BREEN families or GRIFFEN families of Port Perry & Whitby, Ontario. Canada

BREEN families or GRIFFEN families of Port Perry & Whitby, Ontario. Canada

Posted: 25 Apr 2012 6:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: BREEN, GRIFFEN (CANDIANS)
My G.G. grandfather was Edward Breen, he moved from County
Fermanagh, Ireland and lived in the town of PORT PERRY,
Ontario. from at least 1871 to his death on Christmans day
1890. He and Mary Breen(nee Harrison) had 8 children, 7 were born in Port Perry, ONT. I am looking for decendents
of them and their children. Their names are: Mary Breen,
John Breen, Catherine(Kate)married JAMES GRIFEN had 10
children - that were orphaned in 1891 in Whitby, both parents died same year.

Also Michael Breen, Frances Jas. or Frank Breen, Margaret Breen, Sarah J. Breen, and my great grandfather Wm. Henry Breen. I cannot find anything in Ireland, so I am looking
for Canadian decendants for ANY leads. Thank-you. Debbie.

Re: BREEN families or GRIFFEN families of Port Perry & Whitby, Ontario. Canada

Posted: 15 Aug 2012 7:40PM GMT
Surnames: Breen, Griffin, McCrohan
James Griffin b 1850 in Whitby, ON (subsequently married Catherine Breen) is my great grand uncle. His sister Margaret b 12 Jun 1860 married John James Thompson b Jun 1864 -- their daughter Annie Margaret b 15 Sep 1895 married Francis Abraham Joseph Gallagher b 4 Nov 1894 and became my grandparents (their youngest son John was my father).

The informant for James Griffin's death in 1891 was E.O. McCrohan and I've been trying to establish a family connection with this fella. I believe his name was Eugene Owen McCrohan, owner of the Central Hotel in Oshawa, ON. My 2nd gr grandmother (James Griffin's mother) was Julia McCrohan.

Deborah, I have more info on Breen & Griffin family members if you're still interested. Let me know your email address and I'll send it along.

Posted: 21 Aug 2012 1:00PM GMT
Surnames: McCrohan
I, too, am trying to trace people in this area, but coming from the McCrohan angle.

What I believe I have so far is
Eugene Owen McCrohan, dancehall promoter, and father of Denis and Jerry (McCrohan/Edmonton/Mars Bonfire...Steppenwolf...)
was married to Margaret (Miller??), and that Eugene's father was also eugene.

I'd be very interested in any more info in this area..
email is
mmccrohan
at
gmail
dot-com
-Mike

Posted: 21 Aug 2012 1:59PM GMT
Hello, mmccrohan1. Looks like you and I are on similar research paths. I would like nothing more than to be able to connect my 2nd gr grandmother Julia Griffin (nee McCrohan) to those fabulous Steppenwolf rockers! All I seem to have found so far, though, are small pieces of the puzzle.

I stumbled across an interesting blog today which mentions Eugene McCrohan Sr:

"When we have the Easter potluck at Margot's some of the adults inevitably end up in her back hall asking questions about all of her relatives photographs hanging on the wall. They include her husband Tim Hill's relatives also and she pauses as she remembers each name along with some pertinent information as to how they connect with the Lomen's, David's, Hill's or Weaver's (my paternal grandmother Vella's maiden name). At some point I may mention or maybe I've always kept it to myself but I've often thought, "There should be some McCrohan's up here too." Who are the McCrohan's you may wonder? Well if the 1918 national flu epidemic hadn't killed Frank J. McCrohan on December 19, 1918 in Nelson, B.C., Canada then the Lomen name would never have been connected to his wife Vella Vernell Weaver McCrohan, daughter Rosemary McCrohan and son Francis (Jerry) McCrohan. Frank's death certificate indicates that he died at the age of 33 of an "Embolism in the Main" which is a blockage of the main artery of the lung by something such as a blood clot. Apparently his father, Eugene McCrohan who lived in Whitby, Ontario outside Toronto either was with him when he died or handled the identification and the burial of his son in Nelson, B.C. which is 150 miles north of Spokane, Wa. on the extreme West Arm of Kootenay Lake in southern British Columbia."

http://tellthemwillieboyishere.blogspot.ca/2011/02/mccrohanl...

I've found a register for Frank Jeremiah McCrohan dated 30 Apr 1912 when he married Mary Vella Vernel Weaver in Nelson, BC.

Posted: 21 Aug 2012 2:07PM GMT
Surnames: McCrohan
Here's another valuable link about the McCrohan family:
http://www.mccrohan.net/modules.php?name=News&file=artic...

Posted: 25 Aug 2012 7:23PM GMT
Surnames: Breen, Griffin
Hello Donna, so sorry this has taken so long.
I kinda took a break from working on my
tree. But YES I'm very interested in
learned about James & Catherine's
history. I have hit a dead end with them.
i have no idea where all their children
when when their parents died in 1891.
Thank-you, hot to hear from you soon.
Deb Breen

Posted: 26 Aug 2012 1:25PM GMT
Hi, Deborah. Please see below for what I currently have for James & Catherine. I am making a visit to the Whitby Library Archives next Saturday and hope to obtain more info.

James Griffin b abt 1850 Whitby, ON; d 29 Oct 1891 Whitby, ON
3 Sep 1877 married Catherine Breen b 1850 Manchester, ON; d 19 Jun 1891 Whitby, ON

10 children:
Jeremiah b Jan 1878 Whitby, ON; d 29 Mar 1878 Toronto, ON
Mary E b 29 May 1878; d before 1930
married Patrick J Riley b abt 1874 California (they appear on 1920 US census; Patrick Riley is a widower on the 1930 US census)
James E b abt 1880
William b 1881
John b 1882
Francis Joseph b 20 Mar 1883 Whitby, ON; d 20 Mar 1927 Toronto, ON
Eugene Michael b 29 Sep 1886
Charles b 1885
Ellen b 25 Feb 1888

Francis Joseph Griffin was a real estate broker. He died in Toronto 20 Mar 1927. Informant of his death was his brother Eugene. Eugene's name appears as “Eugene Breen” on Frank's death registration.

WW1 Attestation Papers
Francis Griffin 207 Sherbourne St Toronto, single, b 20 March 1883, born Whitby, salesman, next of kin: Mrs Mary Riley, SISTER, Grass Valley California.
He was 5'5", fair complexion, blue eyes, fair hair.
Reg # 3091003.

Posted: 27 Aug 2012 5:00AM GMT
Hello Donna. Thanks for the information. You are going
to my old library that i used in high school. I live
15 minutes from there. I could meet you there and work
on it together. Just an idea.

I would love to find out where all these children grew up,
they were still young when their parents died. My email
is db.breen@hotmail.com. Talk to you soon. Deb.

McCrohan families in Whitby, Ontario

Posted: 9 Jan 2013 9:49PM GMT
I have had a breakthrough in connecting my 2nd gr grandmother Julia McCrohan to the other McCrohan families living in Whitby, Ontario in the late 1800s. If anyone is interested in further details, message me here at Ancestry.

Posted: 11 Jan 2013 10:21PM GMT
"My G.G. grandfather was Edward Breen, he moved from County
Fermanagh, Ireland "

Remember , Fermanagh is in Northern Ireland, so records
may be in NI, UK or GB........
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions