Search for content in message boards

SC Wootens

Posted: 24 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Aug 2001 9:13PM GMT
Surnames: WOOTEN, RAINES, HATHCOCK, SMITH
Looking for Matthew Wooten married Rachel in Fairfield County abt1790 Had 10 children one was Hampton b1807 m Lenora H Raines in 1834. This part of Fairfield County later went into Richland County.

Re: SC Wootens

Posted: 18 Aug 2005 3:36AM GMT
I am looking for a Wooten from that same area of SC. Near Blythewood I think. I am looking for Mary Wooten. She was a half sister to my grandfather, Rufus Strickland. They also had a half brother, John Miles, so I assume it was Mary Miles that married a Wooten. I am also looking for anything on the Stricklands or Stricklins in that area. My ggrandfather was Thomas Strickland that married a Victoria Ann Howell and then married a second time when he was widowed. The only way we know his mothers name is because he told us. I cannot find Victoria Ann Howell anywhere.
Thanks Brenda

Glenda Inabinet (View posts)
Posted: 19 Aug 2005 1:39AM GMT
I have a lot of info on these Wootens, but I need some dates, born, died, ect. Glenda

Brenda Laney (View posts)
Posted: 19 Aug 2005 2:39AM GMT
I don't have a lot of information on Mary Wooten as far as dates but she was probably the daughter of Victoria Howell who married a Miles. So her maiden name should be Mary Miles. She was listed on my great uncle's obituary as a half sister. He was the son of Thomas H Strickland and Victoria Howell. There was also a John Miles as a half brother so he should be Mary's brother. The Stricklands had really been a dead end and I was so glad to start hearing from people who may have answers. Thank you so much for your help.
Brenda

Posted: 19 Aug 2005 4:15AM GMT
Every generation of Wootens had a wife named Mary. Was she born in 1800 or 1900 a guess on her birth date might tell me which generation of Wootens we are looking for. Glenda

Brenda Laney (View posts)
Posted: 19 Aug 2005 4:28AM GMT
I would guess she was born in the 1870s or 1880s. The children from the second marriage were born in the late 80s and 90s. I wish I had more information but the only way I knew she existed was in the obituary for Claude Strickland who died in 1936 at the age of 44. I sure like to run into unusual names when researching families. The common ones are harder. Thank you for your help.
Brenda

Posted: 19 Aug 2005 4:36AM GMT
Thats a start, I will check in a few days and let you know if I find anything. I do not have any Stricklands in my data base just lots and lots of Wootens and they are all in this part of Fairfield and Richland Counties. Glenda

Posted: 19 Aug 2005 10:08PM GMT
Thank you so much. I appreciate any help you can give me.
Brenda

Posted: 23 Jan 2011 9:31PM GMT
Surnames: Sstrickland/Ayers/Nipper
Hello,
My grandmother is Hattie Victoria Strickland born 4/17/1882 and died 2/18/1957. She is a sister to Rufus David Strickland. She was married twice, to a Frank Ayers and then to a James Walter Nipper. She lived in Columbia SC, Lexington SC and Florence AL. The information I have indicates a half brother named John Thomas Mills born 4/12/1879. There is no mention of a Mary Miles or Mary mills. Thanks for possting the picture. I will send more info if I find some. Beth
per page

Find a board about a specific topic