Search for content in message boards

Where did settlers move? (Smith)

Where did settlers move? (Smith)

Todd Moberly (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jan 2006 11:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am following the trail of a gr.gr.gr. uncle who left Kentucky, was briefly in Indiana and appears in the 1860 census of GRANT CO., WIS. There the trail has grown cold, and I assume they moved west.

EDWARD SMITH (b. 1812/KY) and his wife CATHERINE (Parks) SMITH (b. 1822/KY) and their several children were in the 1850 census of Brown Co., Wis., and finally would up in Grant.

They seem to have vanished without a trace and no other data base or researchers for this fairly large family have been found.

Can anyone tell me what the general migration pattern was (if you can say there was such) for that part of Wisconsin?

Is it possible that they went up into Canada, or was that not a trend?

If anyone can give me some feedback on the concept, or certainly if anyone should have a connection with this family, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Todd Moberly

Migration patterns from Grant County

Posted: 22 Jan 2006 12:13AM GMT
Todd, I hope others will respond to this, as it is an interesting topic and may provide clues for others who are having trouble finding ancestors "after Grant County."

I've not kept tabs on this, but in general my research (not just in my own family) has shown migration from Grant County WI to counties in NE Iowa (including Fayette & Clayton) and elsewhere in Iowa, NE Kansas, and SE South Dakota (Minnehaha and Moody Counties); also to California, Oregon and Washington.

SMITH family still in Glen Haven Grant WI in 1870

Posted: 22 Jan 2006 12:45AM GMT
Classification: Census
Surnames: Smith, Way, Hay, Goldsmith
Todd, Catherine is enumerated as head of household in 1870 thus:

1870 US Census, WI Grant Glen Haven, Page 7

Dwelling House 48

Family 49
GOLDSMITH, Alford, 27
-Margaret, 21, Keeping House
-[Amos?], 4

Family 50
SMITH, Catherine, 47, keeping house, real property $200, personal property $100, IN
-Henry, 19, at home, WI
-Amanda, 12, at home, WI
-William, 9, at home, WI

Family 50
[HAY or WAY], Otis, 38, Farmer, real property $3,000, personal proeprty $200, OH

Henry SMITH, Glen Haven, 1880

Posted: 22 Jan 2006 12:53AM GMT
Surnames: Smith
Todd, this looks like a very good match for Edward & Catherine's son Henry:

1880 US Census, WI Grant Glen Haven, ED106, page 2
SMITH, Henry, 24, labor, WI KY KY
-Sarah, 26, wife, keeping house, IA OH OH
-Albert, 3, son, at home, WI WI IA

Catherine SMITH in Glen Haven in 1880

Posted: 22 Jan 2006 12:58AM GMT
Surnames: Smith, Shaw
1880 US Census, WI Grant Glen Haven, ED106, page 8
SMITH, Catharine, 54, widowed, keeping house, born KY, parents born NC
-Wm., 19, son, laborer, born WI, parents born KY
[SHAW?], Jane, 9, granddaughter, at school, born WI, father OH, mother WI

Re: SMITH family still in Glen Haven Grant WI in 1870

Posted: 22 Jan 2006 3:21AM GMT
Hi,
And thanks so much for the update. Looks like uncle Edward didn't go out further west as I had thought!
Are you aware of any possible descendants in the area?
I know with a name like Smith, it's a disaster, but doesn't hurt to ask.

Re: Catherine SMITH in Glen Haven in 1880

Posted: 22 Jan 2006 3:26AM GMT
Thanks again for the new information!
I hope there are some descendants that in time will see this.
All this is but an attempt to research my Smith line by working down collateral line to find others who have done additional research.
It was very unusual for anybody to leave Kentucky and wind up in Wis., so thought that very striking. Most of our out migration was to Missouri, points west. Some went to Illinois, Kansas, and a lot went to Texas from here as well.

Thanks again,

Todd

SMITH descendants

Posted: 22 Jan 2006 4:54AM GMT
Todd wrote, "... Are you aware of any possible descendants in the area? I know with a name like Smith, it's a disaster, but doesn't hurt to ask."

If you can post a list of Edward & Catherine's children's names and approximate birth years, it may be possible to find marriages. I seem to recall from the censuses that some of the girls had somewhat unusual names.

Do you subscribe to ancestry.com?

Re: Migration patterns from Grant County

Posted: 22 Jan 2006 2:55PM GMT
Surnames: Klein Kline Youngblood Jungbluth Becker Huenefeld
My great-grandparents, George and Caroline JUNGBLUTH Klein moved from Grant County [Lancaster/Boscobel area] to Custer County, NE in about 1885 where they homesteaded in the Stop Table area about 12 miles southwest of Callaway, NE.

Family legend says that George worked for a family name Huenefeld and he went with them to Nebraska.

Caroline Jungbluth Kleins parents were in the Liberty area of Grant County when George and Caroline married in 1881 in Boscobel. By 1882 her parents and younger siblings were in Wood Co., Marshfield, WI area where Christine BECKER Jungbluth lived until her death in 1914. Adam Jungbluth [Youngblood] died from in 1882 when a horse kicked him in the head.

George's younger brother Andrew went to Dawson County, NE and was there at the time of the 1880 census as a single farmer. It is believed that he, too, had been in Grant County as in 1881 he went back to Grant County where he married a Louise Huenefeld. They appear to have spent at least 20 years somewhere in Nebraska, and perhaps 30 years, as their 9 children that I have identified seem to have all been born somewhere in Nebraska. I am still trying to determine where they lived in Nebraska. They moved to the Olympia, Thurston Co., Washington area in about 1912 where they used the surname KLINE, instead of Klein. There still appear to be some descendants in the area of Olympia, Thurston County, WA.

Even today, Custer County, NE is a tough place to live in and in the homestead era of the 1880s it must have taken extreme courage to survive there, as George and family did for 30 years before moving to Tabor, Iowa. I am attaching a picture of the Kleins in front of their soddy taken in about 1895.

Ron Klein
Attachments:

Re: Where did settlers move? (Schenk)

Posted: 22 Jan 2006 3:28PM GMT
Surnames: Schenk Prawn
My ancestors, Robert and Wilhelmine (Wilcena) Schenk, moved from Grant County to Illinois sometime before 1869. (They were married Dec 1856.)

After a year, they were in Riley County, Kansas. By 1877, they were in Iowa. A few years later, they were in Kansas again, then Nebraska. (If you believe census reports)

I could never figure out Wilhelmine's true birth name. On county marriage license, she is listed as Wilcena Prawn, daughter of George and Christiana Prawn. However, I cannot find a George or a Prawn that fits the spelling or variation of spelling in the 1860 Grant County census. Other county 1860 census on Ancestry.com did not yield results. If the county clerk misunderstood Wilhelmina for Wilcena, what was the original name that would have been guessed as Prawn?

A later census states she could not read or write English (she emigrated from Prussia) so everything about her ancestry is up in the air right now.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic