Search for content in message boards

Clifford family Armagh

Clifford family Armagh

Posted: 26 Mar 2013 11:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Clifford & Furphy
Hoping to find any descendants of Joseph Clifford b,1855 who married Mary Furphy 1896 Portadown

Re: Clifford family Armagh

Posted: 31 Mar 2013 1:15PM GMT
Hello Camlad,

From reading the various replies concerning your Clifford and Furpy ancestors, I notice that you now have information about several children born to Richardson Joseph Clifford and Mary Furphy. Concerning this family, I uncovered the birth and baptism indexes for at least 10 of their children at the Irish Family History Foundation (IFHF) website for County Armagh. The births of the children were all recorded in the Lurgan No. 2 (CP), that is, Civil Parish. These are civil birth records as opposed to baptisms. I also found the baptism indexes for 7 of the 10 children. All the baptisms were recorded in the Seagoe Catholic Church in County Armagh.

The names and dates of the births or baptisms of these children are: Joseph (1887); Theresa/Teresa (1889); Catherine (1891); James (1893); Margaret (1895); John (1897); James (1898); Letty 1901; Francis (1902); and Edward (1905).

Most of the first names of the Clifford children I had found in the 1901 census, which shows the family residing in Derryadd, District Electoral Division (DED) of Montiaghs, County Armagh.

The first two birth and baptism indexes you see below are for Joseph. The IFHF search engine accepted Richardson as his father’s first name in both indexes. But for children born after Joseph, the search would only accept the first name of Richardson in the Seagoe Catholic Church baptisms, but not in the Lurgan civil births. For the civil births, the search engine would only accept the father’s name as Richard. This is how the births and baptisms are most likely recorded in copies of the originals. You’ll also notice in the indexes that follow that the child’s name in the 1889 birth index is spelled Theresa, while her name in the accompanying baptism index is spelled Teresa. If you try to access the birth and baptism indexes for this child without spelling her name as noted in the indexes, the search engine will not produce any results.

The IFHF homepage can be found at: http://www.rootsireland.ie/

Before accessing indexes at the IFHF you’ll first have to register. Registration is free. You’ll also be able to access the birth and baptism indexes for the Clifford children that I did for free, but you will be charged to obtain transcriptions of the births and baptisms from the IFHF. You’ll have to purchase credits with a credit card to obtain the transcriptions. The IFHF website has more information about purchasing credits for baptism, as well as birth, marriage, and death or burial transcriptions at: http://www.rootsireland.ie/index.php?id=78

The birth and baptism indexes (16 indexes in all) for the 10 Clifford children are below:

1 match for the search criteria: Clifford (plus variants) Joseph 1887 Parish: LURGAN NO2 (CP)

Record Type: Baptism/Birth Records for Co. Armagh
Surname: Clifford
First Name: Joseph
Father's Surname: Clifford
Father's First Name: Richardson
Mother's Surname: Furphy
Mother's First Name: Mary

Year: 1887

Parish/District: LURGAN NO2 (CP)

AND

1 match for the search criteria: Clifford (plus variants) Joseph 1887 Parish: SEAGOE (RC)

Year: 1887

Parish/District: SEAGOE (RC)
____

1 match for the search criteria: Clifford (plus variants) Theresa 1889 Parish: LURGAN NO2 (CP)

First Name: Theresa
Father's First Name: Richard

Year: 1889

AND

1 match for the search criteria: Clifford (plus variants) Teresa 1889 Parish: SEAGOE (RC)

First Name: Teresa

Year: 1889

____

1 match for the search criteria: Clifford (plus variants) Catherine 1891 Parish: LURGAN NO2 (CP)

First Name: Catherine

Year: 1891

AND

1 match for the search criteria: Clifford (plus variants) Catherine 1891 Parish: SEAGOE (RC)

Year: 1891

____

1 match for the search criteria: Clifford (plus variants) James 1893 Parish: SEAGOE (RC)

First Name: James

Year: 1893

____

1 match for the search criteria: Clifford (plus variants) Margaret 1895 Parish: LURGAN NO2 (CP)

First Name: Margaret

Year: 1895

AND

1 match for the search criteria: Clifford (plus variants) Margaret 1895 Parish: SEAGOE (RC)

First Name: Margaret

Year: 1895

____

1 match for the search criteria: Clifford (plus variants) John 1897 Parish: LURGAN NO2 (CP)

First Name: John

Year: 1897

AND

1 match for the search criteria: Clifford (plus variants) John 1897 Parish: SEAGOE (RC)

Year: 1897

____

1 match for the search criteria: Clifford (plus variants) James 1898 Parish: LURGAN NO2 (CP)

Year: 1898

AND

1 match for the search criteria: Clifford (plus variants) James 1898 Parish: SEAGOE (RC)

Year: 1898

____

1 match for the search criteria: Clifford (plus variants) Letty 1901 Parish: LURGAN NO2 (CP)

First Name: Letty

Year: 1901

____

1 match for the search criteria: Clifford (plus variants) Francis 1902 Parish: LURGAN NO2 (CP)

First Name: Francis

Year: 1902

____

1 match for the search criteria: Clifford (plus variants) Edward 1905 Parish: LURGAN NO2 (CP)

First Name: Edward

Year: 1905

____

Concerning the birth indexes for Francis and Edward, born in 1902 and 1905 respectively, I had to guess as to what their first names were, as the IFHF does not provide names in any of their records, unless you know what they are, or take a guess as to what they are. The other option would have been to expend credits to find out what their first names were, but I didn’t want to do that.

You can order the birth and baptism transcriptions for the Clifford children individually from the 10 different indexes, or you can order them from one index. To order the transcriptions form one index, do not include the first names of the children in the search engine. In place of the first names use the % sign as a wild card. Also, do not use the full first name of the father, Richardson, but use Richard as the civil births were not recorded (according to the indexes above) under the first name of Richardson, except for the birth of Joseph. Also do not include the years of births or baptisms, or the district or parish where the births or baptisms took place. The search engine form will look like this:

16 matches for the search criteria: Clifford (plus variants) %

First Name: %

Year:

Parish/District:
____

I then found both the 1886 church and civil parish marriage indexes for Joseph Clifford and Mary Furphy at the IFHF website for County Armagh. The church index shows they were married in the Drumcree Catholic Church. The civil index shows their marriage recorded in the Portadown district civil parish (CP):

1 match for the search criteria: Clifford (plus variants) Joseph 1886 Parish: DRUMCREE (RC)

Record Type: Marriage Records for Co. Armagh
Spouse's Surname: Furphy
Spouse's First Name: Mary
Father's Surname:
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Year: 1886

Parish/District: Parish: DRUMCREE (RC)

AND

1 match for the search criteria: Clifford (plus variants) Joseph 1886 Parish: PORTADOWN RC (CP)

Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Parish/District: Parish: PORTADOWN RC (CP)
____

Civil marriages from this time period traditionally include the names of the fathers of the groom and bride, but not the names of their mothers. For Joseph’s father I submitted to the search engine the first name of Richardson, which the search engine accepted:

1 match for the search criteria: Clifford (plus variants) Joseph 1886 Parish: PORTADOWN RC (CP)

Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

____

In a reply to one of your posts at Ancestry.com pertaining to Mary Furphy, EileenWilson001 had kindly submitted a birth index (from Ancestry.com) for Mary Furfey, showing that her parents were John Furfey and Susannah McMahon.

But, with Mary Furphy as the primary partner in the IFHF marriage index, I submitted John as the name of Mary’s father to the search engine, but the search engine rejected this name. Instead, after a few guesses the search engine did accept Joseph as the first name of Mary’s father in the 1886 marriage index for Portadown:

1 match for the search criteria: Furphy (plus variants) Mary 1886 Parish: PORTADOWN RC (CP)

Surname: Furphy
First Name: Mary
Spouse's Surname: Clifford
Spouse's First Name: Joseph
Father's Surname: Furphy
Father's First Name: Joseph
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

____

You would have to order the transcription of the civil marriage for Joseph Clifford and Mary Furphy to conform that Mary’s father’s first name was Joseph, rather than John, as records from the IFHF are transcriptions of originals, not copies of the originals, which means they are subject to error.

In the 1901 census Mary Clifford is shown to be 33 years old, which places her year of birth circa 1868, three years after the 1865 birth index submitted by EileenWilson001, where Mary’s father is listed as John Furfey and her mother as Susanna McMahon.

Just to confirm this birth with another source, I looked for Mary’s birth as well as baptism indexes at the IFHF website for County Armagh and located both indexes.

The first index below shows that Mary’s civil birth was recorded in the Tartaraghan in 1865. The second index shows that Mary’s baptism took place in the Drumcree Catholic Church in 1865. In both indexes the IFHF search engine accepted John as the first name of Mary’s father. In the birth index the search engine accepted the spelling of Susanna for her mother’s first name, but Susana as the spelling of her mother’s first name in the baptism index. The search engine accepted McMahon as the mother’s maiden name in both the birth and baptism indexes:

1 match for the search criteria: Furphy (plus variants) Mary 1865 Parish: TARTARAGHAN CP (CP)

Father's First Name: John
Mother's Surname: McMahon
Mother's First Name: Susanna

Year: 1865

Parish/District: TARTARAGHAN CP (CP)

AND

1 match for the search criteria: Furphy (plus variants) Mary 1865 Parish: DRUMCREE (RC)

Father's First Name: John
Mother's Surname: McMahon
Mother's First Name: Susana

Year: 1865

Parish/District: DRUMCREE (RC)
____

I then wanted to see if I could uncover a birth or baptism index in the 1860s for a Mary Furphy whose father was Joseph. I found one index. This is for a Mary Murphy who was baptized in the Drumcree Catholic Church in 1863. The IFHF search engine accepted Margaret as the first name of her mother after some guess work as to what her first name was:

1 match for the search criteria: Furphy (plus variants) Mary 1863 Parish: DRUMCREE (RC)

Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name: Margaret

Year: 1863

____

I didn’t try to guess what Margaret’s maiden name was. You would have to order the baptism transcription from the IFHF to find out what her maiden name was.

I then looked for the birth or baptism index for a Richardson Clifford, but didn’t find one in the 1860s. Nor did I find the baptism index for a Richardson Clifford in the 1850s. But I did uncover an 1853 marriage index for a Richardson Clifford and others at Ancestry.com, but this index shows the names of three brides, anyone of which Richardson could have married. The index doesn’t specify which two people married:

Ireland, Civil Registration Marriages Index, 1845-1958

Name: Richardson Clifford
Date of Registration: 1853
Registration district: Lurgan
Volume: 7
Page Number: 547
FHL Film Number: 101244

Records on Page:

Name

Thomas Magee
Mary Jane Johnston
Thomas Telford
Sarah Irwin
Richardson Clifford
Ann Toal
George Procter

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. Ireland, Civil Registration Marriages Index, 1845-1958 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2011.

Original data:
“Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes 1845–1958,” Index. FamilySearch, Salt Lake City, Utah. General Register Office. "Quarterly Returns of Births in Ireland with Index to Births." Belfast, Ireland.
____

At this point I went back to the IFHF website for County Armagh to see if Richardson Clifford had married Mary Jane Johnston, Sarah Irwin, or Ann Toal in 1853. The search engine accepted Ann Toal as Richardson’s wife. However, the index shows the couple were married in the Tartaraghan (CI), that is Church of Ireland, rather than in the Catholic Church. I took a few guesses as to the name of Richardson’s father and the search engine accepted Robert:

1 match for the search criteria: Clifford (plus variants) Richardson 1853 Parish: TARTARAGHAN CI (CP)

First Name: Richardson
Spouse's Surname: Toal
Spouse's First Name: Ann
Father's First Name: Robert
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Year: 1853

Parish/District: Parish: TARTARAGHAN CI (CP)
____

With Ann Toal as the primary partner in the marriage index, I guessed that her father’s first name was James:

1 match for the search criteria: Toal (plus variants) Ann 1853 Parish: TARTARAGHAN CI (CP)

Surname: Toal
First Name: Ann
Spouse's First Name: Richardson
Father's Surname: Toal
Father's First Name: James
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Year: 1853

Parish/District: Parish: TARTARAGHAN CI (CP)
____

The 1886 church marriage for Joseph Clifford and Mary Furphy had shown they were married in the Portadown Catholic Church. That index had also noted that Joseph’s father was Richardson Clifford. It could be that Richardson Joseph Clifford (the younger) had belonged to the Church of Ireland but had converted to Catholicism in order to marry Mary Furphy in 1886, but that’s only a guess on my part.

