant?
Thank you, Leila

Re: Searching for Graham family 1830-1850s

Posted: 12 Apr 2013 11:51AM GMT
Edited: 12 Apr 2013 11:52AM GMT
Did Hannah Mary Graham marry John Whelen and have 5 children-Katie,Mary Ann, John James, Emma Evelyn and Etty
Elizabeth?
I have John Graham and Hannah Courtney's children as
1 Lucinda Ann born abt 1816
2 Francis William born abt 1818
3 Mary Jane
4 Margaret Melody
5 Mattie Matilda
6 Catherine Courtney
7 Anna Eliza
8 John Jacob
9 Thomas Courtney

Posted: 12 Apr 2013 11:53AM GMT
9. James Sheperd

Posted: 12 Apr 2013 12:00PM GMT
10 John Jacob
11 Hannah Mary born 1839

Lucinda, Catherine,Anna,John,Thomas James and Hannah went
to Australia from Armagh Co Ireland.
Francis went to New York
Margaret went from New York to Illinois.
Mary Jane may have gone to Canada
Mattie married Henry Carter bust I don't know where.

I don't know where Margaret Graham fits in the family
Carolyn

Posted: 13 Apr 2013 9:43AM GMT
Wow, how did you find all that information out? Yes, Hannah married John Whelen, but no family are still alive.
Thank you. But it now raises more questions. I thought Hannah was Dorothy/Dora's older sister, but according to your information Hannah was the youngest of 11! I have photos of the two families meeting, Mum's cousin is named after one of Hannah's granddaughter. Why would Dorothy/Dora have Hannah's confirmation certificate if they were not related.
I had been trying to trace Hannah as I could not find anything on Dorothy/Dora. Guess I will have to go back to the drawing board.
Thank you again, Leila

Posted: 13 Apr 2013 5:49PM GMT
My son is related to Margaret Melody Graham-Hannah's sister.
Some was a DNA match prob thru her brother Francis Graham.
I only have a handwritten copy of notes om Margaret's sibs
from years ago. I'm working to get more info on the Graham
family.
Who did Margaret Graham marry? Who did she write to in AAustralia?

I let you know if I find anything.

Carolyn

Posted: 14 Apr 2013 8:33AM GMT
Surnames: Graham, Farr
I also have a Graham family from Armagh. My late husbands
great grandmother was Eliza/Elizabeth GRAHAM, born we think in Portadown Armagh in 1849, died in Gympie Queensland Australia in 1923. She married Arthur Farr in November 1871 in Seagoe Armagh. Her parents we think were James Graham and Margaret England.
So far I haven't had any luck tracing any other members of the family or any other information at all. Have you come across this family in your searches?
I would be most grateful for any information you could pass on.

Posted: 14 Apr 2013 11:15AM GMT
Hi Carolyn,
Ettie Mary Imelda Cameron (nee Greene) was godmother to one of my mothers cousins. She also wrote to my mother when she was a child and sent her the sets of cards you used to get out of the weetbix pack - about things like australian birds and animals. She lived in Lake Cargelligo which is in NSW, Australia. Mum lived in New Zealand. Thus they never met that Mum ever knew about. When I researched Hannah Mary, I discovered she married John Whelan and had 5 children. One of those was Emma Evelyn Whelan who married Thomas Timothy Greene. I can find only one child - Ettie Mary Imelda.
I have a photo of Hannah Whelan, Emma Greene, and Imelda Cameron with Dorothy Graham and her husband, David Molesworth. Hannah died in 1924, David in 1926 and Dorothy in 1927 so it had to have been taken before then. Dorothy and David did not have the money to travel overseas, so I am presuming they went to NZ.
Maybe Hannah was Dorothy's aunt, maybe Dorothy was illigitimate and that is why she never talked about her family and never put down anything on her marriage cert, or her children's birth certs other than coming from Ireland???
There has to be some reason she held on to Hannah Mary's confirmation certificate of 1852. I note that Hannah left UK in Sept 1854. Dorothy left Belfast in June 1875.
Leila

Posted: 14 Apr 2013 11:17AM GMT
I am sorry, I have not come across this family at all.
The Grahams I am researching all immigrated to Victoria and New Zealand. None went up to Qld.

Posted: 15 Apr 2013 12:05AM GMT
Thank you, it was a long shot but worth a try.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions