Search for content in message boards

Hearth Money Roll extracts, need help with some

Hearth Money Roll extracts, need help with some

Posted: 14 Mar 2013 5:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 Mar 2013 5:27PM GMT
Hi all,

I am looking at the Hearth Money Roll extracts from http://www.failteromhat.com/armaghhearth.php for Armagh. I have Cunningham ancestors who left Ulster in 1796, and I am trying to trace futher back.

I'm having trouble resolving some of the place names - anyone have good resources for looking at place names in those times?

thanks,
John

Cunigham, William Killkenty Onealand

Cunigham, Pawle Sherranmc Aghully Ardmagh

Cunningham, John Ballymore Orrier

Cunningham, James Drumduffe Torhany

Cunningham, William Town of Armagh Ardmagh

McCunigan, Murtagh Creehillagh Lower Fewes

McCunigan, Henry Creehillagh Lower Fewes

McCunigan, Henry Ballyleenmore Lower Fewes

McCunigan, Patte Drombee Fewes

O'Cunnagh, Hugh Ardmaghbreag Fewes

O'Cunnyre, Bryan Drumguose Torhany

Re: Hearth Money Roll extracts, need help with some

Posted: 14 Mar 2013 7:10PM GMT
Edited: 14 Mar 2013 7:12PM GMT
Cunigham, William Killkenty Onealand – possibly Killuney, barony of Oneilland West

Cunigham, Pawle Sherranmc Aghully Ardmagh – possibly Aghavilly, barony of Armagh

Cunningham, John Ballymore Orrier – Ballymore, barony of Orior Lower

Cunningham, James Drumduffe Torhany - Drumduff (Barony of Tiranny)

Cunningham, William Town of Armagh Ardmagh – Armagh city

McCunigan, Henry Ballyleenmore Lower Fewes – possibly Ballylane, barony of Fews Lower

McCunigan, Patte Drombee Fewes - Drumbee Beg or Drumbee More, barony of Fews Lower,

O'Cunnagh, Hugh Ardmaghbreag Fewes – Armaghbrague, barony of Fews Upper

O'Cunnyre, Bryan Drumguose Torhany – Drumgose, barony of Tiranny

Posted: 14 Mar 2013 7:49PM GMT
Edited: 14 Mar 2013 7:52PM GMT
Thanks for the response. My Cunninghams came from Seagoe parish, so that is in Oneilland East (I believe) so maybe William Cuningham from Killuney could be a connection.

Posted: 14 Mar 2013 8:23PM GMT
Yes Seagoe is in Oneilland East.

Folk did move about a bit though. Griffiths Valuation for 1864 has just 3 Cunningham households in Seagoe, in the townlands of Edenderry, Drumnakelly & Drumgor. Looking at the 1901 census for Co. Armagh they seem a mix of Presbyterian, RC & Church of Ireland so you would need to know what exact denomination your ancestors were in order to check out the relevant church records.

Posted: 14 Mar 2013 11:00PM GMT
Hi Elwyn,

My Cunninghams were Roman Catholic, and based on the PATRICK TOHALL about Ulster Migrants to Mayo, it lists both a John Cunningham and a Edmond Cunningham who left Drumgore to Ballina area in 1795 due to sectarian violence.

The Tithe in Kilcummin parish, county Mayo lists a Pat and Edmond paying tithe in Cashel townland, Kilcummin Parish in 1832.

By the time of Griffiths, there are John Sr, John Jr, Peter, Thomas, James all living in Cashel & Castlemagee townlands (they are neighboring). From there, I have the paper trail of Church records, imigration documents and death certificates.

Connecting from Griffiths back to the Tithes back to Armagh is more circumstantial evidence, though ...
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions