Search for content in message boards

The elusive Sarah McCormick

The elusive Sarah McCormick

Posted: 9 May 2013 10:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McCormick, Coburn
Trying to find more information about my great great grandmother. What I know for sure is that her son Caleb, my great grandfather, was born on 8/4/1988 in Portadown Ireland. The residence is Ballyhannon. No father was recorded - I was told that it was known but not recorded. The mother, Sarah McCormick, was a teenager when she gave birth. Sometime in the next few years she left for America without her son, who would later come to America in search of her when he was around 12 years old. According to him, he found her in Boston around 1902 but her husband would have none of him and sent him on his way.

My grandfather was mostly raised by his grandparents in Ireland. We think there names are John McCormick and Deborah Coburn, but only because we found a birth record of a Sarah McCormick in the area that matches up.

It's quite a mystery - not only who the mysterious father was but also what became of Sarah McCormick in America. If anybody has any information (even far fetched info), I'd love to hear it.

Re: The elusive Sarah McCormick

Posted: 10 May 2013 3:11PM GMT
I think your Caleb Walter McCormick is Kelip McCormack of Ballyhannon in the 1901 census. He is living with grandmother Martha and possible uncle Alexander lives nearby. It is possible this is Martha Jones who married John McCormick. The relationship "grandmother" might not be exact, but I would seriously consider it. Your Caleb is listed as Walter in 1910 in Connecticut. You might check to see he is associated with possible uncle John and Jennie (Orr) McCormick in Manchester, CT as John is a son of John and Martha. Jennie died 1910, so she may not be in the picture at the time Caleb arrived.

I can not find records at Knocknamuckley, so possibly a Portadown church is involved.

On a side note, Jennie has mother Elizabeth McCleary says a tree on-line. If you find anything on her, I would be very interested in a message.

Posted: 10 May 2013 3:32PM GMT
With a little creative spelling, I found Caleb at home in Ireland in the 1901 census with his grandmother:

Residents of a house 12 in Ballyhannon (Carrowbrack, Armagh)

McCormack Martha 70 Female Head of Family Church of Ireland
McCormack William G 20 Male Grand Son Church of Ireland
McCormack Kelip 13 Male Grand Son Church of Ireland

This is likely the index entry for Martha's death:

Name: Martha M'Cormick
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1838
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1906
Death Age: 68
Registration district: Lurgan
Death Country: Ireland
Volume: 1
Page: 584
FHL Film Number: 0101603

There is a Sarah McCormack, aged 18, who left Queenstown in April 1892 aboard the Scythia bound for Boston. There are two Sarah McCormacks registered in Lurgan for a birth in 1873 (one is a Sarah Jane). There are also two Sarah (Jane) M'Cormicks registered in Lurgan in 1870 and 1872 respectively. Also one in 1866, but that may be a bit early.

You can alternatively contact the parish of Seagoe which should have the above births:

http://www.downanddromore.org/parishes/seagoe#.UY0St9xzYdU

Posted: 10 May 2013 3:42PM GMT
Caleb (indexed as Capel McCormick) arrived aboard the Mongolian out of Londonderry in 1904, aged 16, born Ballyhannon (Portadown), bound for his mother, Mrs. S. McCormick, 28 Birch Street, South Manchester.

Posted: 10 May 2013 4:00PM GMT
A possible:

1900 US Census
Manchester, Connecticut
Birch Street

Dickson, William, Head, born October 1873, aged 26, married, 0 years, born Ireland, immigrated 1896, alien, weaver
Dickson, Sarah M., Wife, born February 1876, aged 24, married 0 years, 0 children born/living, immigrated 1895.

Her age may be incorrect or she did not want to admit she was older than her newly married husband.

By the 1910 census, they have five children.

Posted: 10 May 2013 4:44PM GMT
You all are amazing! I'll have to add this all up and see what else I can come up with. Thank you so much!

Posted: 10 May 2013 5:07PM GMT
In Griffiths Valuation, there are three possibilities in Ballyhannon for Sarah's father:

McCormack, James: House
McCormick, John: House, offices and land
McCormick, Nicholas: House, office and land

Not Nicholas, as his will, dated 1891, is online and names his children as Robert, Mary, Judith, Margaret, Ann, Eliza and Christina.

William Dickson's WWI Draft Registration card gives her full name as Sarah Margaret Dickson. In 1917, they are living at 25 Knighton Street, South Manchester.

Posted: 10 May 2013 5:16PM GMT
Where did you find this? The Ellis island search doesn't bring it up.

Posted: 10 May 2013 5:30PM GMT
I don't think this is him. This Kelip McCormack is said to read and write and was a scholar. My great grandfather was illiterate. It's possible that he and his uncle (illiterate and a weaver) were switched on this form - the Capel McCormick that came on the Mongolian is listed as a weaver. Seems like a stretch though.

Posted: 10 May 2013 5:31PM GMT
per page

Find a board about a specific topic