Kind Regards,

Dave Boylan

Posted: 31 Mar 2013 10:51PM GMT
Hello Dave
That is an amazing bit of research, we are still trying to get our head around it!it took twelve pages to print, thank you.
with regards some of the names Catherine 1891,is Kathleen,my wife's direct line.she died 1974 Kilwinning Scotland
we had Letitia for Letty, We have a Edward b,1888 not 1905,& no knowledge of Francis,1902, we did find Joseph married a Catherine Boyle b,1858 in 1876 before he married Mary Furphy,& had one child Mary Ann b,1879 so Catherine must have died before 1886, with such a large family of Clifford,s we haven't found any other descendents yet Cheers

Posted: 4 Apr 2013 2:09PM GMT
You’re welcome camlad and many thanks for your response. You had mentioned in your reply that Joseph Clifford had married a Catherine Boyle. I found the church marriage index as well as the civil marriage index for Joseph and Catherine at the IFHF website for County Armagh. I’m not sure which marriage record you have, but the indexes below show they were married in the Drumcree Catholic Church, while their civil marriage was recorded in Portadown. The 1886 marriage indexes for Joseph and Mary Furphy had shown their marriage also recorded in the Drumcree Catholic Church and Portadown.

The church and civil marriage indexes for Joseph Clifford and Catherine Boyle follow:

1 match for the search criteria: Clifford (plus variants) Joseph 1876 Parish: DRUMCREE (RC)

Spouse's Surname: Boyle
Spouse's First Name: Catherine
Father's Surname:
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Year: 1876

Parish/District: Parish: DRUMCREE (RC)

AND

1 match for the search criteria: Clifford (plus variants) Joseph 1876 Parish: PORTADOWN RC (CP)

Spouse's Surname: Boyle
Spouse's First Name: Catherine
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

____

With Catherine Boyle as the primary partner in the marriage index, I guessed that her father was Peter Boyle. The IFHF search engine accepted this:

1 match for the search criteria: Boyle (plus variants) Catherine 1876 Parish: PORTADOWN RC (CP)

Surname: Boyle
Spouse's First Name: Joseph
Father's Surname: Boyle
Father's First Name: Peter
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

____

Your records show that Joseph and Catherine had one child, Mary Ann, born in 1878. But I found the birth and baptism indexes for two of their children at the IFHF website. One of these children is for John Clifford (1878), while the other child is the aforementioned Mary Ann, born, as your records show, in 1879. The births of the two children were recorded in Tartaraghan, while the baptisms took place in the Drumcree Catholic Church. In the birth index for Mary Ann the IFHF search engine would only accept Richardson as the first name of her father, and the spelling “Cathrine”, for the first name of her mother. In Mary Ann’s baptism index the search engine would only accept the abbreviation, “Cath” for her mother’s first name, but did accept Joseph as her father. The indexes are below:

1 match for the search criteria: Clifford (plus variants) John 1878 Parish: TARTARAGHAN CP (CP)

Mother's Surname: Boyle
Mother's First Name: Catherine

Year: 1878

AND

1 match for the search criteria: Clifford (plus variants) John 1878 Parish: DRUMCREE (RC)

Year: 1878

____

1 match for the search criteria: Clifford (plus variants) Mary 1879 Parish: TARTARAGHAN CP (CP)

First Name: Mary Ann
Mother's First Name: Cathrine

Year: 1879

AND

1 match for the search criteria: Clifford (plus variants) Mary 1879 Parish: DRUMCREE (RC)

First Name: Mary Anne
Mother's First Name: Cath

Year: 1879
____

CATHERINE BOYLE

From the marriage index we know that Catherine Boyle’s father was Peter Boyle. Information you have shows that Catherine was born in 1858. With this information I wanted to see if I could find a baptism index for Catherine for the late 1850s. There will not be a civil record of birth for her, as civil registration of births, marriages, and deaths for all religious denominations in Ireland, didn’t begin until 1864.

I located two birth indexes at the IFHF website, one of which may pertain to your Catherine Boyle. The first index below shows the baptism of a Catherine Boyle took place in the Seagoe Catholic Church in 1856. After a guess or two the IFHF search engine accepted Catherine as the first name of her mother:

1 match for the search criteria: Boyle (plus variants) Catherine 1856 Parish: SEAGOE (RC)

Mother's Surname:

Year: 1856

____

I then wanted to see if I could learn what the maiden name of Catherine’s mother, Catherine, was. To do this I went to the Latter Day Saints (LDS) website, to see if I could find the birth indexes in County Armagh for any children born to a Peter Boyle and a Catherine. The LDS have recorded civil births throughout Ireland after 1863. I thought there was a possibility that even though Catherine was born and baptized in 1856, her parents may have had other children for the remainder of the 1850s and into the mid to latter 1860s.

