Search for content in message boards

William JONES, b. c1789, TN(N.C.)>Weakley Co., TN by 1830

William JONES, b. c1789, TN(N.C.)>Weakley Co., TN by 1830

Brenda (View posts)
Posted: 23 Mar 2002 6:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: JONES, SCOTT, MARTIN
Looking for any information about family of William Jones, b. c1789, in TN (according to census info). Since TN was not a state until 1796, his birthplace might be considered N.C. William's wife was Rebecca UNK., b. 1789; died in 1850 in Weakley Co., TN. Children:
1) Sarah H. JONES, b. 1812, (prob. Wilson Co. TN), m. William Shank SCOTT and lived in Weakley Co., TN; 2)

2) Andrew Jackson JONES, b. c1814, m. 1. Margaret UNK, m. 2. Angeline C. MARTIN (lived in Weakley Co., TN, 1830 - 1898.

3) Esperan Looney JONES, b. c 1818-1820

4) Nercis P. JONES, b. c1818-1820
Note: Esperan and Nercis both died in 1844 within a few days of each other. This is from tombstone info in Scott Cemetery in Weakley Co., TN. Evidently, there are no birth dates on the stones.

5) Stephen F. JONES, b. c1823, m. Mary J. UNK.

William was a slaveowner, and, in 1853, he gave young slaves, Sam, age 7, to his grandson Erassmus JONES (son of Stephen F.); Adeline, age 12, to his granddaughter, Rebecca JONES (dau. of Andrew J. JONES); and Armenta, age 5, to his granddaughter Paralee R.N. SCOTT (dau. of Sarah JONES SCOTT). (Deed of gift records, Weakley Co., TN) ( In the 1870 Weakley Co.TN Census, Sam JONES, the former slave, age 23, and wife Mary BRYANT, age 20, were living 2 doors away from William JONES, age 81.)

Please let me know if you have any information about my JONES family. I'll be happy to share any information that I have. Thank you very much.
Brenda

Re: William JONES, b. c1789, TN(N.C.)>Weakley Co., TN by 1830

Posted: 26 Mar 2002 5:59AM GMT
Edited: 20 Jun 2002 4:35AM GMT
i have a william jones in my family tree. his parents names where shadrick or shadrach jones. how ever you want to spell it and his mother would have been. i think it was susan am not sure don't have all of my information in front of me. he had several brothers and sisters. and i am a descendent through samuel jones which would have been his brother. but the name and dates and county all match my information if you would like to talk further and then i would know what you might be looking for.
michelle

Brenda (View posts)
Posted: 26 Mar 2002 1:34PM GMT
Surnames: JONES
Michelle,
Just last night, I received information (the will of Andrew Jackson Jones, my gg grandfather) which confuses me a bit as to the father of my Andrew. It also insinuates that he had more brothers and sisters than I know of. The only sibling specifically mentioned was W.T. Jones, but he talks about "all of my brothers and sisters". I only have names of one brother and one sister and two other sisters who died many years before this will was probated. He also mentions an Aunt Rebecca Jones, and, unfortunately, doesn't mention children, at all. Census data confirms what I know of the children. This will was probated Feb. 25, 1898, and Rebecca (the one that I thought was A.J.'s mother) died in 1850 so couldn't be the Aunt Rebecca who's mentioned in the will). Up to this point, I'd thought his mother was a Rebecca and father was William. Now I'm not totally sure about that particular couple. I hadn't been able to sort out all the William Joneses in Weakley Co. in the 1840's and 50's, for sure but thought because of deeds of gift naming grandchildren (one of them, my A.J.'s dau., Rebecca) that he was William Jones, the slaveowner, listed in both 1830 and 1840 census data. I've seen Shadrack in 1830 or 1840 Weakley Co. I'll take another look at him. Thanks for responding. I'd appreciate any advice or input, and I'll be happy to share what information that I have.
Brenda

Posted: 27 Mar 2002 5:24AM GMT
i would appreciate that if there is a shadrack jones in the blood line then we would be related. and alot of data on my family. and would like to see a copy of the census that you have with him on it if you don't mind. alot of my family came from tennessee and then later moved to missouri. from weakley county and white county .
michelle

Brenda (View posts)
Posted: 27 Mar 2002 1:40PM GMT
Michelle,
A transcribed version of the 1830 and 1840 Weakley Co. TN Cenus is online at TNGenWeb.org . Go there then click on Weakley Co. Scroll down just a bit and you'll see the census years that are available. There are many Jones families there, but, of course, only the heads of household are named. Here is the Shadereck Jones data from 1840.

Shadereck Jones p. 300 line 3 (A. J., my gg grandfather, is listed as being on p. 301 in the original census.)
2 white males under 5 (1835-1840)
3 white males 5-10 (1830-1835
1 white male 30-40 (1800-1810)
1 white female 10-15 (1825-1830)
1 white female 20-30 (1810-1820)

Hope this helps.
Brenda

Posted: 27 Mar 2002 5:19PM GMT
Edited: 1 Sep 2003 2:05PM GMT
I am researching for my husband. He has a James Marion Jones b. 11/20/1863 in Tenn. No parents or county is known at this time. Does this sound familiar?

Brenda (View posts)
Posted: 28 Mar 2002 1:50AM GMT
Hi Lisa,
At this point in my research, I can't connect your James Marion with my line. I still have many gaps, so I'll keep his birthdate in my notes in case I come across a connection later. I'll also let you know if I happen to find his name as I search. Have you tried Johanna Thompson's Jones database? I can't think of her URL or the actual name of the site, but you might find it by typing her name into www.google.com . She has many, many Jones names listed with some info for most. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help. Good luck with your research.

Brenda

Posted: 28 Mar 2002 4:49AM GMT
not right off hand. most of the jones family that i have been able to trace were in tennessee but then later moved to missouri. will have to get back to you on that one lisa. but will check my data that i have and write you back. there is some information that i don't have yet that i am still trying to look for and find out.
michelle
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions