Search for content in message boards

Where is Gudbrandsdalen?

Where is Gudbrandsdalen?

Posted: 1 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Feb 2002 2:39AM GMT
Surnames: Engebretson, Pedersen, Reierson
Need to know where Gudbrandsdalen is located...county or whatever. Have this name as a point of origin, but I am totally ignorant of counties and parishes of Norway. My family that came over,came from there and I thought also, they mentioned a place called Elverum? My father also said that their name at one time may have been Barberstuen. Any one heard of that? Thank you, C. Nelson

Gudbrandsdalen

Kjell Skorgevik (View posts)
Posted: 3 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Gudbrandsdalen is the name of a valley in southern Norway. It starts south of Lillehammer and ends further north. Elverum is a small town in the county of Hedemark. Post a message there and you might be successful. Kjell

Gudbransdalen

Posted: 3 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 1 Jan 2003 10:10PM GMT
Surnames: Bakken, Iverson
My wife's grandmother was born Ragnild Bakken July 13, 1871 in Vaage, Gudbrandsdahl. We were told the farm name was Klugnespoken?. Is Gudbrandsdalen the same place as Gudbrandsdahl? Ragnild Bakken became Rena Iverson at about the time she came to the USA.

Reierson, Foss, Skien

Posted: 5 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 11 Jul 2001 4:57PM GMT
Surnames: Reiersen
Andreas Reiersen was probably from Foss, Gjerpen (north-east Skien), Telemark.

Sannøkedal or Sannidal is in Bamble or Kragerø, further south-west in Telemark.

Flakefjord is perhaps Flekkefjord, Vest-Agder. Tobine is used as a name there. But Engebret or Ingebret is more common in Eastern Norway.

Reierson

Karen Patton (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Reierson, Pederson, Gronaas, Engebretson
Cindy,

I would love to find out names of the surnames listed. My great grandfather was named Andrew Reierson Foss(Skein), his father was Reier Reierson. His wife's maiden name was Lavina Olson, her father was Peder Olson(Sanvekkdahl) and wife was Tobena Engebretson (Flackafjord. Peder's father was Ole Pederson.

Karen Patton

Gudbrandalen

Posted: 12 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Bakken, Iverson, Tuestad, Nelson
Yes, The correct farm name was Klognaesbakken. A kind man in Norway found my wife's great grandparents and her grandmother & siblings in the 1860 census of that area and found the great grandparents living alone on the farm in the 1900 census. Thankyou for your response. Now I need to figure out how to find my wife's great grand parents Tuestad (Nelson) and her grandfather. They were in the Haugesund area of Norway.

Jim Hopper

Gudbransdalen

Posted: 12 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 27 Mar 2002 4:06PM GMT
Surnames: Bakken
I am not sure,but could "Klugnespoken?" be Klognæsbakken
(Klognesbaekken) this is a farm name in Vaage censius 1900.
Gudbransdalen is new for Gudbrandsdahl.

Link
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/wc/webcens.exe?slag=n&a...

Tuestad

Posted: 13 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 27 Mar 2002 4:06PM GMT
Surnames: Tuestad
Do you have some more informations on Tuestad

Rena Iverson/Gudbransdalen

Posted: 31 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Bakken, Iverson, Hansdatter, Knudson
A kind gentleman living in Norway found my wife's grandmother's family in the 1865 and 1900 census for Vaaga. They lived in the Gudbrandsdalen area near Lillehammer, Norway on the farm Klonesbakken. Rena Iverson's name in Norway would have been Ragnhild Iversdatter. Her father was Ivar Knudson and her mother was Ragnhild Hansdatter. When Rena and her siblings came to America the girls changed their names from Iversdatter to Iverson which was the name the boys used. Rena also changed her first name at that time! This Rena Iverson was born July 13, 1871.

Rena Iverson

Laurie Baker (View posts)
Posted: 31 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Iverson
My great-grandmothers name was Rena Iverson, from Lillehammer, Norway - she was born in 1867. She married John Alfred Larson and resided in Wisconsin. Her father's name was Iver Olson; mother Eeli Siwrtson. May help, May not. Laurie
per page

Find a board about a specific topic