The LDS website can be found at: https://www.familysearch.org/#form=advanced-records

Two indexes that I uncovered are below. One shows the birth of a Patrick Boyle recorded in Armagh, Ireland on 14 April 1865. Her parents are listed as Peter Boyle and Catherin McGuckin. The second index shows the birth of a Rosanne Boyle recorded in Armagh on 1 November 1868. Her parents are listed as Peter Boyle and Catherine Darcy.

Please see below:

Patrick Boyle

birth: 14 Apr 1865

Armagh, Ireland

parents: Peter Boyle, Catherin Mcguckin
____

Rosanne Boyle

birth: 01 Nov 1868

Armagh, Ireland

parents: Peter Boyle, Catherine Darcy
____

I then went back to the birth index for Catherine Boyle to see if the search engine would accept either McGuckin or Darcy as Catherine’s maiden name. The search engine accepted McGuckin. And so, this baptism index shows that Catherine Boyle’s parents were Peter Boyle and Catherine McGuckin:

1 match for the search criteria: Boyle (plus variants) Catherine 1856 Parish: SEAGOE (RC)

Mother's Surname: McGuckin

Year: 1856

____

Has the surname McGuckin come up in the Boyle genealogy?

The second index I uncovered shows the baptism of a Catherine Boyle recorded in the Lower Killeavy Catholic Church. The IFHF search engine also accepted Catherine as the first name of Catherine’s mother:

1 match for the search criteria: Boyle (plus variants) Catherine 1860 Parish: LWR KILLEAVY (RC)

Mother's Surname:

Year: 1860

Parish/District: LWR KILLEAVY (RC)
____

I usually don’t try to guess as to the maiden name of a child’s mother in a baptism or a birth index when searching at the IFHF. But, what I almost always do is see if the surnames of the child’s parents are the same, as I have found over the years that people with the same last names in Ireland, during the 19th century, had married one another. In the case of the baptism index for Catherine in 1860, I typed in Boyle as Catherine’s maiden name and was surprised that the search engine accepted Boyle. In the revised index below you’ll see that Catherine’s parents are Peter Boyle and Catherine Boyle:

1 match for the search criteria: Boyle (plus variants) Catherine 1860 Parish: LWR KILLEAVY (RC)

Year: 1860

Parish/District: LWR KILLEAVY (RC)
____

I think the first baptism index for Catherine Boyle (1856), daughter of Peter Boyle and Catherine McGuckin, may be the
Catherine who would later marry your Peter Boyle in 1876. This is because the Catholic Parish of Seagoe borders the Catholic parishes of Drumcree and Tartaraghan. In addition, Portadown is located within the Civil Parish of Drumcree. These are the locations associated with the Clifford family as noted in this reply and my first reply of 31 March.

To see a Catholic Parish map of County Armagh, go to the Irish Times website link at:
http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/browse/counties/rcmaps/ar...

You’ll see that the Catholic parishes of Seagoe, Drumcree and Tartaraghan (the full name of which is Loughall & Tartaraghan) are situated in the northern portion of the county. The Catholic parish of Lower Killeavey, on the other hand, is located in the southeast portion of the map.

Next I wanted to see if I could locate the death record for Joseph Clifford’s first wife Catherine Boyle. I looked for her death record at the IFHF website as well as at the LDS and Ancestry.com websites. I didn’t find a death index for her recorded in the late 1870s and early to mid 1880s. It is possible there is a death record for her, but that I couldn’t identify it in any of the website mentioned above.

Once again, thank you for your reply,

Kind Regards,

Dave

Posted: 4 Apr 2013 8:30PM GMT
Hi Dave thanks again for your help with regards to the Clifford family.
We could not find the death of Catherine Boyle sometime between 1779 & 1885,& did not know of son John, I had found Peter Boyle but not his wife's name.
Hoping through our letters someone from the Clifford family
will read and connect, there must be many still living in Ireland,although a lot moved to Glasgow. Mary Furphy Clifford died in Glasgow 1944 thanks again for your help cheers

Posted: 9 May 2013 12:26PM GMT
You're welcome Camlad, and thank you for the follow-up reply.

Dave

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions